Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: S.H.O.T. Show Rifle Intro

S.H.O.T. Show Rifle Intro

Lyman's New Ideal Model is a continuation of where the historic Sharps Rifle Series left off.

Co-developed in partnership with Chiappa Firearms, this elegant rifle is scaled down in size and weight, making it a superior hunting rifle in the renowned .38-55 and .22 Hornet chamberings.

The streamlined lock profile and vintage-style laser engraving are exclusive to this Lyman's Ideal Model and unavailable elsewhere.

Further, Lyman's proven tang sight and globe front sight combine with the rifle's double set triggers to deliver the full measure of accuracy this premium rifle offers.

* Lyman Specification Bore Dimensions
    * Custom Lyman Tang Sight with Target and Hunting Apertures
    * Precision Lyman Globe Front Sight With Inserts
    * Distinctive Receiver Profile featuring original Lyman Stylized Engraving
    * Bright Finish Receiver
    * Vintage Style Laser Engraving

MSRP Part # Caliber Weight:
    $1595.00 (#6003855) 38-55 Win, 8 lb, Available Mid Dec 2010
    $1595.00 (#6000022) 22 Hornet, 8 lb, Available Mid Jan 2011

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I was interested but when I read
    * Lyman Specification Bore Dimensions
    it kind of scares me.
    They don't even know what size to make molds much less a rifle. WAIT!!
    A thought. Mebbe Mike V. handled Lymans part in it!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Its been available for about three years from Charles Daily for about half that price.
    Marketing strategy! if it dont sell well change the name and raise the price.
    Remington did the same thing with the CZ rifles.
    I was buying the CZ model 99 22 RF rifles for about $150.00 shipped from CDNN then they became a Charles Daily and the price went up and now they are the Rem model 5 and are now three times what they were from CDNN as a CZ 99 for the same gun.
    There is or was an outfit I think they were in Big Sandy Mt. and I think they were called The Little Sharps Co. that started making these mini Sharps rifles and the quality was good and the price was big.
    If you want to see one of the Italian mini sharps there has been a couple listed on Gunbroker for about $800.00

Boolit Master
    I saw the add and was interested... but when I saw made by "chiappa" and a $1600 price tag well that turned me off. But I figured the bore would match "their" molds maybe. I do like their choice of calibers. I think Id rather gamble on a Browning/Win high/low wall for under that price though

Boolit Master
    JUNK

KW

PS the Little Sharps out of Big Sandy was bought up by the company Dakota Arms, in Sturgis SD and price went up even more, I dont even know if they are available. I see adds though still for Big Sandy rifles that show Chapa made guns? not sure whats up now?

Boolit Buddy
    The American Little Sharps folks had a table at last years American Custom Gunmakers Guild show in Reno. I don't know if they'll be there at this year's show, which is later this month. Excepting size, there's not much to compare between the handmade American and the machine made import.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Mold
    I was wondering about the twist rate of the Hornet so I went and looked at Armi Sport, the one's that make the mini-sharps for Chiappa and they call out 1x406mm (1:16) so I emailed Lyman and asked them. I was hoping for a 1 in 12 twist since they listed them with "Lyman Specification Bore Dimensions" I got a email back and it's a 1:16 twist rate. So now I don't know what Lyman's Bore specification's really are??? Hype maybe.

Boolit Mold

Question Lyman Ideal Model 38-55 Bore Size

I talked to a rep at Lyman and was told that the bore on the 38-55 is .378. The next question is.... what is the correct size boolit to load? .375? .377? .380?

Boolit Master
    before I would spend $1600 on a chappa I would spend the same on a C Sharps 1875 and get a rifle I know would shoot well.

Boolit Master
    A C Sharps for that kind of money would have a #3 creosoted fencepost for wood...

Boolit Buddy
    Funny that everyone is so down on those Chiappa made Lil Sharps. I have 2 of them. One in 45 Colt and one in 38-55. They BOTH shoot way better than me or my friends can hold them. And I didn't pay $1,000 each.

T-o-m

Boolit Master
    I like them, just finding one at a decent price. If I could get one in 25-35; now that would be something to write home about.

Rich

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm with Mr.Oliver on this . It all looks real pretty untill you remember the problems Lyman has had producing quality . Initial price doesn't scare me , the cost of fixing to make it right is gonna be a problem .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the Chiappa's in 38-55 and have to shoot 381 boolits, but I get a 3 round clover leaf at 100 yards scoped and rested.