Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get my mosin clean

Boolit Buddy

Can't get my mosin clean

I have a m28/30 and the first thing I did was clean the bore, and clean the bore and this has been goning on for a while. The bore is strong and shines, but the patches still come out dark. Is it that common for the groves to hold dirt like that and be that difficult to remove or do I just have a very dirty bore? This is my first military rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Not uncommon for an old mil-surp rifle. There are several methods to get these clean.

Put some paint thinner in a large coffee can and insert the muzzle below the surface of the thinner. With a tight fitting patch run the rod up and down. This will suck the thinner into the bore.

Use the purple soap available from Walmart or auto parts stores and do the same thing. This is a strong alkali so don't get it on aluminum or anodized parts.

Use a foaming bore cleaner.

Let it soak overnight with Hoppe's #9. May take several times to get it clean.

I'm sure others will chime in here. Also there should be alot of posts on this subject so do a search.

Boolit Buddy
    Best to fire it between cleaning.It helps to break it loose.Dried Cosmolene can be tough to clean.I have had barrels to shot great but never really ever got clean.Shoot and clean then shoot again.Good excuse to go shoot,Mike

PS I noticed you said this is your first Milsurp.I promise it want be your last.I have a terrible disease called Mosinitus.No real cure only Temporary relief that comes From new purchases.
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Boolit Bub
    Try an over sized brush (8mm) and when that wears down wrap some brass wool around it. Keep scrubbing as there is a lot of carbon in there, but it will come clean. Also wipe your rod with a paper towel when you are done scrubbing it with the brush. Helps to use some acetone or mineral spirits on the brush tip.

Boolit Master
    I think the new milsurp owner (actually all shooters) should also know that using an oversize brush is ok as long as you don't try pulling it back and forth in the bore. Most new brushes are tight enough that they should be pushed or pulled one way till they are loose (at the muzzle or chamber). Reversing an oversized brush while tight in the bore will almost always cause it to stick; further movement often breaks the rod, especially when using aluminum or brass sections. Nothing like the hassle that comes from sticking a brush in the bore. This alone turns off some new milsurp owners to new purchases. I can't blame em. Really frustrating to get those stuck brushes out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I think the new milsurp owner (actually all shooters) should also know that using an oversize brush is ok as long as you don't try pulling it back and forth in the bore. Most new brushes are tight enough that they should be pushed or pulled one way till they are loose (at the muzzle or chamber). Reversing an oversized brush while tight in the bore will almost always cause it to stick; further movement often breaks the rod, especially when using aluminum or brass sections. Nothing like the hassle that comes from sticking a brush in the bore. This alone turns off some new milsurp owners to new purchases. I can't blame em. Really frustrating to get those stuck brushes out.
    Thanks. That is one bit of advice, I have to admit, I never would have thought of. I just never considered trying to reverse any brush while still in the bore. And it obviously applies to all firearms and metal brushes, not just milsurp. I haven't tried it, but I suspect I could get away with reversing a nylon bristle brush. I use more of those than bronze since ammonia based cleaners (e.g. Sweet's) will not "eat" them. But "new to me" firearms with really gruddy bores see the use of bronze brushes when I first get them (or get a Round Tuit and finally get to cleaning them).

Ed

Boolit Master
    Try some Ed's Red.Has cleaned several guns that were very dirty.Will not clean copper fouling but does an outstanding job on carbon/powder build-up.According to Ed Harris ( the thinker-upper) it should clean plastic build-up from shotguns and has had reports of reduced carbon and metal build-up with prolonged use of Ed's Red.Do a Yahoo or Google search for Ed's Red
    Last edited by ubetcha; 02-04-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    i have had some luck with cleaning right after firing while the bore is still warm.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    i have had some luck with cleaning right after firing while the bore is still warm.

What Bob just said! Give this a try.Robert

Boolit Master
    First thing I always have done. Strip weapon for full inspection and if a new to you- get to know session. Stand rec/barrel assy vertical (strapped or tied will free up hands) muzzle down with (restriction- not plug) of some kind in muzzle. Find funnel that will fit into chamber area, slowly pour full rolling boil tea kettle full through. Let level come up past locking lug area, usually full of wonderful stuff. Will be to hot to bare hand, glove up and move to table, by the time you get there water will have evaporated. Place on something stable and push Kroil or Hoppes wet ones, while still hot wipe all exterior surfaces and locking lug areas. Put rifle back together and push bore every day with solvent till you get it to range or it quits making color. I also like to push bore with a nice wet one after string at range and let cool. " This is my first military rifle" - I bet you have not thought about what the next one is going to be, HE-HE. Be Safe. Gtek

I have used Kroil and an M16 chamber brush on 30 caliberish bores with great results. I always start from the chamber and never pull it back through the muzzle. Rinse with RBC or Kroil , flush the bore with same and do over.
    My best results have been using a small funnel with a rubber hose salvaged from an old coffee pot to insert in chamber end and pour a pint or more of boiling hot water down the bore first off after degreased. Then I go the scrubbing way. Amazing what that boiling water will dislodge when the pores of the metal open up a tad.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

I used a homemade electronic bore cleaner on an old Carcano, you should have seen the junk come out of the bbl, it helped alot.

Boolit Master
    Kroil/Jb bore paste maybe a little JB bore brite

Boolit Master
    Mineral Spirits paint thinner from the lumber yard, nice oily stuff that's like kerosene, and a brush. I used Hoppe's until I discovered that the mineral spirits cleans even better on cast bullet shooters with the various lubes. It's better than it sounds!

And I can use as much as it takes!

Boolit Master
    when i got my last mosin it was wrapped in paper and still packed solid with cosmoline.

i found an old shallow tray just big enough to lat the barrel/action and bolt in. then i filled the tray with gasoline.
    i let it sit(outside) overnight.
    next morning the cosmoline was so loose and sloppy it came right off.

Boolit Man
    I have a gal. jug of Kroil so what I do, is I plug the end of the bbl and just fill up the barrel with kroil, let it sit for however long as I please then dump the thing and run a brush thru a few times and fill it up overnight and brush then patch, its ungodly clean after this, at least with my experience.

Boolit Master
    Also MEK(if your state allows it) will strip it right off.

Boolit Master
    They are all wrong, it will never come clean !!

Because i am a nice man i will take it off your hands,just send it to me tomorrow,

and i will dispose of it in the proper manner for you !

Think nothing of it, it's the least i can do for you, i will split the shipping with you..... if you kick in a few norma brass.

Feel free to contact me for my shipping address.

Banned
    Been sticking with good old Hoppe's #9. Been getting a patch sopping wet with it and mopping the bore and then leaving over nite. The next day I scrub it with a bronze brush then run a dry patch through it. Still getting all kinds of black on the patch but the bore is getting real shiny. I love Hoppe's cologne!

Boolit Buddy
    I use hot tap water ( or boiling if bore is really bad) thru barrel,dry it with patches and Hoppe's 9 while bore is still warm to touch.

Repeat as many times as necessary.Usually 3-4 does the trick .