WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mosin Shootin' Contest!

Mosin Shootin' Contest!

Hi Folks,

Feel free to join in!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4FfcWyN6YM

100 yards... I left the frame stating the distance out of the vid accidentally. Iron sights only, prone, unrested. Your weak arm can be the monopod, as is traditionally taught. Sling support is allowed. Handloads and such are allowed. Modified front sights are fine, whether they're mine or something you made with shrink tube etc. Just no 'scopes or peep sights!

Josh

Boolit Grand Master

That is a very small and impossible target for older eyes using issue sights at 100 yards. It leaves me out as I find a 6" bullet to be about as small as I can use and prefer an 8" bull or square.

Larry Gibson

Hi Larry,

I have 20/40 in my left eye, and 20/60 in my right. I am right-eye dominant but left handed. Because my left eye works better and I'm a lefty anyway, I choose to use my left eye.

I shoot uncorrected, and I do OK!

I intentionally made it difficult though. I want to see what folks can do!

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Grand Master

Josh

I understand the "difficult" part but you're still young (from the pictures). You'll find as age comes the eyes go.....by the time I get enough lens in front of my eye to see the front sight clear a small target like that is very difficult to see at 100 yards. It just leaves us old baby boomers out is all, enjoy the shootin' match anyways.

Larry Gibson

Ah, OK.

Hey, fer when I get to be that age, have you ever tried the diopter that attaches to shooting glasses? If so, how well does it work?

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master

Yep as a 62y/o I have. It helps --- some, I can see like I'm 50 again. I corrected to 20-10 right eye to compete when I was in collage, am 20-20 per the Doc now. "Pre cateracts" , the sights look like they have spider webs in them.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the diopter helps but doesn't do anything for the ability to focus on the front sight and see a target that small. When young I could use a 2" square at 100 yards with issue sights. Now I need at least a 6" square or bull. Justh the way it is and why I'm using more and more "scout" set ups on many rifles. Now if you'll let me use my M91/30 sniper with the PU scope............

Larry Gibson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Yes, the diopter helps but doesn't do anything for the ability to focus on the front sight and see a target that small. When young I could use a 2" square at 100 yards with issue sights. Now I need at least a 6" square or bull. Justh the way it is and why I'm using more and more "scout" set ups on many rifles. Now if you'll let me use my M91/30 sniper with the PU scope............

Larry Gibson
    I'm with you Larry. My distance vision is razor sharp since cataract surgery. But the rear sight on my Mosin is too fuzzy. I have a scout setup on my 1942 Mosin and am getting ready to put my PU mount on my 1939.
    Like you, I was deadly with open sights when I was young. If only I could focus on those rear sights now.

Now on the other hand folks, this feller here

http://www.youtube.com/user/logcabinlooms

will most likely win. He's old, looks like Santa, and has my utter respect.

I've never seen anyone use iron sights like he does... and his Mosin-Nagants are mostly stock!

I would hazard a guess that he could hit a human sized target at 500 yards with those things, and I would not want to be gettin' shot at by him at 1000 with open sights.

He just does things that are not supposed to be possible with a stock 91/30.

I stand in awe.

Regards,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Now on the other hand folks, this feller here

http://www.youtube.com/user/logcabinlooms

will most likely win. He's old, looks like Santa, and has my utter respect.

I've never seen anyone use iron sights like he does... and his Mosin-Nagants are mostly stock!

I would hazard a guess that he could hit a human sized target at 500 yards with those things, and I would not want to be gettin' shot at by him at 1000 with open sights.

He just does things that are not supposed to be possible with a stock 91/30.

I stand in awe.

Regards,

Josh
    I can't just let him take the contest that easy lol
    There's enough space for all God's creatures...Right next to the mashed potatoes!

Eh Scotty, that man can SHOOT!

Just post your vid as a vid response when you submit!

Josh