Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof boots

Roof boots

Have a friend in the roofing business, and he saved me about 25-30 roof boots (nice sooooffft lead) with the promise of more to come. (free )

Most of these have a roll looking crimp where the pipe shaft meets the flashing, but some have what appears to be bright silver solder at the seam. Is this possibly lead/tin solder wipe? And what would be the way to separate this (if possible) before I melt these down?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about."

Just melt down as they are and skim the trash off. You've got pure lead with some tin.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to cut the solder joints out with tin snips and save them to sweeten other alloys and insure that the lead was pure.

You don't have to, but I like dead soft for my rocklocks.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Yep! That's tin alloy at the joint. I scored three when they reroofed my house./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

SWEEEET!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I used to cut the solder joints out with tin snips and save them to sweeten other alloys and insure that the lead was pure.
    Now why didn't I think of that........
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about."

Boolit Master
    How old of a house to have lead used on the roof??

Banned

They still use lead roof jacks here, you can buy them at the home stores for 2" soil stacks for about $25 each (choke!).

Gear

In a couple of parished/towns down here, my buddy says that lead boots are still code, so anytime he does a local job, I'm in luck.

I asked him what they run new, and they're anywhere from $25-$39. depending on type/size.

I have about 50 with a few nail holes in them.At that price id come out smelling like a rose.

Quote Originally Posted by waynem34 View Post
    I have about 50 with a few nail holes in them.At that price id come out smelling like a rose.
    Well I think they're only worth about ten cents each since they got nail holes in'em, but just to be fair I'd give you about 15 cents each...

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycajun View Post
    Well I think they're only worth about ten cents each since they got nail holes in'em, but just to be fair I'd give you about 15 cents each...
    Just add nails no more holesNail holes sold separatly.If anyone needs nail holes just let me know I have some for sell or trade. large and small. old and new

Banned

I melted down a few I got from a demolition project a while back. They made great muzzle loader bullets. They're supposed to be tearing down a housing area here this year, I hope I can procure more of them.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I guess ya know that when ya melt'm the nail holes do NOT leave voids in the melt?

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Krack View Post
    I guess ya know that when ya melt'm the nail holes do NOT leave voids in the melt?

Bob
    You stack the nail holes on tope of each other and make hp.

Boolit Buddy
    About 10 years ago, I owned a house that had the leaded roof stacks like this. Ended up having to replace them because a damn squirrel like to sharpen his teeth on them and they started leaking... I wasn't reloading my own ammo back then (much less actually casting bullets), so I just threw them away and bought new ones. There's no way I would do that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CollinLeon View Post
    About 10 years ago, I owned a house that had the leaded roof stacks like this. Ended up having to replace them because a damn squirrel like to sharpen his teeth on them and they started leaking... I wasn't reloading my own ammo back then (much less actually casting bullets), so I just threw them away and bought new ones. There's no way I would do that these days.
    I've seen lead vent collars on slate rooves eaten completly.I always wondered what they were doing.Chiseling away spiting it out.We have large grey squirrels here in Virginia.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen lead vent collars on slate rooves eaten completly.I always wondered what they were doing.Chiseling away spiting it out.We have large grey squirrels here in Virginia.
    The way that I understand it is that like all rodents, their teeth continue to grow and they must keep grinding them down / sharpening them. It is enough of a problem that the power line companies often put plastic sheet wrapping the power poles so that the squirrels can't climb up to the lines. Use to be that we would get a lot more power outages because the squirrels would climb up on the lines, chew on them, or electrocute themselves on the transformers.

Boolit Master

Those nail holes will make voids in your boolits. I'll dispose of them for you./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycajun View Post
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

My first experience with squirrel damage was to the battery terminals on my boat. Darn fuzzy tailed rats ate the whole posts off a new battery. It must have swallowed the lead, cause there was no shavings near by.
    My only joy was thinking of him passing those shards.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    My first experience with squirrel damage was to the battery terminals on my boat. Darn fuzzy tailed rats ate the whole posts off a new battery. It must have swallowed the lead, cause there was no shavings near by.
    My only joy was thinking of him passing those shards.
    There's a squirrel that's not going to college because of lead poisoning.