Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&I converted to press-mount push through?

Boolit Master

Oh, we talk cast bullets and dogs about every night via e-mail and still talk projects. Just don't get together that much on here.

Been on here a lot recently as the weather and a bum leg is keeping me inside./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Wish we could get one of the machinst gurus to market these things for the general site population.

It's just general metal working and not rocket science but seems like no one is interested. For me, it's a must have with .22s, .25s and some long .30s. No bending of noses and I went a long time before I discovered that I was bending noses on these when seating GCs. They are also darn fine pieces of equipment to have for downsizing bullets...especially some of the smaller .458s to .452.

The beautiful part is that you already have the sizer./beagle

Boolit Master

Beagle, I've stayed out of this because I didn't want to horn in on another member's business interests. Another member here has told me to check out this thread. Apparently nobody makes these in a regular basis as a standard product, is that correct? I would be glad to pick up on this and add it to my product line. I can usually figure out how to make small volume production runs come out OK financially to both buyer and seller, and I'm lining up some new machines that this would work great with.

But I'm not wanting to step into my neighbor's yard and steal his cherries either.

Banned

That's the one, the Mark/beagle/Ben project! Thanks for jogging my memory, I think I have all the parts and tools on hand.

Gear

Boolit Man
    +1 Harrympope

When Harrympope said a Lee collet die body fit the H& I die, I tried it. I modified a Lee Collet neck sizer die body and used a Lee push through punch. It works! The pros and cons are these.

Pros: Inexpensive, as no machining is required, only a hacksaw, file and sandpaper.
    Easy
    Works well
    Oring or lube will retain the die in the adapter

Cons:RCBS dies do not fit, they are a little fatter.
    Lee punch is too short to push boolit all the way through. I do not cosider this a problem but some may.
    Short die, I put the die jam nut on underside of the press and screw it in from the bottom.

Here are some pictures of the setup from my album.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/album.php?albumid=674

I will need to replace the die body I cut with this: http://leeprecision.com/ns-body-3.073.html
    to make the collet neck sizer opreable again.

coyotebait
    Last edited by coyotebait; 02-08-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info

Boolit Master

Perfesser,

In your testing and prototyping try one that has the cavity so that you put a piece of plastic bag between the sizer and the die body. I have a cast bullet sizer that uses small carbide rings and they are held in my this method. The die is made by WTA manufacturing.

Boolit Master

perfessor,

Go for it. I'm not intending to market them and I'd like to see the guys be able to get these tools to use. Best to share the knowledge if we can. I don't think Mark will market them either but you can ask him.

I got all kinds of little gizmos I'm working on but have moved away from my machinst so I have to get up there when I can.

Get these guys started on it./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Beagle, I've stayed out of this because I didn't want to horn in on another member's business interests. Another member here has told me to check out this thread. Apparently nobody makes these in a regular basis as a standard product, is that correct? I would be glad to pick up on this and add it to my product line. I can usually figure out how to make small volume production runs come out OK financially to both buyer and seller, and I'm lining up some new machines that this would work great with.

But I'm not wanting to step into my neighbor's yard and steal his cherries either.

Boolit Master

Perfessor, I wonder if the die you made me for the Rockchucker would be a good starting point? I suppose that would limit the use to that type of press though.

Doug

Boolit Master

Beagle, thanks for your blessing. I want to think this thing through before I start making chips. Please don't take me wrong when I say that I don't want to just copy what has been done, I always want to improve it in some way. The pictures in this thread show tools of high quality, an improvement might just be in tooling and materials to make small lot production economically feasible.

I have a sort of design review process I make myself go through when I look at product design. I'm going to go back to the basic premise of "what's the best way to use a Lyman/RCBS die in a regular loading press for push thru sizing" and go from there, respectfully using what has already been done as one possible high quality solution.

Doug, thanks for referring me to this thread. I think something that would fit a standard press would have a larger demand and could still be used in a Rockchucker. But maybe the larger size thread of the RC might permit a conversion die that would turn it into a Star clone, sizing AND lubing. What do you think?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    But maybe the larger size thread of the RC might permit a conversion die that would turn it into a Star clone, sizing AND lubing. What do you think?
    That sounds very interesting.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Mark:
    You made one for me as well. Apparently I'm a member of a very small club!
    Tony

Boolit Master

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I want to thank all you guys for the information and ideas you have posted here.

The RCBS aluminum deprimming die info really caught my attention. I have a RCBS .38 aluminum depriming die, checked the ID and it was 0.730”, checked the OD of the boolit lubrisizer dies, was 0.725”. Looking good, I pressed in one of the sizing dies with o-ring, went in to just beyond bottom of RCBS die and with the o-ring a very good snug fit. Just to give it a try, I put the works into the Lee Classic cast press with a .457” LSD and a .452” Lee push through punch in the ram. Hand lubed some .461” hard cast boolits and it sized 15 of them nose first like a champ. I will tap a shell holder 5/16” as recommended, chuck some 5/16” bolts up in the mini-lathe, turn down the heads and make up some correct diameter punches.

So thanks to you guys, I will be able to do nose first push through sizing of those long and skinny boolits using standard LSD with practically no work involved for doing so.

Now to rig up a boolit catcher after they are pushed through.
    Last edited by Hang Fire; 02-13-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm certainly interested in either design!!

Doug

For a nose catcher make the gizmo tall enough and turn the top to accept a Lee plastic bullet catcher that comes with their push through sizing die.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Good idea, Char-Gar. I'd like to see a shellholder adapter that would hold the "I" punch with a three-jaw, 1/2" drill chuck so it would be "universal".

Perfessor, as far as making a lube attachment goes, you might have to make the die holder body for the "big" press hole (I forget the size, the one that the .50 BMG die sets use) in order to have room for lube passages to the die.

Gear

1 ½"-12 thread on RCBS and Hornady .50 BMG dies.
    1 1/4"-12 size is big enough for lube channels. Problem is, how to control lube flow during sizing operation. Not so easy if using H&I dies.

Kaj

Super Moderator

..............I've made these before but have no patent or claim to them, and certainly suggest anyone caring to make them to do so.

LEFT: I prefer to use a 1-1/4 - 12 body. RIGHT: This particular one is made to utilize the Star size die. You can see an internal "O" to retain the die.

LEFT: This is the bottom. The end the boolit see's. RIGHT: The top, the end the boolit exits. I use this size body by default as it allows any common size die to be held with plenty of clearance and a thick enough surrounding wall.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Very nice work!