WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: tumble lubing ?

Boolit Master

tumble lubing ?

Im new to casting been casting 44s for my vaquero and red hawk just started casting for my 45-70 slug all my barrels and size all boolits tumble lube all. Have used recicpes to max velocities ,ww for pistols, wwand lino for rife No sign of leading. talk to people that have problems with leading and acuracy Am I lucky or just nieve?

No ww make great bullets with a BHN of 12 -16 which is good for most loads of low to moderate velocities, tumble lube is great if you do it before and after sizing and you can take the smoke and smell of the lube. but keep doing what your doing and let the others clean the lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by monge View Post
    Im new to casting been casting 44s for my vaquero and red hawk just started casting for my 45-70 slug all my barrels and size all boolits tumble lube all. Have used recicpes to max velocities ,ww for pistols, wwand lino for rife No sign of leading. talk to people that have problems with leading and acuracy Am I lucky or just nieve?
    Bullet fit is key. You seem to have gone through all the proper steps to shooting clean boolits!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the vote of confidence sometimes I think things are more complicated then they are.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried NOT sizing your bullets?
    Try a light coat of LLA (so you can't even see it after the LLA) on your as-cast bullets and see how they perform.
    It has worked for me since about the end of the '70s, though only in .38 special, .357Mag, 9x19, .38 super, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 Auto, and .44 Mag. Of course, if your as-cast bullets are way over-sized, you might have a problem--though I still have not seen sizing as producing a more accurate bullet.
    If I had to size my bullets, I would try a light spray case lube on the bullet prior to sizing and then LLA or Recluse after. Also, if you can see the LLA, you have way more then you need on the bullet.

Banned
    Just break down and purchase a good sizer/luber and be done with it. Tried unsized bullets with spray lube....worst thing ever for me. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by monge View Post
    Since it's working in your guns with your bullets, just keep doing it and not overthink it.

Tumble lube doesn't seem to work for everyone, all the time. Bullet size, unsized or not, loads, gun dimensions all can make a difference.

I've had some guns that shoot TL bullets all day long, and others that won't. Keep doing what works for you. If you get a new gun, and TL doesn't work, you'll know what I mean. It can make you crazy if/when that happens.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 04-07-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Keep doing what works for you.. well I cannot imagine that unsized bullets can be very accurate by any means. But, thats my opinion. I take my target shooting seriously and I work up the most accurate load possible. I go to the extent of weighing bullets and power loads as well as seeing to it that the cases are the same brand and length to insure the best possible outcome. And I get it.

I have seen commercial bullets without lube grooves that were designed to work with spray lube and it kinda works in my opinion.

If they cast (& age) to the right size, unsized bullets can be very accurate. It's worth trying to see how they work in your gun. Some guys cast, lube and then age for 2 weeks to get the best results. My Rossi rifle shoots the 125 grain Lee (357 mag) great unsized. But I do size the Keiths for the best results. Just depends.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master

tumble lube

I think even if I use a luber I would tumble lube after sizeing and lubeing because the luber leaves the first band closest to the nose of the boolit pretty dry is this correct? Thanks Joe

Why?

Using a lubrisize can leave the first band dry sometimes, sometimes lubes gets spread around a bit. Even if it is dry, it's not a problem and works just fine. That's why so many guys use one, and then don't tumble lube. It's not needed, when all else is right.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Banned

dry don't matter.
    i have a lot of naked lead contacting steel.
    sometimes all the lube that's on my boolits is in the little groove above the gas check.
    that's in a 20+ inch bbl.
    amount isn't the most important thing, it's what it does, what it's made from, and it's viscosity that matters.

Boolit Buddy

Lee 125 TC

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    If they cast (& age) to the right size, unsized bullets can be very accurate. It's worth trying to see how they work in your gun. Some guys cast, lube and then age for 2 weeks to get the best results. My Rossi rifle shoots the 125 grain Lee (357 mag) great unsized. But I do size the Keiths for the best results. Just depends.
    I have a Hartford EMF .357. (Rossi) I have a RCBS 125 mould, a Lyman 125 mould, and a Lee 125. The Lee shoots more accurately than the others, go figure!

Boolit Grand Master

I think that I read the OP is sizing his cast bullets, using alox, and has no trouble with leading. Why you fellers telling him to size and lube his bullets?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I think the OP is also using LLA straight and is probably following the directions. That's probably why he's successful, he's not trying to "improve" or "fix" the LLA.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I think that I read the OP is sizing his cast bullets, using alox, and has no trouble with leading. Why you fellers telling him to size and lube his bullets?
    Not sure what you are referring to. A couple of guys suggested to try not sizing. Is that what you are talking about?
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT