MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 366 Help

Boolit Master at heavens range

366 Help

A friend of mine has one of the old stle Marlins 336 in 35 Rem. $500.00- pricie, it has the 6 groove or what ever it is. How does this old style shoot cast bullets compared to the micro groove, I have my 3 rd. chemo Monday, If my cat scan looks good and with yours prayers working and the good Lord why I just may buy it and new pocket knive. Thanks for thinking of me, Joe

Boolit Master

good to hear chemo is working for you.
    I've been told the older 336's are great for cast boolits, but I have no experience with this 1st hand. I'm just now getting geared up to shoot cast in my .35 336 myself.
    Good luck

Boolit Master

This thread may help you some aswell.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=142770

Boolit Master

I have a 1952 marlin in 35,and also a 1984 in .35. Between the 2 of them,i actually think the 1984 with micro-groove,shoots better,although just a slight amount.

I shoot the rcbs 200 booolit,exclusively,and both guns will shoot it pretty tight,inch groups@ 50 yards,is never a surprise.

Hope you beat the C,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Buddy
    If you fit the boolit to the throat and barrel on that Marlin it will shoot better than you or any of us can hold it.

Good luck with the chemo!

T-o-m

when it comes to cast bullets to me there is no doubt, you can't beat the old ballard rifling. it will shoot cast like magic.

Boolit Buddy
    I think either rifling will shoot better than open sights off hand will with cast bullets Make sure you fit the bullet to the gun. Slugging the barrel will be far more important than the rifling. Personally my 336rc in 30-30 with cast bullets will shoot 5 in a quarter at 50yds but out to 100 and it opens to about 2 or 3 depending on the day. this is the new micro groove design and it shoots hornady ftx about the same my bet is its me not the gun since my buddy consitantly shoots 2 or better with the same gun

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    A friend of mine has one of the old stle Marlins 336 in 35 Rem. $500.00- pricie, it has the 6 groove or what ever it is. How does this old style shoot cast bullets compared to the micro groove, I have my 3 rd. chemo Monday, If my cat scan looks good and with yours prayers working and the good Lord why I just may buy it and new pocket knive. Thanks for thinking of me, Joe
    Joe, I know prices will vary in different areas. I was happy to by my 1952 336A, 24" for $600 in CA. But that was from a generous friend who threw in Lyman dies, over 100 brass, and a sngle cavity Lyman mould. It also came with a Redfield #70 receiver sight. I believe those old Marlins have seven groove rifling. I had my slug measured by a man, now retired, who had the special odd-groove mike. It is .360" so I size to .360" which chambers OK. It favors the RCBS 200 gr. flatpoint with 23.0 gr. IMR 4198 (1680 fps.) Five-shot groups at 50 yd. are 1.5", and 3" at 100 yd. Micro Groove shoots just fine as long as the boolits are fat enough to fill them up. My stepson has a .30/30 MG that is very accurate.

Praying for a speedy recovery for you, Bill and Fran
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 02-13-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

I have one of those old Marlins and mine looks like it has been used as a fencepost, youngin' beater and kindling splitter at various times. But, that old Marlin will throw lead bullets.

When I got it and ran a patch through the bore, I said, "I've been had....again". It was rough. After I removed all of the copper fouling, the bore was clean and sweet. It had been road hard and put up wet before.

Now, it's one of the last levers that will leave my safe.

The price seems abit high but it will make adarn fine lead slinger./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....