RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: New Guy With A Martini Cadet

Boolit Mold

New Guy With A Martini Cadet

I found a very nice unsporterized Martini Cadet last week. It is one of the Klein's gun from the 60's and changed to 32-20. That is stamped on the receiver.

I shot a box of Remington 100gr LRN out of it. Fireforming the cases, It has a mint bore and shoots about 3 inches high at say 30 yrds.

I have some 323dia Jap Nambu bullets that were set up for another project. After chamering the empties the 323 bullet is very snug but I believe a seating die would push the bullet in. I cannot do it by hand.

I have read just about everything I can find on loading for this now. But still have some questions for the more experienced. With these cases fireformed do I now load this round with 310 Cadet dies? Should I contact Lee and get a sizing die to size the bullet to say 321? I really like this rifle and want to get it to it's true potential not to mention my son who is 10 loves it.

Boolit Mold
    Update. I took a fireformed case. Deprimed it. Put new primer in and 4.5gr Unique. Used my 32 S&W Long seating die. Eased the 323dia bullet in. Cartridge would go in but stop about 1/4 inch before flush. I kept lowering bullet but did not help. Empty fireformed case will go back into chamber. What am I doing wrong? Is the bullet dia too big?

in Remebrance
    You didn't say if there was any flare. I use a very slight flare with my Max and quickly found that in my Cadet I need the slightest crimp to remove the flare or cases are very hard to chamber. Just an idea. Goatwhiskers

323 is 8mm diameter. might br too big.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Though your chamber has been reamed to .32-20 (or butchered) you will still not likely be able to seat a boolit fat enough for the Cadet; you'll still need a heal boolit. I recommend Cast Bullet Engineering in AU. Jim is the world authority on Cadet boolits and has at less 7 varieties.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

L Ross
    I also have a Cadet marked 32-20. I have a H&G mould for a .322" round nose 8m/m Nambu bullet that weighs 90 gr. I am lucky in that not only do they chamber perfectly but shoot very accurately with either 4.0 gr of Unique or a case full of Trail Boss. Have you slugged your barrel? Can you get by with a smaller diameter bullet? If so the try sizing the bullet smaller to see if it will chamber.

Duke

Boolit Master

My reamer print shows a neck diameter of .331" tapered to .327". This gives enough room for the .312" bullet and the wall thickness of the brass. If you are going to use a larger bullet you may need to ream the neck out enough so it will chamber. Might be best to start with a chamber cast to see what you have and then measure the diameter of the neck of a loaded round. You can get a neck an throat reamer from Pacific tool. You want a couple thousandth over the diameter of the loaded round so the brass can expand and release the bullet, and room in case your bullets are not sized the same.

+ 1 on what JeffinNZ said. Do a chamber cast. Measure or send it to Jim (Cast Bullet Engineering In Australia). This is the best way to get the most out of your Cadet.

L Ross
    I don't think the 32-20 reamer even touched the throat of a .310 cadet. I believe it mostly changed the rim area. Otherwise my .322" bullet plus 2x brass thickness wouldn't even begin to chamber.

Duke

It's a fallacy to say that these converted Cadets were "reamed" to 32/20, if fact the 310 reamer was run into the chamber and rim cut deeper to accomodate a 32/20 case.

A fireformed case will be a parallel walled , in effect a 310 Magnum and compared to a factory 32/20 bears no resemblance. I have 11 Cadet rifles and 10 are bores of .316 and only one (Greener) has a bore of .321. A local bullet manufacurere here used to sell jacketted 120gn .316 projectiles.

So first is to determine if you have one of the tight bores or a larger size. I load a CBE bullet 317.120 which is a conventional flat based (not heeled) and sized to .317 and they shoot quite well at 100yds.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Bub
    I shot a box of Remington 100gr LRN out of it. Fireforming the cases, It has a mint bore and shoots about 3 inches high at say 30 yrds.

maybe its just me, but i would reload the cases with 32-20 bullets like the ones that were in the brass lets say 100gr rnfp.
    give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

Boolit Buddy
    Doing a chamber cast is a good idea, slugging the barrel IS A MUST! If you don't know what your grove diameter is YOU DO NOT know what size boolit to use. Just the way it is. I don't mean to insult but you MUST know what you're working with. I had a 303 Martini that a .323 boolit would drop through. 303 is supposed to be .313. Once you know what you've got you can load from there. I would use a 32-20 die set.
    DHB

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for your advice. No offense taken by anyone. I have been collecting milsurp's for 40+ years. I've also learned through those years to listen and read it all. So here's where I'm at. Took the fireformed cases and a 312dia 100gr 32-20 bullet just went in. Put the same charge of Unique. Shot nice at can's and accurate to say 30 yrds. One of the things I noticed was the 312dia bullet would not drop down the muzzle. So sure enough I slugged the bore and it is a 316. I have not started casting yet but trust me it's coming soon! Called Moyer's and he is going to send me some dropped non sized 315dia 32-20 bullets. I'll lube them and try it again. If that's the ticket I'm going to order the mold and start casting. Since the 32 S&W Long die is working for seating should I order the 32-20 die set? The way I figure the 312 bullet is shooting accurate and is catching the rifling. The 315dia will even catch more. Am I on target here kinda? Thanks guys.

Boolit Mold
    Well after a few weeks I finally had time to sit at the bench. I got the 315dia bullets from Moyers. Not sized or lubed. I put some lube on them. Bought a set of 32-20 RCBS dies.

With fired formed 32-20 Remington brass. Deprimed with a Lee deprimer. Chamfered cases. 4.6 grs Unique. They worked perfect in the seating die. A nice crimp. Inserted in rifle with no push or effort. Ejected great.

At 25yrds first three rounds. No keyholes. I think I just need to adjust sights.

So I think I have the right stuff for my 32-20. Easy to load. Now to get the mold and start casting. If sight adjustment dosen't work to print POA center guess I need a little larger bullet? You guys help me here please with comments.

Last Friday I got an actual 310 Martini. Pics to follow. The fun continues and I guess that's what's it's all about.