Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 336 in .35 Rem

Boolit Master

.35 Marlin

Mt -

Howdy !

Mine is a 2y.o. XLR . An absolutely fabulous rifle, I must say !

IMHO - for both/either "J"-word or cast; might I suggest IMR3031 ?
    Lyman's .35Rem reloading info for both, seems spot-on.

I have yet to try some .357" cal poly-tipped swaged 175gr BTs; that I garnered by taking them out of a saboted .45cal muzzle loader scab pack. The same vendor offers poly-tipped .357" cal BTs of 195 & 200gr.

These might be utilized for my first go @ paper patching. We'll see.....

I have had great success using Lees " Collet NS Die " for .35Rem.
    I simply keep sanding-down the die's mandrel OD, until the desired level of neck tension is reached. Additional mandrels only cost around $7.50.
    Lee will factory redux mandrel diameter ( only ) .001", for a $5.00 or so fee.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Grand Master

The gun is presafety, and it looks really good in the pix. Here is one. I got it for $325, which
    I think is pretty right, but I must wait and see what it looks like up close and personal before
    I decide if it was a deal or not. The wood even looks really nice.

SN is in the 271 million range. Any ideas when it was made?

I will probably run up to Cabela's and see if they have the Rem brass, as reported by
    MK42gunner.

I will also get some of the 200 Core-lokt bullets to start out with. I have had good results
    on deer with the Core-Lokt in my 7x57, so it will be a good one to try until I get set up to do cast.

Of course, the first cast is likely to be a 358477 or 358429 or something from a pistol.
    Actually, the Lee 358-158 RF is a likely candidate, too.

Thanks for the info - esp the caution on not pushing the shoulder back. Makes sense.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I'll go along with the 3031 suggestions made. 2015, which is virtually the same burn rate, worked very well for me under a boolit from one of BaBore's 360220 molds. Bartlett's Russian 4895 that burns like 4064 is too slow, a caseful didn't get up enough pressure to burn completely. Of course what didn't burn fell into the chamber upon ejecting the round and made subsequent rounds hard to chamber. The letter prefix of the SN will tell what year it was made, or subtracting the first two digits of the serial# from 100, which in your case=73=1973: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336 Mine is a 1955 with 7 groove cut rifling.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    One more vote for the RCBS 35-200FN. My 336 likes them sized to .359. Since deer season here along the Maryland / Pennsylvania border sees temperatures from the low 20s up to the mid 70s; I chose Hodgdon Varget for its temperature stability. My 336 groups the RCBS boolit & Varget loads around 1" at 50 yards with post front sight and Williams Foolproof rear. Now my Marlin and Winchester 30-30s sit home while I hunt with the .35 Rem. -Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I found a site the indicates that with 27 as the first two digits, it was made in 1973.

Is that good or bad? Seems like good to me, but I don't know that much about the history
    of Marlin production and ups and downs that may have occurred over time.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I found a site the indicates that with 27 as the first two digits, it was made in 1973.

Is that good or bad? Seems like good to me, but I don't know that much about the history

Bill
    73 rifles are just fine. Congrats on the new toy.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, it'll still be a while before I get my hands on it, shipping, etc.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    A few suggestions:

I would move the scope forward, with healthy loads a Marlin in .35 Remington will recoil smartly.

Lower rings will help with getting a good cheek weld on the stock.

With lower rings you will need a hammer extension to safely manipulate the hammer.

I had to trim the new Remington brass tha I got, it was very uneven as it came from the bag.

Robert

Boolit Master

Bill
    Mine is a 1977 or 1978 model pre-safety, they are special rifles! Eventually I will pull the scope off mine and install XS peep sights....

Boolit Grand Master

I did think that scope looked pretty far aft. I may put a peep on it after doing some
    load development.

I have a really nice Skinner prototype given to me by a site member that is looking for a home.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I found that 3031 and the .35 Rem seem to be made for each other. I like the Speer 180 bullets and the 200 grain RNs made by Sierra, Remington and Hornady. if I had to pick one it would be the Remington.
    I have a 1952 J prefix Marlin just like the one earlier in the thread, a 1946 Remington 141 and a 1952 Remington 760. I really like this round for my style of shooting.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Nope visitors are allowed to read but not post if I remember correctly. And the poster's "handle" is appropriate because he IS the most knowledgeable person I know of on the 35 Remington!

T-o-m

Quote Originally Posted by JFE View Post
    Appropriately, the poster's tag is '35remington' and here are the links. I think you might need to be a forum member there to view them.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/33...rformance.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/bu...handloads.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/33...ders-35-a.html

Boolit Buddy
    MG your Marlin for sure is a 1973. Has NO CB safety and has microgroove rifling. Start with either the Remington 200 grain coreloks or the RanchDog boolit. Also the receiver is predrilled for scope mounts. BTW, the RD boolit was designed specifically for use in the Marlins an their special chambering needs.

In the pic the butt stock looks like it has been replaced and not finished but that is an easy fix. Very nice rifle.

T-o-m

Bill

I went to the gunshop yesterday to order some supplies and dies for the new 45/70 and out in the rack on the floor sat a 35 336. no name 4 power scope. 4 good scratches on the receiver like a screwdriver slip making tracks and some very, very light rust on the barrel and tube, good bore for 269.00. It was crying for a new home but so soon after the 45/70 what would the minister of finances say. I hope it is gone before next monday because it needs some tlc.

In Remembrance
    269, I think even with the summers wages getting dangerously low, mama would have probably gotten mad. lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JFE View Post
    Appropriately, the poster's tag is '35remington' and here are the links. I think you might need to be a forum member there to view them.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/33...rformance.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/bu...handloads.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/33...ders-35-a.html
    All three worked just fine, no registration needed. Thanks.

Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Agreed, starmac. Sooner or later SWMBO will get PO'd about something, might as well be something worthwhile.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

MK42 -

Thanks for the tip - I bought two bags of Rem brass at Cabela's last night. I'll
    probably start shooting some bullet or boolit that I have in stock, meaning something
    intended for a pistol, at first.

Rifle ships today.

Bill

Mine was made in 1963 half mag. I mounted a period correct Weaver K4 on it. I bought 300 of Carolina Cast Bullet's 190 Ranch Dog. RX7 and that boolit get along just fine in my gun.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid