Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: What is this thing???

Boolit Mold

What is this thing???

I came across a bunch of old reloading equipment that my dad had and I have no idea what this is or what it is worth???

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

In Remembrance
    Alright I get the first guess on this it seems.

Roll crimper for a 12ga.
    I think that big 12 stamped on it means something to do with a 12ga round.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

It is an Ideal shotgun roll crimping tool from someplace between the turn of the century to probably the 1940's. It rolled the paper edge of the shell inside to hold the card over shot wad in place. Very efficient in its day. They show up periodically on e-bay.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    Ah, you know your history on that crimper. I remember helping my granddad with that press as late as 1965.

Boolit Mold
    Is it worth anything? I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it than keep it for myself.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ZakAttackMan View Post
    Is it worth anything? I would rather sell it to someone who would enjoy it than keep it for myself.
    No idea what it is worth, but I'd love to have it.
    I load w/ hand tools for an NEF single-shot 12, cork and card wads, and I have been wanting to learn the art of roll-crimping.

You experts out there - would these old tools work w/ plastic shells as well as paper ones?

Boolit Buddy
    would these old tools work w/ plastic shells as well as paper ones?
    Not an expert...but I have one of those and get mixed results so I rarely use it. Success depends on the thickness and pliability of the plastic it seems to me. Thin and skimpy hulls do better. Cheap Nobel hulls or skivvied Fiocchi hulls seem to do okay. Everything else...well, I'd stick to a modern roll crimp head and a power drill. Actually, it's been awhile since I tried the old crimper, but I packed it away for a reason.

In Remembrance
    As far as what it's worth...ummm... I'd got to someplace like Gunbroker and see (IF)what they sold for. You never know you might get lucky.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    I bumped into this Youtube this afternoon. This guy uses one of these tools with Fiocchi hulls with good results. Like I said...certain hulls came out okay for me, but never as good as the $11.99 nylon crimp head I got from Precision Reloading. Of the three heads I have, the nylon one works best for me . . However, I can see by this video that with the right technique better crimps might be possible. Perhaps I'll dig my tool out and play some more next weekend .

Boolit Master
    Those old roll crimping tools average $12-$20 on ebay. A times some nut thinks just because it is old and gun related it is worth more and they will start the bid at $99.

A lot of times they are bundled with a bunch of other old time shotgun reloading hand tools as well, so the pricing varies.

These roll crimpers are not uncommon, but cool to have on the bench for conversation.