RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Reloading 7.62x45 with 7.62x39 dies?

Boolit Master

Reloading 7.62x45 with 7.62x39 dies?

It looks like the shoulder and top part of the body are really similar between the two cartridges. I'm wondering if anyone else has reloaded the x45 ammo with x39 dies. I realize that I would esessiantially be neck sizing only for the semi auto vz52, but the only proper dies I can find for 7.62x45 are custom made and cost a fortune. Anyone else tried the x39 dies and what kind of success did you have?

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't tried it, but IF the cartridge drawings are close it might work. Another idea for neck sizing that might work would be a set of .32 pistol dies, either .32 ACp or .32S&W or H&R.

Have you tried CH4D for dies? They seem to be about the least expensive for oddball cartridges.

Robert

Boolit Master

I bought a set of Lee 7.62x45 dies that were custom produced for a Group Buy on one of the Forums I am a member of. You might want to regularly do searches for them, and see if someone does it again.

The two cartridges look a bit different, and I'd be afraid of an explosion:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x45mm_vz._52
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x39mm

The outside neck diameters are different, with the x39 allowing a lot thicker neck and a lot smaller shoulder, and I don't see the shoulder angle anywhere. If you try it, make sure you have free chambering, or you risk a Darwin award.

Boolit Bub
    Not possible!
    The 39 has a 17* angle the 54R has an 18*.......close
    The shoulder Dia of the 39 is .396" the 54R's shoulder is .455"........way off!
    The bottom of the shoulder on the 39 is .339" dia the 54R's is .336......too big
    The neck Dia on the 3c is . 337" and the 54R's is only .335.........good luck getting that to chamber!

Not to mention that the big tapered body of the 54R would be crushed down to .443" about 1/2" from the base of the case!