RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Lee swc boolit style any good?

Boolit Grand Master

Is this Lee swc boolit style any good?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/232...semi-wadcutter
    I run a 1911 slide iron.
    I am seriously about to order this mold because I love my 230gr RN TL to pieces and I hate wasting time on my two cavity RCBS Lyman and H&G SWC molds. I realy want this puppy because I can run off so many boolits in an hour, but is the profile any good compared to the H&G #68 or the Lyman SWC?
    hep me! hep me!
    I could also do this one:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/336...semi-wadcutter
    but I TL all my pistol boolits so it realy doesn't matter.
    Which one is better?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Man
    I have great luck with the Lee 200 SWC non-TL design. I tumble lube and size to .452.

Never tried the TL version so I cannot comment on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Atakawow, duly noted.
    Just judging by the picture, the non-TL design seems a lot closer to the H&G #68 than the other. I am leaning that way for sure. Its just that while a non-TL design works fine with TL, It seems that a TL boolit is just a little better at keeping the leading to a minimum. Heck it could just be my imagination.

Boolit Master
    The standred groove model works great. I use it with a rcbs lam. Already made over 4k of them and they shoot out of my 1911 very accurate.
    Never a feed issue.

Boolit Master
    I've had some of the best results in a long time with a 200g boolit. Mine happens to be a Lee single cavity I bought from a member here. It was actually a .450 muzzle loader mold that I lapped open to .454 so I can use in both 45 acp and 45 Colt.

Boolit Master

I have the Lee non- tumble lube design in a six cavity. This the my favorite mold for the .45 Auto It shoots great. I have a 452488 and a 452460 and like them very much but did have an occasional failure to feed with them. The Lee 200 SWC with regular lube grooves has a longer nose than the other two and longer than the tumble lube Lee variety and I think that this helps with the feeding because it feeds perfectly. It is also a very accurate bullet when I load it with light loads of Unique and Bullseye. I lube with White Label 2500+ and get zero leading. As I said my mould is a six cavity which is the way to go for high volume casting.

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 03-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the info fellers! Looks like the regular lube groove is winning.

Boolit Master
    another vote for the standard lube groove boolit!

I have a pair of these and make a large batch of these when I run low then feed them trough a Star!

Boolit Grand Master

As long as I am asking, has anyone tried that Lee flat nosed 45 boolit?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110...rain-flat-nose
    What do you think about this one?
    Looks like it would be a wicked hunting boolit, but I dont know how it would feed in a 1911.

Boolit Master

I've got an NOE mold thats similar to the Lee 200gr SWC. Except mines the 196gr SWC.
    One thing I've noticed on mine, is I had to seat them to 1.170 to feed reliably thru my Kimber Pro Carry. So far that's the only 1911 of mine I've tried them in.
    Way too many other projects going on.

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    goodsteel - several of us tried the 200 rnfp in various 45s. It worked great in all of the standard barreled guns but would not feed in the ramped barreled guns. We tried them in two different brands of ramped models. Had feed problems in all of them. We didn't try to figure out why because we had other boolits that worked great.

Carl

Boolit Grand Master

That's good enough for me. I'll get the SWC. Is that an exact duplicate of the H&G#68? It looks bad close in the pictures.

Boolit Master

close, but no ceegar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45acp swc.jpg  
    Last edited by Beerd; 03-12-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: photo stolen from AndyC

If you have already tried and succeeded with commercial SWC's then you may not have a problem. I love the nice clean holes that SWC's punch in targets, but can't get them to reliably feed in my picky old 1911. I keep getting 3 point jams.

If I insisted, I could probably do a lot of work and make it feed reliably, but now that I got the 6 cavity TL401-230-TC's, I have no reason do try unless I had nothing better to do. Those big slugs feed perfectly in my gun and punch an almost as clean a hole in the target as the SWC's and feed perfectly.

I'm not putting this mold down, I just want you to be sure that your 1911 reliably feeds bullets other than RN before you go and get other shape molds.

A buddy of mine uses that flat-point 452-200-RF in his 1911 that doesn't like SWC's. The flat-point seems to feed well. It also works very well in .45 Colt, and I use it for this purpose.

Always remember: you can tumble-lube a traditionally grooved bullet, but it's harder to do the other way around. I TL all my boolits.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, appears Lee has dicontinued my favorite; the 452-190-SWC. I've been using this in all 3 of my M1911s, my M1917, Contender and M98 Mauser in .45 ACP and it feeds and shoots as good as any cast bullet ever has. I also use it in both my Uberti SAAs and my Rossi M92 in .45 Colt but it does not feed in the M73 (no SWC does).

I also have the lee copy of the H&G #68 and if tuble lubed they are fine but being BB'd they are a PITA to lube in a lubrasizer unless one uses a foam or card gasket under the bullet. They do shoot very well though. I've also tried the Lee 200 gr RNFP and as mentioned it feeds fine in my standard M1911s but doesn't in the ramped P14.

No experience with the TL soo gr SWC in the .45 ACP but I don't see any reason why it would not work well.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

That first TL SWC looks very similar to a Lyman 452460 (apart from be TL, that is). I have found the 452460 to be very accurate in both my Series 80 and my buddy's P90.

Hello all !
    I have this mold in 2 cavities since 1997 and love it. It shoots very well in my Remington Rand (1943) and my custom Government serie 80 (1" @ 25 meters). So I bought the six holer for productivity.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 200gr SWC is very close in profile to the H&G 130. The regular lube groove version is a H&G 68 copy.

Boolit Master
    The TL version is one of the first TL bullets Lee put on the market. I have a six cavity that I bought in 1989 and it's essentially the only 45 auto bullet I shoot anymore. I've had uniformly good results with it from a wide variety of guns.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.