WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30 cal @ 1700-1800 fps

308 win with 24 gr xmr 5744 that load seems tobe pretty accurate but am still testing other loads and gas checks.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    My bullets have been right around 14-15 BHN and having the shallow hp I figure if the hp works great if it doesn't expand well then it's a flat point with a dimple in it. If the hp gets torn off well there should still be plenty of weight behind it to do the job. I will post picks if I am able to get the opportunity to shoot a black bear with this bullet. I like your pics Larry. I wish more people would post there pics. I try to remember and take the time to snap a couple pictures when I go hunting. It's always nice to look back on them. A while back I found a old pic of a black bear i shot and I had kind of forgot about it. After looking at the pic I could remember every thing about that hunt and that was 20 years ago.
    having the shallow hp I figure if the hp works great if it doesn't expand well then it's a flat point with a dimple in it. If the hp gets torn off well there should still be plenty of weight behind it to do the job.

That's it exactly. Trick is to simply use a malleable alloy that expands well enough and a HP that is not too deep so the expansion petals slough or break off. A 14 - 15 BHn should do well although mine are down in the 11-12 BHN range. I've had nothing but excellent results to 200 yards ever since I went that route.

I took a lot of pictures in my younger days and then kind of let it go by the wayside. Wish I hadn't now. We think we'll remember every hunt and every moment but we don't, they all are forgotten or fade into one. Pictures and trophies bring back the memories for sure. I'm working on getting my old photo's on electron so I can post them or email to old hunting partners.

Larry Gibson

Banned

31gr of IMR 3031 in a 30-06

I have been using Lyman 311041 FN GC bullets in my 308 with 20 grs 5744 powder. Even though this load is only about 1600-1700 fps, I have shot 1 deer at 110 yds (broadside shot through heart) and one feral hog at 100 yds (frontal shot into chest cavity). Both were dead on the spot. Well, the deer ran about 20 ft before falling. The hog, 130 pounds live weight, went straight down at the shot. 30-cal flatnose boolits at reasonable range will kill like Thor's hammer. My boolits were air-cooled wheel weights.