Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Lyman 319247 (Plain Base) In A Mosin Anyone?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 319247 (Plain Base) In A Mosin Anyone?

Well, this is really similar to my 7.7 Arisaka question I posted on another thread regarding this boolit, but I'll ask it for the Mosin as well. I have the Lyman 319247 mold. It's a plain-base boolit. Sized to .3155 it weighs in at 160gr.

My M44 has a .3135 groove diameter. I'd like to shoot it at approx. 1500 fps. Don't know if I can push a PB boolit faster.

Anyone used this boolit in a Mosin? I'm thinking 14-16gr. of 2400.

Thoughts?

Emrah

Boolit Grand Master
    16 grs. of 2400 may just be pushing the edge of things ?

Have you thought about 11.5 - 12.5 grs. of Unique with your plain based bullets ?

HONCHO EMERITUS

+1 on the Unique. I've yet to find a rifle that didn't love reduced loads with Unique. No worries about position sensitivity with Unique just like with 2400.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master

+ another on Unique. Bullseye from 5.5 - 7 gr if you want excellent accuracy in the 1050 - 1200 fps range.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Unique it is then! Ben said 11.5 to 12.5. Is this from experience with this boolit or a similar one? It's really hard to get any data on this particular boolit, as it's not very popular.

Emrah

emrah, Three suggestions for you: First, try that CB "as cast" v. a second group sized to no more than .3145" or .314" if the .3145" isn't "doable." Second, tumble lube them in Lee Liquid Alox or Lar's Liquid Xlox. Third, I've been shooting the group buy Lee 150-TL-PB bullet (actual wt. is only 140gr. though) in my .30-06 with 8.7gr. Unique and am quite happy with the results. (See atttached image.) Btw, I use a Lyman pistol powder measure with calibrated "rotors" to charge my cases and 8.7gr. of Unique is what rotor X drops.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm just trying to see how fast I can push this particular boolit and still be a sub-100 yard deer rifle in a pinch. 1500 fps isn't a lot, but it's do-able.

Do you all think a small tuft of Dacron or Cream Of Wheat would help? I know 2400 and Unique are not position sensitive; I'm asking if it will help seal gases and act as a "sort-of-kind-of-makeshift" gas check of sorts.

Emrahh

Boolit Buddy
    Well, went to the range today and the results were promising, but not perfect.

I decided to try 12.0 grains of Unique. I only loaded up about a dozen rounds, so I didn't get a chance to fine tune too much, but from 50 yards, they shot into a couple of inches. The elevation and windage were way off, but I didn't have enough rounds loaded up to get a better read.

What's not so good is that it leaded up pretty quickly. I sized the boolits to .315 and it needed pretty heavy camming to get the bolt to close. Ok, not REAL heavy, but if definitely took some pressure, so I doubt I could size them any bigger.

I guess my last resort with this rifle is to try a gas-checked boolit. Not sure if cream of wheat or something similar would work?

It's kind of frustrating, but I can't seem to get any load, jacketed, cast, whatever, to fire accurately (without leading) out of this thing. But it's my favorite rifle to shoot! Oh the conundrum!

Emrah

Boolit Bub
    You could try 13 gr of Red Dot.
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Boolit Buddy
    What will Red Dot do for me? Just curious as I've never used it and it's mentioned a lot. I think right now my issues are trying to seal gas in a PB boolit, and then probably a rough bore.

Emrah

11g of Trailboss is one load i shoot quite a bit in Mosin Nagants with 180-210g plainbase bullets.it will do 2 MOA 5 shot groups @100 and 200 (sometimes much better) in scoped Russian guns with good bores.

here are two consecutive 10 shot groups at 200 with a Modern Bond 190g pointed plainbase.Very typical grouping in light wind.
    A load of 7.5 of Bullseye is about as good.

(click picture to enlarge and see load data)

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 08-31-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Instead of chasing powders, I would try several different charge weights with what you are using now. You will probably find one that works sooner that way.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    My first try with a 8x57JR combination gun was with a tapered 200gr Saeco 32-40 boolit cast 25-1 and panlubed. I took a wild guess and shot good groups on the first try with 18gr AA5744. The boolit had its base in the neck and then the cartridge was thumbed into the chamber. I fired them singly and never tried to extract a loaded round because I have no doubt the boolit would have been left in the throat/leade.

My suspicion is that you Mosin would be happier with a heavier boolit. Too the boolit is gonna have to "fit" or it isn't gonna shoot worth a hoot.

Boolit Bub
    PB bullets don't like my Polish M44. They gas cut along the trailing edge of the lands.
    Dacron I found works on H5744.
    Corn meal/cream of wheat does too but leaves "toast" in the bore.

Red dot will;
    1) Cheap
    2) Bulky for weight (helps fill all that empty space a bit)
    3) Fast powder so helps slug up a bit.

Boolit Master
    Dumb question - but have you verified that the neck diameter of loaded rounds is in fact a hair smaller than that of fired rounds? My Russian MN's all have fairly small chambers and roomy bores... where usual rifles run the other way around....

Boolit Bub
    I was trying to load a 165gr 32-40 bullet sized to .316" so I could get the .001" over bore.
    My m-n did not like that arrangement so I'm forced to go bore dia only. .315" is all I can get away with, without lapping the chambers neck.