Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Leading

Boolit Buddy

Leading

So I am still getting leading at the muzzle end of my pedersoli. In the grooves mostly but a few specs sticking up of the lands. This is the same gun that has a .4585 muzzle area and .458 breach area. I did take those measurements with calipers so it is possible those measurements are not exact BUT everytime I took a measurement the muzzle area was just a tad bigger than breach area. I did e mail pedersoli and I am interested to hear what they have to say. Do they answer e mails I wonder? I am shooting the saeco 881 boolit. Someone has recovered my boolits and said that the nose bumped up a little and they could see rifling from the ojive back. Could this be the culprit?
    Last edited by ian45662; 04-03-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Leading is quite common shooting greasers!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Buddy
    The bullets should bump up somewhat. The problem here sounds like a barrel that's tighter at the breach than the muzzle. Your bullets are being mashed down immediately and then left to weave down a loose barrel where they're probably being gas eroded.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Make sure that you are not "bumping " up the nose of the bullet yourself when you load the cartridge, either by not compessing the powder and wad enough or by to much neck tension causing the nose to get squished. Also make sure you're not smucking up the nose when you run the bullet thru the sizer.
    If your bullets are fine when loaded into the cartridge, take some T/C bore butter and either swab the nose of the first round fired with it, or put some on a patch and coat your bore so the first round down doesn't have any bare metal to ride on. From there on out your bullet lube should take care of the problem.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

[QUOTE BUT everytime I took a measurement the muzzle area was just a tad bigger than breach area QUOTE]

Sounds like a good possibility that they chambered the barrel on wrong end.
    But they might not admit to that.

Boolit Buddy
    I hate to admit this I really do and I almost decided to not say anything but I got the 2 slugs mixed up..... Please forgive me I am usually better than that. I thumb seat the boolits so that eliminates the nose bumping up from seating. I have a baco money mold I am going to try out this weekend. Is a little lead ok? It really makes me want to get it out even if I see just a little bit. My trapdoor does not lead at all with the 881 boolit. I just figure the pedersoli should be the aame

Boolit Buddy
    My 45/70 leads like crazy and it shoots just fine .I dont clean it at a silhouette match till the end of the day. So if it shoots ,who cares about a little lead . Arnie

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ian45662 View Post
    I did e mail pedersoli and I am interested to hear what they have to say. Do they answer e mails I wonder?
    You are a bigger fish if you talk to a smaller organization.
    Lee Shaver is the warranty work gunsmith for Pedersoli.

Quote Originally Posted by ian45662 View Post
    I hate to admit this I really do and I almost decided to not say anything but I got the 2 slugs mixed up..... Please forgive me I am usually better than that.
    If that means your breech measurement is larger than the muzzle, that is the norm for Pedersoli Sharps rifles.
    The taper is in the groove diameter only ... the bore diameter is constant right through the barrel.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-04-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

From my own expericment it sounds like ypou are not getting enough lube in the barrel..I would try adding a bit more lube if possible,even if it is a thin lube cookie and see what happens..I have use the lead wipe cloth with excellent results...Good luck
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling