Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lubing For Indoor Shooting

Boolit Bub

Lubing For Indoor Shooting

I am reloading 45 auto for indoor shooting. I am looking to cut down on some of the smoke. I am using a die with two lube grooves and would like to see if it would be safe to just lube one groove?

Just want to get some opinions.

I am using soft lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Im SURE randyrat will be buy shortly to tell you about his TAC#1 lube
    I have some boolets lubed up with it but haven't shot them yet.
    By all accounts it is a top notch product, noted for having de minimis smoke output
    He is a pleasant guy to deal with, maybe if you ask really nicely he will send you a sample

...and yes, at least according to LEE, its ok to fill one lube groove for light loads, I haven't personally tried it though, I dont run light loads, lol

I have heard that for the most part, lube with Alox in it will smoke more. I would bet your "soft" lube has a lot of it.
    Last edited by gofastman; 04-22-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Banned

lubing only one groove will quite often increase accuracy.
    alox does have a tendency to smoke and some powders do too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I can attest to that... I use Recluse 45/45/10 lube with Unique. A tastey combination to provide maximum smokiness. I figure with that lube and powder combo, I don't have to be all that accurate as I'll be making my own smokescreen that I can use to make my retreat!
    _coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

Boolit Master
    My question is: what do you mean by safe?
    You can shoot 'em unlubed. Might get some leading, but it is certainly safe for few shots.
    Generally, in .45ACP and .38 Special, you will be better off lubing ONLY the lower lube groove
    Generally, in .45ACP and .38 Special, you be just as well off with no more than a LIGHT tumble lube in LLA or Recluse's 45/45/10.
    Have fun, report your findings, and stay safe.

Boolit Bub
    I have always thought more lube the better. Building axles, chains on chainsaws, between the sheets, etc. I just figured this was the same case. I heard that lube causes smoke, no lube causes lead. Never heard of just lubing one groove untill couple days ago. Just wanted to check with the pros. Got 150 rounds loaded up, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Boolit Master

With the Lyman 452460, I have always just lubed the bottom gruve. All has been well. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Alox and Bullseye is a smoky, acrid combination. Accurate but stinky.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

With the .45 auto indoors I have found Rooster Jacket lube and Clays powder to be the least annoying combination. As a previous poster mentioned Bullseye is accurate but acrid and smokey.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cf_coder View Post
    I can attest to that... I use Recluse 45/45/10 lube with Unique. A tastey combination to provide maximum smokiness. I figure with that lube and powder combo, I don't have to be all that accurate as I'll be making my own smokescreen that I can use to make my retreat!
    haha. yea. people thought i was using black powder.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master
    I use BE and Recluse 45/45/10 lube. So far I haven't noticed that much smoke. Of course I shoot outside and that may be fannin' the smoke before I can see it. Use the same in 9mm and .45 Colt and just haven't noticed that much smoke.

Now BP, that's a totally different story. It's supposed to smoke and I love to shoot BP at the outside range in Knoxville. The range officer always gives me grief when I show up with my smokepole. Lol. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Finder View Post
    I am reloading 45 auto for indoor shooting. I am looking to cut down on some of the smoke. I am using a die with two lube grooves and would like to see if it would be safe to just lube one groove?

Just want to get some opinions.

I am using soft lube.
    All I can say is try the TAC#1 for the least smoke of anything I have tried. You want a sample PM me.
    I enjoy almost smoke FREE shooting. Bring mosquito repellant in the summer for out door shooting and quit smoking.

Lube & powder combos seem to control the amount of smoke. I like WST & WL CR.

Boolit Bub
    Ordered up some Tac#1. Will report back when I get some results.

Banned

I havent tried tac 1 but the least smokey lube ive found and what i use in indoor comp is lars corduba lube.

Boolit Master
    I use Tac#1. Works great! You won't be disappointed.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Bub
    OK! Tac#1 got here today! Got some zip lube also. Now I need to clean all the old lube out of my Lube/Sizer (it is possable that lube is older than I am). I was going to use it up but patience is something I save for my kids.

Boolit Bub
    By the way Randy was a great guy to deal with. Offered me samples but due to all the people standing behind his product I figured I would go ahead and buy some. He sent the samples anyway. That has good dude written all over it. Fast shipping and good communication and all that good stuff also.