Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to mess yourself up real quick wth a can of brake cleaner

ca

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    In california cooking over charcoal causes cancer.
    So does spoonin with your bunkie
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Does this mean the state of California knows more then the rest of the country?
    No, they just get cancer easier..

Boolit Mold
    LOL,

Any way, I have never came across chlorinated brake cleaner in the wild anywhere I have gone. This particular warning only covers chlorinated brake cleaners which haven't been available for public/non commercial/non professional sale in years, even decades in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by para-frame View Post
    chlorinated brake cleaners which haven't been available for public/non commercial/non professional sale in years, even decades in some areas.

I stock ONLY chlorinated .

Boolit Mold
    I've worked in the refrigeration business for over 40 years. I've had my share of burning freon which will choke the hell out of you but never any serious ill effects from it. I think there is more to this story that what we have been told.

Arlin

Arlin, I don't know much about burning freon, but the gas the OP wanted to warn us about is Phosgene, which was created when the guy in the article welded on a part that he used brake cleaner on. Tetrachloroethylene is the culprit, it decomposes into phosgene when heated to 600F. Like other have said phosgene was a chemical weapon used in World War 1.

Quote Originally Posted by .357MAN View Post
    Arlin, I don't know much about burning freon, but the gas the OP wanted to warn us about is Phosgene
    Yep , you can make that outta R12 . It'll empty outta bunker full of corpulent TV preppers quicker'n you can spit too .

Quote Originally Posted by Katya Mullethov View Post
    Yep , you can make that outta R12 . It'll empty outta bunker full of corpulent TV preppers quicker'n you can spit too .
    So why is Arlin ok if he inhaled phosgene?

The dose makes the poison .

Boolit Buddy
    Nah... It just means the people in California have weaker bodies and are more susceptible to things that the rest of us eat for breakfast!

-thomas

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBulls View Post
    Nah... It just means the people in California have weaker bodies and are more susceptible to things that the rest of us eat for breakfast!

-thomas
    If you are talking abouyt grits,,,,
    I am not sure how toxic they are but they are certainly untolerable at my house.
    Wait a second,,,,
    I believe someone said they make good filler.

Boolit Mold
    Seems I was wrong (whats new?) more then half of the states restrict or ban chlorinated brake cleaners but it is still available in some states.

Banned
    Whell then again, it never ever said "air freshner" on the can anyway!

Dunk Drano down the tube and hold your personal fumehood directly over the fumigation.
    No good either?

So :

Quote Originally Posted by .357MAN View Post
    Tetrachloroethylene is the culprit, it decomposes into phosgene when heated to 600F.
    302 F.
    Not 600!
    Don't need oxyacetylene torch, any flame would do.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for posting this. That is one of the scariest things I have ever read about. What a nightmare! Its a concern of mine as many who are in my line of work have been killed trying to make a living.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Thanks for posting this. That is one of the scariest things I have ever read about. What a nightmare! Its a concern of mine as many who are in my line of work have been killed trying to make a living.

Like Josie Wales said to the bounty hunter........"Diein' aint much of a livin', boy."

Lots of things in our homes and shops will do us harm if we're careless...seems like every day I learn of a new threat to my health and well being. It's a wonder we've all survived as long as we have.

Maybe the law makers in California have it right..........every thing causes cancer.

I've decided to quit worrying about it, so for Lent this year I gave up moderation.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

I have to admit I thought about this thread recently and took a few extra minutes to let a chlorinated brake cleaner soaked part dry completely before bringing it near heat.

Bren R.

Boolit Buddy
    Phosgene is NOT a nerve agent. It was a chemical warfare agent, but not a nerve agent like Sarin or Tabun. Its mode of action is by decomposing into hydrochloric acid on exposure to water. Thus, people breathing in the gas essentially burned their lungs, which then fills with fluid and death is by pulmonary edema. It is interesting because it smells like musty hay. But by the point you smell it, you are pretty mch at the level that it will kill you.

As an interesting aside, my grandfather fought in WWI for the British. He told me before they had gas masks, they would urinate on a sock and cover their mouth and nose with it and breath through it. The though that ammonia in the urine would render it inert, but it is likely that water would have been just as effective (or ineffective).

The high pH in urine (well, relatively high) was used to counter chlorine gas attacks.

And besides... water has a better use in hydration. Urine is otherwise just expelled.

Bren R.

Good reminder to pay attention and have good ventilation! Thanks for posting!
    By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was levelling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON