MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: opinions on simmons rimfire scope?

Boolit Master

opinions on simmons rimfire scope?

Anybody using the Simmons 3X9 A.O. rimfire scope? Thinking about getting one for one of my squirrel getters but looking for some feedback by someone who uses one.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

I'm stuck with just one Simmons scope, (a LER for handgun use) It has a monumental problem - it is only parallax-free at about 15 yards. No provision for adjustment. Would not have another. Won't even unload this one - couldn't do so in good conscience.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Simmons is a four letter word in my house. I have had/tried over 9 different models from 10X IER pistol scopes to 3X9 rimfire scopes. All of the AO scopes that I have had from them had problems with the yardages corresponding to the marks on the objectives. I sent a 2 1/2X7 back to the factory for repair and they had unscrewed the eyepiece objective so that the marks would correspond at 7X but not at 2 1/2 and when I turned the objective on the lower powers the focus would go out. The last 3X9 rimfire scope I used broke when shooting a 22 silhouette match. I adjusted it for the 100yd rams and it shot low by 4", went up 3 clicks and it dropped the POI by 2 feet. After the match I benched it and found that the reticle was loose and what had started as 3/4" groups at 50 yds. was now shooting 9" with the same ammo. Pulled the scope off and shot with irons and they all plunked into 1 1/2".

Last year I sent four of them back and would only use them for shooting paper at a fixed range with a fixed magnification on something that did not matter if the scope went out (again).
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

In Remembrance

I have had a few Simmons scopes but I am 50/50 with them and will not buy another.
    I had a 3-10x50 that worked great, a friend bought the same one that was junk out of the box.
    I have a 3-9x40 on a .22 rifle that works fine had another that wouldn't hold a zero.
    I had a 2.5x20 handgun that worked fine and a 4x shotgun scope that wouldn't hold a zero.
    The last two 4x32's I bought for the kids .22 rifles were tossed in the trash because they were junk.
    I think in 30 years of shooting that was a fair chance given to them and I given up on them.

Boolit Master
    O.K., thanks for the feedback, so..who makes a 3X9 a.o. scope that adjusts parallax down to about 20 yards?
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

there is one sold on feebay called Nc star thought I would try it. was cheap for a 2 x7 and it is as clear as my nicon. So far it works good

Boolit Master

Talking

I have that scope and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    O.K., thanks for the feedback, so..who makes a 3X9 a.o. scope that adjusts parallax down to about 20 yards?

For shots that close, IMHO a 3x9 anything is overkill.

I've been using a 2x scope & a 1x red dot sight on two of my small critter-gitters for the last 20 years w/o any issues, and precious few misses.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Leupold compact 3-9x33 AO, EFR. Have 3 on my hunting rimfire rifles. Pricey but one of the best compact 3-9 AO on the market. Wish I could afford to put them on all 20 or so rimfire rifles in the stable.

As a side note, even Leupold AO scopes do not have accurate parallax hash marks most of the time, close but not perfect. Seams to vary with the magnification chosen.

50 ft ranges at the Boy Scout Camps or indoor ranges. A standard rimfire scope usually has a 50yd parallax setting. At 50 feet the reticule will move as much as 1" if not looking through the center of the lens.
    Last edited by buckndee; 02-11-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Boolit Master

I had one. It was worthless ***p.
    I took it back and Cabella's gave me a replacement one notch up the scale.
    It was also worthless c***
    I took it back and told them didn't want another one.
    Both had severe parallax and would not adjust the reticule.

They said OK we will give you your money back.
    I said no. Just make out a credit voucher and hold it. I will be back in ten.
    In ten minutes I was back with a Nikon 4-16 variable.

It cost twice as much but IT WORKS!.

Three cheers for Cabella's. I love that place.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I don't think you'll find too many people that like Simmons. I have owned two. Both were 4x scopes - not the rimfire model that you were asking about.

The first Simmons lasted 16 shots on top of a NEF Handi in 30-30. The reticle came loose and was slowly moving. The second one was given to me. I mounted it on a Henry 22 pump, but it looked out of place and I gave it away.

If you want less expensive scopes, I'd look at Bushnell before Simmons.

My two cents.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

try the NC star. can't beat the price some are a little bulky. but they have a life time garonttttt
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

Talking

This is the only Simmons scope that I would buy. I bought it over the Leupold only because of the price. It does work great and is clear. I mounted it on a Marlin 39A and it does not over power it looking like a night vision scope.

If you are going to shoot a 22lr and want to get accuracy out of it you really need to have a scope with PA.

Boolit Master
    I have a simmons "22 mag" 4x scope on my son's 22. I paid $20 for it, and it's worth that, but not a penny more.

Does hold zero, so- so clarity in good light, not so good in low light.

not as good as the 20 year old Bushnell "sportsview" (cheepy) I have on the other 22.

it was fine for it's purpose, a kids first scope on his first 22, but it's not for serious work.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Buddy
    Redfield (which is a Leupold) 2-7X 33mm objective or the Leupold in same configuration. Redfield about $150 everyday, Leupold, which I have and love , can be had for $159 now and then when on sale at Cabela's otherwise about $209. Leupold is clear and bright. I use it on my .32 H&R Mag Marlin.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Boolit Master
    The Leupold 3X9 EFR (Extended Focus Range) scope is a great scope.

If your on a close target, adjust the A.O. and when it is in focus, paralax is a non issue!

I have one of these mounted on my Clark Custom 77/22 and the combination is a tack driver.

If you want quality, it is worth the price.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

Leapers 5th Generation

I haver a 3x9 40mm It is airgun rated. I also use it on a 30-06 cast of course. Adj to 5 yrds Red and green crosshair or black ( not battery dependent) Mil dots. Check reviews it is heavy full size model Great features ( locking target turrets AO. illuninated cross hair ) Optics planet $64 free shipping. Check reviews