Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many variables-where to start?

Boolit Bub
    I'll throw one more log on the fire. The source of the 96/2/2 alloy isn't mentioned. There is the possibility that the alloy batch (or a dirty casting pot) is producing boolits with nasty contaminants (not necessarily visible) that can aggravate leading. Be sure the alloy is clean (well fluxed) before casting. If contaminants are part of the problem, try casting/fluxing at a higher temperature to force the crud (aluminum, zinc, silicon, etc) into the dross.

UPDATE!

I switched to BAC lube and dropped down to 18.5 grains of 2400. Mo better! I shot 3 cylinders full and then pushed a tight patch through with Kroil. Very little leading. Only a little bit just ahead of the forcing cone. Accuracy was very good as well. I put a scope on my 629 to check accuracy. I personally have a hell of a time shooting "groups" with a pistol. I can put cans, clay pigeons, etc out there and bust them all day. But shooting groups off the bench is a whole different story....

handloder: I'm using lead I bought off blammer. I was actually shocked how shiny the bullets came out. They look like werewolf killers! I have been shooting a 360429 hollow point bullet in my 357 and they mushroom perfect! Good stuff.

William/subsonic/rintinglen: I seated a bullet and then pulled it out so see if they are being swagged down. I come up with .0004 smaller. This was without crimping the bullet. (i'm assuming this is the correct way to measure)

I'm going to work the charge up and see where I can go with it.

Once again, thanks for all the input you guys!!!
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

-Chesterton