RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Best brass for Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Best brass for Cast Boolits

Hello all:
    I'm brand new here to this forum & am about to take the plunge into loading casts for the first time. I eagerly have read much of the post on this forum & decide this is a great place with very knowledgeable folks that may be able to help a cast newbie. I have been handloading since the late 70's so I'm very familiar with handloading regular "bullets" I'm not into casting yet but am awaiting delivery a some cast boolits for my .40 S&W 4046 auto.

My first question I have ( since I have a lot of my own once fired brass) is which brand brass would you all recommend for loading cast boolits in a .40 S&W? I know some brands have different characteristics. I have Federal, WW, R-P & Fiocchi in good quantities on my bench.
    I'm starting out with some 175 grain Semi Wad Cutter from Carolina Cast Bullets These are tumbled lubed 45/45/10

Not sure what powders I will be using yet: I have in my supply: Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, and Power Pistol
    Any additional help would be appreciated as to where to start
    Thanks
    Last edited by JWFilips; 02-26-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Master

for yhe most part i like R/P for rifle and starline for pistol
    and welcome to cast boolits
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I shoot mostly starline in my pistols but don't always get a good seal on the low pressure stuff but I suspect it will last forever.
    In rifles I prefer Winchester but shoot whatever I find laying around.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but shooting cast in rifles I don't sort my cases by brand much less by weight. My thoughts here are there is so much air space in the loaded case to negate case thickness.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

i've been casting and shooting starting in 1959 and still going.I made almost all the mistakes a person can.In my opinion Collect all the brass you can ,then seprate according to head stamps . work up a load for the same name brass, if you find some wrong caliber throw it in a bucket and save it .( trading stock ).starting to cast I would'nt worry to much about the brass,after you settle on a load then think about the brass.( This is refering to the pistol brass.)The rifle brass is different seperate the head stamps and find what works in your rifle.

Boolit Master
    I probably have more WW pistol brass than anything and have many many reloads in .44 mag cast loads without any cracking yet. Starline is a top performer but i don't have much of that. I have found the Fiocchi stuff to be very hard and more prone to splitting than other brands, also the spring-back is considerable so boolit tension is not as consistant or strong in my experence.
    Last edited by 429421Cowboy; 02-27-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    I just chamfered another 50 Starline for 41 magnum. I like Starline, it's less brittle than Winchester and is really nice stuff.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/

I discovered this brass when shooting silhouettes with the Master Class shooters.

Boolit Buddy

Best Brass (Pistol)

If you are a bullseye shooter or plinking when you have the option of picking up your own brass then you can buy new and be sure to pickup your own with a min. of loss........However if you are on a range, club or public, you are limited in the time allowed to pickup brass, or everyone else is just grabbing....Then grab your share and sort by head stamps. Back when I shot alot of jacketed bullets I shot mixed brass for my action pistol sports.Just one point of view. Pick a safe powder charge from a reloading manual and start loading. afish4570

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome!

I prefer WW or Starline for pistol loading but in my 45's I load whatever I pick up. Did the same when I loaded 40 S&W. Try loading a small lot of new or once-fired and see if they outperform mixed for your purposes.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Most anything I can scrounge but usually buy Starline.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

If you are buying brass do not buy the nickle plated stuff. It cracks or splits two to three times faster than regular brass.

Boolit Master
    I load lots of 40S&W and the best brass for me is free brass. Just watch for the Glock buldge.
    Powder depends on your load, if loading Major I would use a slower powder like Unique or Universal. For my 40 Minor loads I like 3.7gr of WST with a 175GR TC. Of course a charge of 4 gr of bullseye will be an easy load as well. I would not load hot in 40 till I got lots of experance with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Hello all:
    I'm brand new here to this forum & am about to take the plunge into loading casts for the first time. I eagerly have read much of the post on this forum & decide this is a great place with very knowledgeable folks that may be able to help a cast newbie. I have been handloading since the late 70's so I'm very familiar with handloading regular "bullets" I'm not into casting yet but am awaiting delivery a some cast boolits for my .40 S&W 4046 auto.

My first question I have ( since I have a lot of my own once fired brass) is which brand brass would you all recommend for loading cast boolits in a .40 S&W? I know some brands have different characteristics. I have Federal, WW, R-P & Fiocchi in good quantities on my bench.
    I'm starting out with some 175 grain Semi Wad Cutter from Carolina Cast Bullets These are tumbled lubed 45/45/10

Not sure what powders I will be using yet: I have in my supply: Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, and Power Pistol
    Any additional help would be appreciated as to where to start
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Another vote for Starline here!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Buddy
    What ever I find on the range.........
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Load whatever you find and do some test loads and see what works best. My plinking rounds are all mixed head Stamp and my hunting rounds are all segregated. When I find range brass I always clean them real good and use a primer pocket unifier. I only pick up what looks like once fired cases. You can usually tell cus the empty box is usually near buy.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.