Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Zinc contamination?

Boolit Mold

Zinc contamination?

I'm getting ready to take the plunge into bullet casting, and was pulling out some ingots I melted down a few years ago. I noticed these dark spots on the surface of a number of my ingots, and was wondering if it's a possible sign of zinc contamination. My ingots are melted from a combination of wheel weights that I melted myself (and I might have missed a few zinc ones, especially as I was melting on full heat) and ingots that I bought off eBay that purported to be from wheel weights. Are these spots anything to worry about, or is it just normal oxidation?

Moderator Emeritus

i wouldn't worry about spots,
    but if you can't get the boolits to fill out
    you may have some zinc in there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Get some swimming pool testing kits at Walmart or local hardware store. Small red capped bottle and yellow capped bottles--yellow is labelled OTO. Hydrochloric acid, very light concentration. When you put a drop on an ingot with zinc in it, it will show bubbles and the color (goldish) will disappear. I have cast several alloys that showed a goldish sheen on them and it dissolved the sheen, indicating zinc present. However, as I understand it (and there are far more knowledgeable people than me on this forum), you have to have 1%-2% zinc before it impacts the alloy. The spots are probably from your ingot molds.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

i'd say some oil got on them.
    some bathroom cleaners have muratic acid in them, it will fizz and bubble on zinc but not on lead.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the advice. I think we may still have some muriatic acid around from clearing our pipes out a few years ago. I cast a few more ingots today and definitely noticed some marks on the ingots that came from something in the molds. Dirt, oil, who knows.