Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Lee mould .38 Spec. C358-158-SWC

Boolit Master

Lee mould .38 Spec. C358-158-SWC

Has anyone used this mould? I'd like to hear results. It looks a LOT like the old Lyman 358156. I've used the Lyman a lot, but that mould has gotten away from me. It was a bullet that was very accurate, & did not lead in my .357.

The Lee is pretty inexpensive as moulds go & I've had great results with most I've tried. I wonder if anyone has used this bullet & how it performed.

Thanks.
    Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Man
    I've had one since the late 80's.
    Abused the heck out of it back then, young and dumb and just wanted to shoot.
    But after finding this site a few yrs ago, and learning how to cast and treat my molds, I "leement'ed" it and it is still in service.
    Love it!
    Performs admirably in all of my .38, .357 firearms.
    Highly recommend it! You cannot beat it for the price!

Boolit Master

I also have used mine since the 80s. I have a double cavity and a single cavity hollow point version. Yes, it does look a lot like the Lyman as my dad has the Lyman mold. I haven't shot as many of those with gas checks as I have as 38SP plinkers without gas checks. Great boolit. FRank

Boolit Buddy
    If you distinguish between crimp grooves and lube grooves then compare the meplat of each you will discern significant differences. I say significant because some of my guns can and do discern a difference between the Lee C358-158- SWC and the Lyman 358156.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master

I use that bullet for full power .357 loads and have had good results.

Not so much without the gas check.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Mold
    I'm glad everyone likes that Lee mold as I ordered that same one about 2 weeks ago. It just shipped today so hopefully next weekend I will be able to try it out.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

+1 on the good results in 357. Mine's a Rossi rifle. This bullet works well mild to wild.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee version in a two cavity. Had it since the 70s ( if my memory is correct). I have used it in a variety of 38 Special revolves and also in 357 revolvers. All the loads were put up in 38 Special cases including some loads with 2400 powder that were as one author wrote "...as accurate as wadcutters... ". Those were loaded long in 38 Special cases and only shot from 357 revolvers., In my case, M19s, M27s and M686s. All responded well to the recipe.

I still have the mold in my inventory but do not use it much as I have mostly retired the 35 caliber bore in favor of the 45 caliber. But when I used them, they were pretty good.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Man
    I'm going to find out later today just how much I like them. The fedex truck dropped off a six cav mold for me yesterday.

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellows.
    I'd have answered sooner, but the internet gremmlins got to us for almost two days & we couldn't get on the net.
    Thanks.
    Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

I have loaded thousands with and without check. Its always met all my needs...
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms