Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Henry Big Boy

Henry Big Boy

Anyone shooting a Henry "Big Boy". I got a hankering for a .45 Colt Lever gun to go with my Blackhawks, It's either one of these or the Rossi 92. I know USA vs Import etc. what about out of box performance?
    Thanx
    kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    I ended up buying a Rossi, mainly because I couldn't afford the Henry. The Henry seems like a real nice rifle, and I like the brass frame. The only downside I saw was that it is one heavy rifle. My Rossi is an excellent rifle and very accurate. I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a Henry.

G

Boolit Master
    I got a heckuva deal on a Henry 357 awhile back, and it's one slick, accurate lever gun. Like GW said, it's only drawback that I can see is that it ain't no lightweight, but personally I don't mind, it's just a solid, well-built and well-fit gun, and that brass receiver sure is pretty to me! I think a 45 Colt would be a great choice, it or the 44 mag would be lighter than my 357 and would make a great shooter.

lathesmith

Boolit Master
    If you are wanting to reload the same longer nosed boolits as you may be doing for the Ruger there in may lie a problem for you. My Dad has a Big Boy in 44mag and his will only cycle a .315" nose lenth if memory serves me right. My Rossi 45 Colt will take nose lengths up to .400" and my 454 Casull Rossi will run a .380 nose length for sure (WFN or SWC) and even a .400 depending on the profile of the nose (LFN).

I own both the Big Boy and the 92, in 45LC. The Rossi experienced some failure to feed problems, until I bought Steve's Rossi CD, and did a simple feild strip, clean, and re-lube. Everything was fine after that. Not as smooth as the Henry, but if I continue to follow the CD I'm sure it can be made to be. The Henry, is just amazing, almost too purty to take out in the feild, metal and wood, while the Rossi looks good, it gives more of the impression that it belongs outside, and some bruises and scrapes will only add to its personna.

Buy which ever one you want, they are both great, both do what they are intended to do, and enjoy your choice, you will be happy.
    kliff

AR15, 5.56mm home made
    '71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
    336 Marlin 30/30
    Henry Big Boy 45LC
    EMF Uberti '73 45LC
    Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
    Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
    Ruger Black Hawk 45LC
    Uberti Hombre(x2) 45LC
    Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
    Taurus Tracker 357
    Colt Gov't Mod
    ...to name a few...

Boolit Master

I love the Henry rifles, but just haven't been able to afford one. I do on the other hand own two rossi's in the 92, and they both run slick, but I also when I first got them, took them apart and cleaned them up real good. There was a lot of grit and grime from the mfg process left in them. Once that was cleaned up they worked great. The thing I love the most about the Rossi is that it is so light. I can cram 10 45LC rounds into it and pack it coyote hunting all day and not be completely worn out by the end of the hunt. It is fast, points well, and with 10 grs of unique behind a 255gr RNFP boolit, deadly accurate out to 150 yards. The Rossi is my go to gun every time. I have said it before and I will say it again, I have many nice rifles, most of which are custom builds, but if I had to choose one rifle to keep and use every day, it would be my Rossi 92 in 45LC. If I had a dollar for every mile I have carried that gun I could afford several Henry rifles.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Good point Joe, and one I did over look, cause I seldom hunt nor carry all day any more. Most of my shooting is range shooting. The Henry is HEAVY, be forewarned, extended carry times will wear you out, compared to the Rossi.
    So don't forget to figure that in on your choice either. Sorry for the oversight.
    kliff

AR15, 5.56mm home made
    '71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
    336 Marlin 30/30
    Henry Big Boy 45LC
    EMF Uberti '73 45LC
    Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
    Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
    Ruger Black Hawk 45LC
    Uberti Hombre(x2) 45LC
    Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
    Taurus Tracker 357