Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 Load question

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Guess that makes me a bit of a slacker in this bunch.
    Better look out a lynch mob is forming under a big Oak tree.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    Better look out a lynch mob is forming under a big Oak tree.

Could get a mite crowded behind that tree.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Thanks, I feel a bit better. I still have a few rifles I haven't bought moulds for. Guess that makes me a bit of a slacker in this bunch.
    Good morning
    No ... you are in no ways a slacker. Just some others have had a head start.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning to you, my friend! I did get a late start in this CB game but I'm catching up as fast as I can. Plan this year is to take it slow and focus on one rifle at a time and re-visiting the 45-70 is a few steps down the list but it's a fascinating round. Can't wait to dabble with it again.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Me too.....just waiting on a 500 grain flatpoint from Tom at Accurate molds. Should be here any day now. Can hardly wait for this snow to disappear so I can get busy casting and shooting.

Boolit Bub
    I've used IMR 3031 exclusively for hunting loads - cast and jacketed - in .45-90 and .45-70 Marlins and vintage Winchester '86's for 33 years. Fills the case nicely and can be used for low or high velocities. Only other powder I've used is H110 for bear loads in a .45-70 and 400gr Barnes SP bullets. At 1886fps they will punch an impressive hole in just about anything from any angle and pulverize anything they encounter in the process.

Boolit Man
    As already mentioned, your velocity level was standard with the .45-70 for many years and was effective on game. If you are happy with the performance, then I would second the comment that 'if if works, don't change it.' Personally I would not use the filler, and you might want to try one batch without it to see if there is any difference.
    If you want increased velocity I would not recommend increasing the amount of Unique. The pressure could spike quickly with this type of fast burning powder.
    I would recommend, if you are looking for 1400-1600 fps two powder choices that have worked well for me - 2400 and Reloder 7. With 2400 I can easily attain 1400-1500 fps and it is also economical. With Reloder 7 I can get a nice even 1600 fps without any pressure signs and good accuracy. The beauty of both of these powders, in my experience, is that there is no unburned powder granules in the barrel.
    With other powders recommended, such as 4198 and 3031, I found a lot of unburned powder in the barrel, and some will always fall back into the chamber or action. Unless, of course, I raise the pressure and start shooting up around 1800 fps, which is too much recoil for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I also load for the 45-70 and would stick within the limits recomended by reputable loading manuals. They have access to presure testing equipment that that most of us can only dream of. Hodgons has lots of loads on their web site for the 45-70. Good luck.

Greg B.

TxGunNut,
    My Lyman 4th Edition lists for Ruger #1, and 3 the 405gr
    and IMR 4198 as potentially the most accurate load.
    Start 40.0 gr. at 1684 fps. and 26,800 cup
    and 44.5gr. at 1881 fps. and 38,300 cup as a max load.

Good luck,
    Barry

Boolit Master
    Make sure you develop a process to prevent over charges.

you don't need the filler

SR4759, 5744 and Trail Boss might be good candidates.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    I use 46 gr of IMR 3031 in my Marlin 45/70 with the 405 gr remington bullet. Its more than enough for anything in N/A and about all I want to shoot. Actually the load your shooting will handle anything in N/A and then some. Get yourself a good manual or 2 or go online to the Hodgdens loading center, lots of good info there. FRJ

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys....all good info. Weather here is just starting to get nice so I should be smelting and casting soon.

Boolit Master

A 405 gr. at 1350 will kill anything you want it to here in the USA, with proper bullet placement and reasonable ranges. The .44 magnum handgun round with a 300 gr. bullet at about 1200 fps has been known to take down our largest animals, and the load you are shooting is quite a bit more than that. If the accuracy level is where you want it, that Unique load will do just fine, and save some bucks on powder.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

A friend is of the bigger/faster bunch

He was loading 500 gr boolit ahead of 52 grains of IMR 3031. Each shot out of his #1 was accurate, but after 3 his shoulder started to require attention, of the medical kind.

He knew I shot marlin rifle in 45-70 so he asked what I loaded. My load was also a "Hot" load for a lever gun of 48 gr of IMR 3031. BUT behind a 330 Flat point boolit. That goes about 1700+ feet/second and will get your attention. It also knocks doe deer and hogs, like a beehive round out of a 105MM.

I load my Uberti 30 inch barrel rifle with a duplex load of 4 gr of fast powder and 55 gr of 2f black, behind a Lee 500 gr boolit, it reaches 1000 meters and makes a loud twang on the creedmore buff.

I'm sure it would kill any of my interned targets, just as well as the lighter boolit does, but the boys at the club would accuse me of eating too many hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

1300 FPS is plenty, if you can "dope the drop", when ranges get longer.

Have fun.
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys.....so at what velocity would I need to start thinking about gas checks on my rounds? I am thinking 1600-1700, or is there indicators that will tell me when they need to be used?

Boolit Master
    For a serious gun, for serious work I'd consider a slightly heavier gas check bullet for those speeds and beyond, also a wide meplat will add to the affect. For upper end loads i like the mid range powders like RL-7, AA2015, 3031, H-322, H-335, etc....For cream puff loads Trail Boss is good.

Boolit Master

My most used load in my 45-70 marlin is 15 gr unique over a 350 gr ranch dog boolit. Gives me 1300 fps and has never given me a hangfire.

Given a good shooter, that combo will do 1" 3 shot groups.

MY other load is 51 gr h322 under the same boolit. Much more recoil.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.