Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping my 15 yr. old friend

Boolit Grand Master
    Alchemist :

This is an awfully nice kid. He'll be just fine. Yes, you're right he'll be real busy now casting, sizing, loading and shooting.

I think that we ( my small efforts + all of yours ) may have won another one over to the shooting sports. We need more.... ! !

I fear that if we don't get more young men and women into the shooting sports that there will be a day that will come , down the road ( possibly after I'm dead and gone ) where the shooting sports won't carry the political clout and votes necessary to survive.

You know, if you don't love it and it isn't dear to you, you won't be willing to fight for it.

Go and find a kid and take him with you to shoot ! It is good for BOTH of you.

Thanks,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-24-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Great job Ben, good looking bench. Well said on teaching the young ones the shooting sport. I have two grandsons that don't have a father figure and live 2 hours away I do all I can to keep them interested in shooting and hunting. There are many out there that need a mentor like you. You are a fine man in the eyes of all in this sport.

I hope you fare well and keep your powder dry.

TO: All who that have been involved in helping Ben and Dustin

Hats off to you all and all deserve a pat on the back!!!
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Boolit Grand Master
    Dirtdgger

I doubt that I'm even worthy of 2% of all those fine words, but I do appreciate the benefit of the doubt.

It has all been fun helping Dustin. Maybe some day he will be able to pass some of this on...............

I think it goes without saying that when we were 15 yrs. old, and we were young , very interested in shooting , reloading, and bullet casting.......... if a group of shooters had chosen to do the things for us that has been done for Dustin, we would have been totally amazed and very thankful. Well, believe me, he is ! !

Best to you all,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-25-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy

This just puts a big grin on my face!
    Valley Forge

In Remembrance
    This just made my entire weekend.

Boolit Master

mentoring

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Alchemist :

I fear that if we don't get more young men and women into the shooting sports that there will be a day that will come , down the road ( possibly after I'm dead and gone ) where the shooting sports won't carry the political clout and votes necessary to survive.

You know, if you don't love it and it isn't dear to you, you won't be willing to fight for it.

Go and find a kid and take him with you to shoot ! It is good for BOTH of you.Thanks,

Ben
    Good on you, Ben

You've discovered a little known secret, true happiness is in giving to others.

The little fellow in the pic below is now nine (pic taken last year when I gave him the rifle he is holding) Just last week I received a call from his father, telling me that Blake wanted to take me out to dinner to show appreciation for the loan of the dirtbike, helmet, riding pants etc as well as the gift of the youth sized rifle I gave him. Like most other things the boy wants, his father makes him earn them ie: if you want to go riding this afternoon, you must earn so many points today in school (boy is A.D.H.D. and has trouble staying out of trouble, not bad behavior, just very active and his activity level, talking out etc. can get him into trouble in classroom)

This request was no exception, the boy had to earn the right to take me out to dinner with his dad.

It meant alot to me that he was even thought of showing his appreciation, let alone earning the outing to do so.

I mentor other boys as well, I am going to meet two little guys (5 & 6 year olds) at my church in about two hours to practice with them a song we are going to do together for a special in their church. These guys I taught to ride dirtbike this last summer and they are eagerly looking forward to nicer weather so we can ride again.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Grand Master
    You get out of something , whatever you put into it. Sounds like you're getting some
    good " returns " on your investments.

Good for you ! ! Keep up the good work.

Ben

Boolit Master

Well done gentlemen! Neat bench.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

To me, these are more examples of what "being a man" means. A real man is more than swagger, he's a teacher in deed and word to future men and women. I'm also impressed with the bench.
    Valley Forge

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't disagree with anything that has been said so far, I'm in full agreement with all of you.

I wonder how many people on " some other forums " other than Castboolits would have engaged in the generous out pouring to my young friend ? I bet not many !

I think it says a lot about what Castboolits is all about and the quality of people who are members here.

These are some of the very things that we should be about.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Posts like this just make me feel good all over. Not only have you encouraged a young man toward a rewarding hobby, that bench is one of the best examples of "eyeball engineering" I've seen. That IS a compliment!

Great job all around.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you for those nice comments.

As to "eyeball engineering" , When we started yesterday, Dustin's Dad wanted to know if I had some plans for the shooting bench , I said........." YES. "

He said " Where are the plans ? "

I replied " In my head ".

Notice, it has 3 legs ( not 4 ). Ever sit on a 3 cornered milk stool. It won't wobble. A table in a restaurant that has 4 legs will always wobble.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-25-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Can't disagree with anything that has been said so far, I'm in full agreement with all of you.

I wonder how many people on " some other forums " other than Castboolits would have engaged in the generous out pouring to my young friend ? I bet not many !

I think it says a lot about what Castboolits is all about and the quality of people who are members here.

These are some of the very things that we should be about.

The odds are quite good . If there is someone there to mentor a kid with a real wild hair in there for something in particular , these kinds of things generally work out quite well .

I have been a party to more than a couple of genuine hit and miss ( not simply open crank crank) engines changing hands at scrap prices . IMO , not being free , but obtainable through some reasonable amount of effort and discipline is an important point . Each boy involved went on to become major gear heads . Not that they weren't already .

The engines , once having been hammered apart and set straight, could be worth more than 10 tons of scrap iron . But the actual return you get when you ignite their passion, is priceless .

You knew you were sitting on all that stuff for some reason .

Boolit Master
    Nice work. I have a feeling that isn't the last or the best you'll build.
    Paul

Boolit Master
    Great job from a truly great person. Bc
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Buddy
    I remember being 18 and having my uncle take me deer hunting for the first time. I was raised by non hunters. Then a couple of years later being introduced to reloading by an older guy at work. Then I started casting a few years later, coached along by an older shooting buddy. We all need to remember that whrn we shuffle off this mortal coil, we will need our replacements to be trained and ready to stand in the gap that we leave. I have coached a couple of my friends kids, and totally ruined a son and a grandson. If we each one teach one our sport wont die out from a lack of replacements. Believe me, the kids who want to participate and learn are out there, we just have to find them. And we have to get past the baggy jeans, tatoos, piercings, and other unimportant things to see the humans underneath.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. Well spoken.