Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lead bullets should be banned at the range?

The question relevant to this thread is not whether lead is toxic (it is, of course), but whether you are likely to get lead poisoning while pursuing the shooting sports. As long as you can refrain from licking your bullets or snorting the contents of your bullet trap, then history has shown that the answer is no, you are not likely to.

I have been poisoning gophers with pellets laced with strychnine for decades. Strychnine is pretty toxic stuff. So after dosing the gopher hole, I don't lick the spoon. I wash my hands. I don't sniff the carton the poison comes in. Pretty simple, really. Fortunately, though, the gophers haven't figured it out.

... even smoke detectors, someing most people rely on for safety in their sleep, require an amount of radioactive material to function.
    Thanks. Now I'll never be able to sleep knowing there is radioactivity in my bedroom!

Welcome aboard hrdwarhax.

So, sulphur removes lead from out bodies? So does vitamin C apparently. It even removes mercury. And if you think radioactivity is scary, think mercury. And guess what? We all have it in our teeth! Fillings. It's actually more dangerous to have mercury fillings removed than left in place. It's also dangerous to have them put in. Just eating tuna is dangerous because of mercury. So what's all this fuss about lead? Oh yes, take simple precautions and don't get obsessive about it. Stressing will do more harm than the lead! Eggs are rich in sulphur.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

First words out of my mouth would of been screw you, who the f*** do you think you are, then lastly get your a** upwind and leave my alone.
    Then i'd have to plainly let them know, I don't give a flying rats a** what you think of lead.

If lead was that toxic, the human race wouldn't exist

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    So, sulphur removes lead from out bodies? So does vitamin C apparently. It even removes mercury. And if you think radioactivity is scary, think mercury. And guess what? We all have it in our teeth! Fillings. It's actually more dangerous to have mercury fillings removed than left in place. It's also dangerous to have them put in. Just eating tuna is dangerous because of mercury. So what's all this fuss about lead? Oh yes, take simple precautions and don't get obsessive about it. Stressing will do more harm than the lead! Eggs are rich in sulphur.
    Agreed! I cast boolits. I reload my own ammo. I shoot my firearms.

Wanna know what the results of my last lead test was? Below the minimum detectable level by the standard blood test. Not sure how low that is, but if my doc can't find any evidence of lead in my blood, I'm thinking it's not an issue.

So how do I achieve these amazing results? Basic hygiene!

I wash my hands after casting or loading. I cast in the garage with the door open and a fan blowing past me to the outdoors. I keep my casting area picked up. Simple, basic precautions, and it works.

There is too many out there dose not really understand about things that orthers do and then try to push there ways on someone else. It is not only with lead bullets but also with anything else. I see it with trapping and with hunting . There is some you can explain and change there minds as long you go past there thinking ,I have gone to the point that of just that the extremand they start to think different. I done it with trapping when I was out scouting a area and I had them mouth off to me and after I was done they hope to see me back and I told them you will not because you told me not to come back and they did not know what to think after. As for the club and for what was first posted they need to be remove from the club because they are not up to for what they are there for .As for what was written before ask for there card if they are there and take the info and have them banned.there are too many that join a club or membership to something to get info for who they really belong to and use it for ammo on there way of thinking.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    Trapper, I don't understand anything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Impact View Post
    There I was having a conversation on the firing line with a guy about how fun it is to cast and shoot my own bullets, when this guy and his wife come over and start giving me a rash of #$#& about how non-jacketed boolits should be banned and how I was endangering everyone’s health by shooting them. You see I’m spreading poison gas according to him. Im a southern gentleman I don’t release gas unless a finger is offered prior to the event. I might be able to understand if we were in an indoor range but we were outside with a stiff wind to boot.

You know, one of the reasons I go to the range is to escape all the liberal BS that I’m bombarded with on a daily basis, and to be around people with some sense. I hope this isn’t a trend.
    This would have gotten them to thinking...... "Well now, if that's what you believe, you best remove the wheel weights from your tires. Just think how much they are contaminating the air.....for every 1,000 miles you drive, your lead wheel weights have traveled 11,180,000 feet (assuming 14" wheels x 4). Compare that to the measly 300 feet my bullets are traveling. Yep, best get those wheel weights off, pronto!.....

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Mold
    thank you 303guy

and thank you koehlerrk. now we have some real science. im happy with how the thread has progressed.
    we are all generally in agreement, lead should not be banned because if you are contaminated, you CAN remove it from your body. like, what 303 said, mercury and other heavy metals. with greator exposure comes greater chance of poisoning but simple hygene and having a diverse healthy diet can and will decrease your chance of a deadly dose.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    I would have asked her if she was walking home.

My 2007 research stated that there is an estimated 1814 tons of lead particulate released into the atmosphere each yr. in the USA. Compared to tire and brake particulate of 280- 290 million tons released in the USA. Of which iirc, there is 5 toxic heavy metals included.
    That is my usual answer to such, which leaves the idiots stuttering if not speechless and dumbfounded.
    Dave

Boolit Buddy
    My questtion is just how long lead remains in the air as a vapor. My guess would be not very long, so unless you are eating lead sinkers it should not be a problem. Mercury vapors are also very bad but mercury is not (extreamly slightly soluable in water) so unless you are huffing vapors it is not dangerous either.
    Where as muratic acid and battery acid are vapors with do great damage to lung tissue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdwarhax View Post
    thank you 303guy

and thank you koehlerrk. now we have some real science. im happy with how the thread has progressed.
    we are all generally in agreement, lead should not be banned because if you are contaminated, you CAN remove it from your body. like, what 303 said, mercury and other heavy metals. with greator exposure comes greater chance of poisoning but simple hygene and having a diverse healthy diet can and will decrease your chance of a deadly dose.
    No problem, glad to help out. All this talk about "XXXX is dangerous and should be banned" just gets me all kinds of upset.

As a kid, my dear old dad explained to me that doing anything could be made safe or dangerous, what made the difference was how you went about doing the job.

Keep in mind he used to weld car gasoline tanks with an oxy-acetelyne torch. I personally helped him weld over a dozen. There is a very specific procedure he followed, and if followed to the letter, well, he never had a problem welding those tanks.

Dangerous? Sure, but nothing unreasonable if you followed the correct procedure.

Funny how lots of things in life are like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdwarhax View Post
    now we have some real science.
    We do?

Great!

Where is it? May I have the citation to it, please?

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    They took the lead out of paint because all the ghetto babies were teething on the painted surfaces and ingesting lead. Too bad as it would have eliminated some of our current social problems.
    Nah, it just lowered their IQ's to the level of Obama voters.

MJ

Um, like oil where do these morons think lead comes from?

Reminds me of the idiot standing next to me at the handgun counter asking how well the Beretta 92fs will work if it's thrown in the mud... The guy behind the counter saw me snap my head and responded to the customer, "Probably not well, don't throw your guns into the mud."

Boolit Bub

Illustrates the difference between human intelligence and human stupidity...human intelligence has limits. You can lead a horse to reason, but you can't make them think. THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!! GET YOUR TIN FOIL HELMETS ON NOW!!!

P.S. Might also point out to them how toxic lead is at high speed.
    Last edited by hubcap52; 04-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Don't forget that yesterday's scientific facts are today's BS.

Science evolves and gets manipulated.
    Yep, wasn't so many years ago that the greatest scientists and thinkers thought the world was flat or rested on a turtle's back.

Facts are just like statistics. They don't lie, but liars use them just the same. Science itself doesn't evolve. TRUE scientists continue to learn and change what they know/believe.
    Last edited by hubcap52; 04-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.

I personally think all the hype of lead hazards is a load of cr*p. I cast in the basement, without proper ventilation. I eat and drink while both casting and smelting, without washing my hands. I haven't followed the "don't do this or that" list wile handling lead in general. Every year they check for it for me on my blood draw during my annual poke and prod. Yet my levels don't show any signs of lead exposure past just breathing the air. My Dr. told me that if I don't eat the lead it's self, and continue to eat a lot of fresh green veggies as a part of my diet I will be just fine. It's worked for me so far for the past 15 years of casting so I don't think I'm gonna change just because the liberals are afraid of there own shadows.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Trapper, I don't understand anything you said.
    I understood Trapper just fine.
    There is some you can explain and change there minds as long you go past there thinking ...
    Exactly. Not always easy and we're not always in the mood but sometimes these folks are ripe for 're-education' if approached right (but not always!) In this case one should remember that lead really is toxic and dangerous (especially at high speed) but these folks have been bullsh@t to and that needs correcting. If left to their misconceptions or worse, made to feel indignant, they will do harm to our hobby. If shown the light, they will likely benefit us. Maybe even join us. That's how I see it anyway. Thing is, these folks might be quite fine in their own right and not all of us are up to engaging with them but some of us are. The real issue is that there does exist such erroneous beliefs and ideas and that can be quite damaging.

My Dr. told me that if I don't eat the lead it's self, and continue to eat a lot of fresh green veggies as a part of my diet I will be just fine.
    Nora, that's encouraging news.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-23-2012 at 03:22 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Vendor Sponsor

Plenty of stupid people on this rock. The biggest problem with our system of democracy is that it lets everyone vote.

When you can buy a mans vote by telling him you are going to give him stuff, and you never give him stuff, and he still votes for you again the next time cuz he's still waitng for his stuff.

That's stupid !!!

I take a more agressive stance on educating stupids. When ones comes at me with BS. My first question is where did you get that BS from? You believed who? How stupid are you? You obviously know nothing about what you are talking about!!! Why are you spreading this BS? You need to stop right now cuz you don't know what you are talking about. Do you like being used? you ARE!

I really don't like people who spread BS !!!I consider it to be LYING !!!

Do us all a favor and the next time you hear someone spreading obvious BS, call them out !! and don't be affraid to get loud and offensive. I mean jump right into their SHIP. The more agressive you are the faster they will fold up and leave.

This current administration has made a living off lying to people and betting that they wouldn't get called out on it.

Oh it wouldn't be presidential to call Obama a LIAR? That's exactly what he is! Are you supposed to lie too and just not say anything?

If people are willing to let lying go, then they will just have to live with the consequences of a liberal government. Conservatives don't generally knowingly tell lies to the public to get their way. Or at least as often or as blatantly.

I was watching the TV show "Mad Men" Last night and Roger took hjis wife to an LSD party given by some Psychs. The head psych got into "the relative degrees of truth." This is a liberal concept that states since there are no absolutes, there is no complete truth. It is always relative. This is psycho-babble, which is another word for BS. Oh, by the way "spin" is just another PC term for BS or distorting the truth towards your sides adgenda, and lying to the people.

If you watch them, Liberals all run this BS. There is no black and white, only gray. "He didn't have sex with that woman" Well in HIS MIND a BJ is not sex, so he felt he was telling the truth. We don't feel this rises to the level of treason. "WE believe the Constitution is a living breathing document."

This is the very thing that will kill our country. And you not standing up and stopping it when ever you hear it,,, is EXACTLY what they are counting on to make it happen.

If you dont stand for something, then you stand for nothing! How's that for black and white!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-23-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I mean jump right into their yip, yip, yip.
    Most ridiculous, counter-productive post I've read yet.

This is exactly why they call us gun nuts, and exactly why we have to fight for our rights at all.

If you "stand up" like that to a member of congress, you'll un-do two years of patient, productive work for every minute you speak.
    Last edited by Jammer Six; 04-24-2012 at 05:08 AM.