RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: 44 mag super red hawk - slug size

Boolit Mold

44 mag super red hawk - slug size

I am sure this has been covered but could not find anything on it. I measured the cylinders on my 44 mag super red hawk (7.5"). They all came in at 0.4325. I have not slugged the barrel and trying to determine what size to make the bullets. Any suggestions / experience here? I know I should slug the barrel but have not made time.

Has anyone used a spent bullet recovered from a water bullet trap for this purpose?

Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

Without slugging the barrel you or anyone else are just guessing.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    You really need to slug the bore, and size your bullets accordingly. It's not difficult to do; there are videos on YouTube showing how.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will disagree with the others. The throats are all .4325 so size to .432 and get on Witt life.
    Do not size to fit the barrel, size to fit the throats. I highly doubt the barrel is larger than.432. If the barrel is .429 or .430 and you solve a .432 bullet down it the barrel will size the bullet down just fine.

My SRH in 44 mag has the same size throats. Before I measured them I shot .429 bullets. Got leading in the forcing come and breech end of the barrel. Sized the throats, went to a .432 bullet and no more leading. Accuracy is better too.

Gordy some .432 bullets and see what happens. Bet the gun will like them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I will disagree with the others. The throats are all .4325 so size to .432 and get on Witt life.
    Do not size to fit the barrel, size to fit the throats. I highly doubt the barrel is larger than.432. If the barrel is .429 or .430 and you solve a .432 bullet down it the barrel will size the bullet down just fine.

My SRH in 44 mag has the same size throats. Before I measured them I shot .429 bullets. Got leading in the forcing come and breech end of the barrel. Sized the throats, went to a .432 bullet and no more leading. Accuracy is better too.

What he said. My .44 SRH has .431 throats and thats what I size my boolits to I get zero leading and great accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the comments. I am going to give the 0.432's a try.

Boolit Master

Exactly, spot on

Boolit Grand Master

If someone didn't say that I was going to
    your boolit goes through the throats first then the barrel
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Do not size to fit the barrel, size to fit the throats.

Amen ! ! DITTO btroj's comments.

Boolit Master

You should slug the barrel, but I'd bet you'd find a .430 groove dia. I have a RH and my shooting bud has a SRH. both 44s. I cast and size to .432 and that works great in both guns. My throats are .432ish and his are .431ish. Accurate and lead-free.