Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Hand Priming Tool...

Boolit Master

RCBS Hand Priming Tool...

I recently purchased a large amount of reloading stuff—bullets, boolits, powder, and the actual reloading equipment of many brands…

I got an RCBS Hand Priming Tool with it and I thought—“This has to be better than the Lee hand priming tool that I have been using for most of my reloading career—40+ years"…
    (But, the Lee hand primer has worked very well and I purchased spare parts years ago)

So, I got the RCBS out of the box and got if figured out—maybe…

It is certainly awkward as compared to the Lee…

But, here is my question: The primer rod falls out if it is tipped too far to the side. Is this the way it is to be, or do I have it together incorrectly?...

I think it is together as the exploded diagram shows…

Hmmmmmmmmm…

Thanks…BCB

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lee vs RCBS

I've used the RCBS for years and now use the one with the removable for filling pan. I just checked it and yes the priming pin will fall out. If used in a normal manner this is a no issue. I usually am sitting down and holding the primer tool in a upright position.
    I'm too old to hang upside down while priming. (MEANT AS FRIENDLY JOKE).
    I also have a Lee and if you do a side by side the newer RCBS tool is much longer with better hand fit. The lee is smaller and harder to load primers as the holder is smaller on the Lee also. A few sessions will show that while the Lee will work it's not up to the standards of the RCBS.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I've used the RCBS for years and now use the one with the removable for filling pan. I just checked it and yes the priming pin will fall out. If used in a normal manner this is a no issue. I usually am sitting down and holding the primer tool in a upright position.
    I'm too old to hang upside down while priming. (MEANT AS FRIENDLY JOKE).
    I also have a Lee and if you do a side by side the newer RCBS tool is much longer with better hand fit. The lee is smaller and harder to load primers as the holder is smaller on the Lee also. A few sessions will show that while the Lee will work it's not up to the standards of the RCBS.
    I agree on the "hanging upside down"! Even 30 years ago I couldn't have done that!!!...

I was just messing with it to try to get the way it was put together and how it might work and the dang priming rod kept falling out. I then thought I may not have something in place correctly...

Will prime a few more cases with it to see if I can get the "feel" for it...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

I like my RCBS better than the Lee I had it worked good but the RCBS fits me better. FB

I think that's the key - how the priming tool fits in your hand.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Master
    You could put a SMALL dab of grease or bullet lube on the bottom of the rod to keep it captive, just remember that you have to remove the rod to change the shellholder.....

Dan

Boolit Master

Found another thing annoying about this priming tool...

Seems only RCBS and maybe Lyman shell holders will fit because of the bevel at the base of the holder...

Lee has too small of a bevel and it would set down on the plastic insert far enough to allow it to go in place on the priming tool...

Anyone else have this problem or a fix?...

Tried drilling the bevel larger and deeper, but I haven't a bit that will drill that hardened steel...

So far, I am not a fan of this priming tool...

BCB

I found older RCBS shellholders that don't have the bottom bevel. I thought maybe something was wrong at first as it wasn't going together like it should from small to large primers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I found older RCBS shellholders that don't have the bottom bevel. I thought maybe something was wrong at first as it wasn't going together like it should from small to large primers.

So you are saying that the older RCBS with no bevel bottom won't work at all?...

The Lee that I have been trying to use have a smaller bevel bottom than my RCBS holders that will work...

BCB

My RCBS primer can use all RCBS and Hornady shellholders(don't have any Lyman).I have some Lee holders and one or two fit the others don't.Seems to me the Lees vary.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use several Lee shellholders with my RCBS hand priming tool. I bought two sets of Lee shellholders back in the early 90's and haven't had a problem with them. I also have some newer ones that I bought because the ones in the sets don't fit all the oddball calibers I shoot.

Yes the pushrod will fall out if you tip it too far; but it also lets you know the shellholder and plastic guide are in the right position. If the rod doesn't slide freely, you need to move the shellholder assembly until it does.

I like to use mine over an ammo can, that way I can prime a case and let it fall in the can when I release pressure on the lever. Then just insert another case.

Robert

I have been using the RCBS hand priming tool for 25 years for all of my priming with 100% satisfaction. My thoughts on this thread are:

1. Sure the rod will come out if you turn it upside down, that is how you get it out to change shell holders or go from large to small primers.

2. I have never had the priming rod come out unless I wanted it to.

3. I have RCBS shell holders of all vintage plus a few Pacific and and couple of Lee and they all work just fine in the tool.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I love mine with the universal shell holder and strip feed. Great tool. I use it when out hunting varmints and range testing.

The "little dab will do ya" of grease works ok.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy

I recently picked up an RCBS hand primer, and found half of my RCBS shell holders will not work. I had to buy new holders to use it in all the calibers I load. I was not too happy about it. In my opinion, this tool has a longer learning curve to use it well, but cause of its complexity, but it does do a good job. However, the Lee tool, at least the old one,does a great job, is simpler, rugged, and certainly cheaper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ilwil View Post
    I recently picked up an RCBS hand primer, and found half of my RCBS shell holders will not work. I had to buy new holders to use it in all the calibers I load. I was not too happy about it. In my opinion, this tool has a longer learning curve to use it well, but cause of its complexity, but it does do a good job. However, the Lee tool, at least the old one,does a great job, is simpler, rugged, and certainly cheaper.

Yep, I agree...

Am am glad I got mine when I purchased a large quantity of reloading stuff/powder/bullets/etc. that a person had for sale...

If I would have paid full price for it, I only have a few shell holders that seem to want to work. And I have every (well, maybe not quit) shell holder needed to reload probably 95% of all brass. Got all the Lee's, many RCBS and many Lyman...

But, only a few work in the RCBS priming tool...

Shame on RCBS for making the plastic inserts so it will only take their shell holders and then it seems only a certain few also...

And so it goes...

BCB

Boolit Mold
    My Lee shell holder fits fairly well into my RCBS hand primer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Train Caboose View Post
    My Lee shell holder fits fairly well into my RCBS hand primer.
    I tried a couple and didn't have good success...

But, I will try them again...

RCBS, of course, do work...

But, I wonder if there were different sized primer feeds made at various times of manufacture?...

I sure don't want to purchase all RCBS shellholders...

Thanks...BCB

I like my RCBS, Had a Lee, Handle broke on me. I have abused the RCBS. It just gos,

Boolit Bub

Smile RCBS Hand Priming Tool

I have used the RCBS hand pimer for many years, YES! There is a problem with older RCBS shell holders without the beval. Sent about 20 of them back to RCBS for an even exchange. The same problem also for the APS priming system.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by QUON View Post
    I have used the RCBS hand pimer for many years, YES! There is a problem with older RCBS shell holders without the beval. Sent about 20 of them back to RCBS for an even exchange. The same problem also for the APS priming system.
    I read you PM and I agree that RCBS would probably make it right...

The only problem is that I have shell holders made by Lyman and Lee also...

So, I guess my hand primer really becomes worthless unless I purchase all new RCBS shell holders...

And I am certain that isn't gonna happen...

I am glad I got it with a purchase that included many reloading supplies and I just didn't purchase it as a single component...

Oh well, now I guess other people will know what to expect if they purchase an RCBS hand priming tool...

Better have new RCBS shell holders...

Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for all the replies...

BCB