Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Ruger vaquero front sight fell off!

Boolit Master

Red face Ruger vaquero front sight fell off!

My SS ruger vaqueros front sight is gone! I dont know when it left or where it went. I pulled it out to shoot it and theres a 1/8" slot in the barrel. I can not find the site anywhere.
    I dont want to send it off to ruger as it will cost a arm and a leg to fix/ship.
    I am fairly handy , I do my own trigger jobs and things of that nature. But not much in the way of soldering.
    Any advice???? Thanks......................Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Buck, I bet Ruger will fix it for free.

Boolit Master

I just sent my Mk I back to Ruger for a 100,000 rnd tune up and extractor replacment
    I just had to pay for the shipping to them , they paid for everything else
    IMO they replaced most if not all the internal parts
    I used the USPS
    Can't remember , but the shipping & insurance wasn't over $15

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Buck, before you ship it, remember to remove all custom parts! They will be replaced with factory parts. part of the lawyer proofing.
    John

Boolit Master
    Well thanks guys! I think I will send it in to Ruger after all. And I will remove my $prings. Once again , GREAT ADVICE!!!...................Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

expect it back in 4-6 weeks !

Boolit Buddy
    the last time i shipped a handgun it was 65.00 better do a price check.

Banned

Yes, next day air has gotten expensive.
    Ruger will fix the gun free but it is like everything else I need, shipping costs more then the product.
    UPS has ruined it for a lot of us. The hazmat fee should not cost more then a few dollars more for paperwork. I worked for the airlines for 42 years and it is a simple matter. Next day air is outrages too. Soon it will be cheaper to deliver stuff ourselves.
    I remember when Midway charged a little more then Midsouth but shipping was free. Not any more! They are great to deal with but their prices have not been reduced after charging for shipping. Still, you can get one item while Midsouth has the $40 minimum. Still the best places to buy from though.
    We just have to live with it, fuel and equipment costs are out of sight.
    Ruger will bend over backwards for you even if you have a second hand gun. So will most of the shooting companies.
    Next day air was brought about because too many guns were being stolen from regular shipping. I remember hearing about hundreds of Glocks vanishing.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Next day air was brought about because too many guns were being stolen from regular shipping. I remember hearing about hundreds of Glocks vanishing.
    Exactly right. We're paying for emplyee pilferage. Rifles don't require it because they're generally too big to stick in a pocket.

My Ruger Vaquero suffers the same problem. The replacement blade is now loose, again.

Not too long after UPS initiated the Red Label requirement I had gotten my P58, 2 band Enfield from Gibbs. Turned out they didnt ship the correct rifle. It was 3 groove and not 5 groove and wasn't a Parker-Hale. The nice lady at Gibbs said we'll re-ship the right one tomorrow, you send that other one back. So I boxed it back up in the box it arrived in and went down to the UPS terminal.

The female counterbeing asked what it was and I said a muzzle loading rifle. A GUN!? Yes, but a muzzle loader. Sir, all guns have to go 2nd day red lable now and this will be (some outrageous amount I forget now). I said no it doesn't, your new rules are for handguns. She was adamant, and the people in line behind me were grumbling so I told her to check with her supervisor.

She did and came back and said she was right, he said that it was ALL guns. I thought 'Screw this" to myself and took off back home. I got online and checked the new UPS requirement, and I was right. I got on the phone and called UPS. The gal who answered was nice enough but I wanted someone with some juice.

After explaining to the supervisor about my expenditure of fuel and time back and forth, the attitude of the female cretin at the counter at the local terminal, plus my considerable amount of wasted time, that I wanted a phone call made to that facility. I wanted it's manager to know exactly what the new regs were, and that I was on my way back down there, and expected to be able to ship this carton, and have it done courteously and without further issue.

So I went back and was 4th in line. The gal saw me come in, but wouldn't look at me after that. When I got to the counter before handing over the package I asked if she and her supervisor were clear on their new policy having to do with the shipment of firearms? She said yes and did I still want to ship it. Not only did I but I also hadn't sealed the end of the carton. I pulled it out so she could see it was in brand new condition, and just exactly what it was. I then insured it for $600 and had her seal the carton up. Just in case they decided to do 'something' to it, it's condition was established.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

It is totaly legual to ship a handgun in the regular mail to a repair facility. You just need to declare what it is at the post office.

Boolit Mold
    I thought you had to be a FFL holder to ship a handgun USPS. You learn something every day.

Boolit Master

Shipping handguns by USPS need a form ( http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf ) to be on file at the post office and must go between dealers or from dealer to the maker and back to the dealer. They also allow shipment to police or gov. agents. I'm not sure about FedEx rule on shipping handguns, best to ask them.