Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Trappers wax

Boolit Buddy

Trappers wax

I bought a large lot from an auction. In that I found probably 20# of trappers wax of which I have no use. It does not say anything about it being bees wax or perrifin wax or candle wax. Can I use this for lubing when i mix alloys does anyone know anything about it. I just hate throwing anything away these days

Boolit Master

Heck, if nothing else, you could use it in lube or maybe in tumble lube. If all else fails, flux with it.. Lifetime supply, either way.... enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

years ago it was primarily beeswax , in this day and age who knows , best bet is if it has a label look up the MSDS from the manufacturer , i do have to agree that it should make great flux
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    Its paraffin, if it is the modern, commercially available stuff. Like alloys, who knows what it is if it is prev. melted. I use it. Beeswax would have far too much scent for trapping. If it is still in original packaging go sell it at trapperman.com forums. New wax is prob. 4-5 dollars per pound.

Boolit Master

I think it is DEODORIZED paraffin wax. Let me know if you want to sell it. I know a bunch of trappers around here, I can put the word out. Fir prices are down right now and the season is on the back side. Best time to sell is late fall.
    The other option is hang onto it for next fall.

Boolit Master

If it has a yellow tint it MIGHT be beeswax. If it is somewhat clear with a white tint it would be pariffin. Trappers do not use beeswax, they use paraffin. Adding paraffin to lube will make it hard.

Larry

Boolit Buddy
    Well If it's as old as I am, be 70 next month. when I was trapping and made my own wax out of beeswax and pariffin I would get a clump of pine pitch about the size of a chicken egg and add it to about 1gal. of the wax mixture. If it has anything like that added to it I dont think I would use it as a bullet lube. If some old relic like made it It could have pine pitch added as that was the way everyone in my generation made their wax. It made it adhere to the traps better and served to some extent as a scent killer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Well If it's as old as I am, be 70 next month. when I was trapping and made my own wax out of beeswax and pariffin I would get a clump of pine pitch about the size of a chicken egg and add it to about 1gal. of the wax mixture. If it has anything like that added to it I dont think I would use it as a bullet lube. If some old relic like made it It could have pine pitch added as that was the way everyone in my generation made their wax. It made it adhere to the traps better and served to some extent as a scent killer.

I did this to my trap wax as well. We must be in the same boat as I will be 69 my next birthday.

Larry

Boolit Master

What was trapper's wax used for, exactly?
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    What was trapper's wax used for, exactly?
    Mainly three things

Trap lube--makes the trap close faster, some times to fast as many a sore fingered trapper has found out that forgot to remove the wax from the dog or trigger.

Slow's the rust down

Kind of cover's the smell of the steel trap, thats why bee's wax is not so great it has its own smell.

good luck

Boolit Master
    Trappers wax. Put on traps to prevent rust, provide lubrication to make them work faster and smoother, rusty traps are slow and will be weaker as rust progresses. I always just use the parraffine blocks in the "canning" section of the store. Like "crappie hunter" and "largom" said, add some pine rosin balls that I picked off the pine trees where injured or beetled. The pine rosin makes the parrafine stick to the trap and keeps it from being brittle and flaking off if used as straight parraffine. The commercial "trapper wax" mixes do not have the rosin in them and it needs to be added. Where I marsh trap it is close to Chesapeake Bay and the water is salt. If the traps are not waxed they will be very rusty, weak and unuseable in a short time. With propper cleaning, waxing and storage every year they will last a long time. I have some traps that I muskrat and coon trap with that are over 35 years old and are regularly used in the salt marshes and they are still strong and fast. If any of you guys know what I'm talking about I still have a bunch of "square jawed" Conibear traps that I use and are in right good shape. Best to all, 10 ga

PS to AndyC I checked your pics! Thanks.
    Last edited by 10 ga; 02-15-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add PS
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

Ahhh, I see - awesome, thanks.

10ga - you're welcome
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot application.
    I used an old kettle over a wood fire,filled with water,mixed in logwood dye and threw a big bag of wax in too.
    Get the water boiling real good,wax melts and floats on water,drop traps in and let them boil for a while,then slowly pull traps out they get dyed in the water and a thin coating of wax on the way out,
    When doing this to connibears I removed way from the trigger latch area.
    Im only 44 but damn I miss those days.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the info guys guess I will use it as fluxing agent. Its pretty old I think probably from the 70-80's since the auction was a gun shop who went out in the eairly 90's and I can remember going in there as a kid snd nothing ever changed..

Boolit Master

Verywell described 10 ga. Thank you. Am 60 now and started trapping when I was 12. Back then I didn't know about dying and waxing trapps. Learnded alot since thoes days. Bought fur for 16 years up untill 2 years ago. There was some long 100 coon a day, days then. Good luck with your 'trappers wax' Budmen.