WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Questions about shot making

Boolit Bub

Questions about shot making

I have searched previous threads for info and still have a couple of questions. I am going to buy a Jim Stewart machine, as I have visited his shop, and seen his product.
    The main question is about coolant. I've read many threads, but people are often experimenting and changing coolants. It is hard to tell what people are using with GOOD RESULTS and sticking with. Jim said "anything with water in it" is gonna make a dimple as the soft pellet is dented by rapidly expanding water vapor. Whatever I use needs to be rinsed with water. I want to know more about detergents, crop oil, antifreeze and E Trim 206.
    My plan is to build on a compact rolling cart with a circulator and radiator underneath. I want this shot to be pretty as I want to sell/trade for other supplies. I have several years experience reloading and casting pistol caliber bullets. I frequent the Lead and Alloys forum, as I'm a scrounger and hoarder.

Thanks to all.

Boolit Master
    I've heard of guys around here using brake fluid, ATF, Mineral Oil and some other oil that slips my mind from Tractor Supply that comes in large quantities.

Good Luck

I would try laundry detergent. I heard of several folks doing this with great results. The best part is it just washes off.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Water soluble cutting oil ( used for bandsaws and the like) Easy to use and none of the nasty side efects like a flash point to be wooried about!

Boolit Master

Well there are as many "this is it" opinions as Mr o has plans. I have tried everything but the cutting oil.It is very costly . I like the Hydraulic oil the best . It works and will last for as long as you make shot .
    But best way is to try YOUR self
    If you have some buddies that do turkey fries Peanut oil works good BUT it dont keep well
    And one other thing , Need to get you large stash of WW . Its the only thing that works in a shotmaker
    Good luck you going to be bald soon

Boolit Master

I tried brake fluid, which works, but is a pain to wash off. I now use Sierra anti-freeze which rinses off easily. I think the dent is caused by the rapid cooling of the shot, not by the water content since i still got it with either coolant. But the tiny dent really doesn't seem to make any difference.

I used plain ol' tap water when I was making my own shot. Worked fine for shot as large as #4.
    No cleaning afterwards, once the shot has dried it's ready for tumbling.
    Cap'n Morgan

I (that is actually 3 of us) use Sierra Anti-freeze. One can probably use any anti freeze but this is safe around pets if they try to lick it. and of course its water soluable. It often does have a very minute dimple but at jimb16 stated, its of no concern. I want nothing at all to do with brake fluild or diesel fuel, both are a pain to properly clean up.
    Last edited by smkummer; 04-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Boolit Master

WOOW that water in denmark is goooooood .
    pattern you dimpple shot ???

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    WOOW that water in denmark is goooooood .
    pattern you dimpple shot ???
    Never bothered pattering - I was too busy shooting. Within 30 yards, those dimpled shot kills just as dead as those hardened, plated and buffered premium shotshells.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Man
    Cheap fabric conditioner is best.

Boolit Master

That dimpled shot does a great job on clay birds too.

Boolit Bub
    I recently bought the Black Max (replaced a homemade dripper with Stewart drippers) and started using Crop Oil instead of the Sierra anti-freeze. The SMALL dimple went away with the crop oil. Only issue I have now is that the crop oil likes warm water for clean up vs cold with the antifreeze.
    As far as using only ww, the instructions for the Black Max state you can use up to 30% soft lead---I feel this is an honest statement from the Stewarts. Things need to be pretty right to get away with this though.
    I have also found that dripping in 60* or warmer weather is optimal---cooler can be done with higher percentage of ww.
    Like you I am running a cooler with about 5 gals of crop oil---it is not any too much cooling, as the Black Max will run at least a # a minute with double drippers. Doesn't take long to use up a pile of ingots.
    Gun control = hitting the target!

Banned
    i saw some thing on uesing hot water only for makeing good round shot i have not tride it i will as soon as i buy some ww lead for im out right now
    i ues to use water with brake fulid mix in and a layer of atf on top of it