Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range lead question

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot range scrap lead out of my 45 with very minimal leading. It's a mix of jacketed, and some cast, but mostly jacketed.

Boolit Master
    If it is of any intrest. I decided to cast some 45cal boolits with my indoor range scrap.
    I was looking to see what my LEE pot settings roughly would be, so
    To keep the lead flowing out the spout I needed a temp reading of 650' on my Lyman thermo
    which is a touch under 5 on the setting dial on a hot day. The lead started to melt at about 550' by the scale on the thermo that puts the alloy type somewhere between #2 and WW

range lead will vary form location to location & day to day. At my club range, everything from FMJ to lead round balls, 22lr & hard cast get shot into the berm. It all goes in one smelt & comes out around 10-11BHN. Perfect for most handgun applications. Mixed w/ clip ww, gets me to magnum revolver pressures w/ little leading.

Boolit Bub
    I've been using reclaimed range lead for nearly 10 years. 99% of it is for casting 45 SWC bullets, either H&G 130 or H&G 68's. I normally go through 3000-7000 rds per year with the 45's, 200-500 for the 41 mag and the 38. Unless I water quench them they stay at about 10-12 BN.

When I smelt it down I usually do 500-1000 lb's at a session so my mix isn't exact but it's close enough to make match grade bullets for pistol. If I was casting for long range Black Powder or center fire I might have to be a bit pickier in my alloy. But for my purposes it works just fine.

FWIW

Boolit Master
    I use range scrap casting for 45-70 as is, as well for some pistol boolits.
    For my rifles I add between 10-20 150 grain wadcutters that were cast out of linotype some time ago,I have about 300 pounds of these things.I also put some into ww sometimes when playing with alloys.

Boolit Grand Master

Over a ton and a half of ingots from range lead, and they are all 11-12 BHN. There is 99%jacketed and the rest shotgun buck and slugs.
    I add a little tin if there is a fill out problem for 38 and 45s. I add half WWs for magnums.
    Range lead is one of the last free sources for lead. Don't wait till the EPA, and or, OHSA gets it.

Wink FWIW hell yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    I've been using reclaimed range lead for nearly 10 years. 99% of it is for casting 45 SWC bullets, either H&G 130 or H&G 68's. I normally go through 3000-7000 rds per year with the 45's, 200-500 for the 41 mag and the 38. Unless I water quench them they stay at about 10-12 BN.

When I smelt it down I usually do 500-1000 lb's at a session so my mix isn't exact but it's close enough to make match grade bullets for pistol. If I was casting for long range Black Powder or center fire I might have to be a bit pickier in my alloy. But for my purposes it works just fine.

FWIW
    I have 1000# and a nice hill side! so happy mining no /?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The conventional wisdom of range scrap being almost pure soft lead doesn't match my experience at all.
    I am with you on this one!!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Well, I don't know what this range lead is actually but if I flux properly and cut it with 50% Wheel Wt metal, it ought to be hard enough for 45acp and 9mm. ... air cooled bullets or water quenched bullets.
    I get several 50# boxes a year from a friend and I cast and load straight into .45acp. I add about equal amount of clip on wheel weights and cast into .357 mag and .44 mag and send them to him in exchange for the lead.

He heat treats as described at the lasc site after sizing.

Good luck with your ventures,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Krack; 07-30-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    you`ll swap lead and get back with more details.

I have atleast 5 tons of range lead that I harvest from two indoor shooting ranges that I collected over a 4 year span. The only caution I can say is watch out for the moisture and foremost, watch out for duds and unfired rounds. Sometimes the workers at the range is too lazy to pick them out. What I usually do is fill my 30 quart turkey fryer and cover it with a weighted lid. IF there is/are any duds or live rounds, you'll appreciate the weighted and this is a good and safe practice to keep the tinsel fairy away.

As far as the mixture, I have tested a BHN between 9-12 Aircooled and If I was to mix it wiith some WWs (around a ratio of 10 RL to 1 WW by weight) and water dropped, after two weeks, the BHN for my batch is between 15-18 BHN.

I use straight range lead for my 45ACP and 38+p with no leading problem.
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Boolit Master
    I use straight range lead for 38sp, 357mag, 270 win with no leading problems at all. Size is key on the leading.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

i have been shooting rande lead for 5 years now with no prob's as long as you cold drop. The scrap yard gives .50 a pound for the copper i remove from it to so can you say win win

Inkedbylee,

I get about $2.50 a pound for the copper jackets. You may wish to look elsewhere if you are only getting $0.50 a pound.

Mike

Boolit Master

That range lead is no good for anything. Just collect it in 5 gallon buckets, place behind the berm and PM me the co-ordinates.

I use "pure" range lead for my 38 and 45 ACP and I just BHN tested a sample and it came up to a 10.4 BHN. It might be pushing it a very little bit but it shoots fine in both firearms. The key is to make sure you have a boolit that will carry a lot of lube. Forget about the tumble lubes. I use Red Dots and they work fine. Using a faster burning powder will cause the barrel to lead a little. But if it does a quick pass of the bore brush and jag using kerosene or paint thinner will do the trick and a mop thru with moly lube. I would usually do a quick cleaning after 200 rounds.

If you have a lot of jackets, RECYCLE them. The last recycler took it in for 27 cents per pound. I recycled around 3500 lbs of that stuff and I was able to buy me a Model 627 S&W.
    Last edited by largecaliberman; 03-09-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added more information
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.