Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Whyte's Bearcat Flap Holster Rig

Boolit Master

Whyte's Bearcat Flap Holster Rig

Here is a rig that Mark Whyte of Whyte Leatherworks put together for my son, who wanted a rig for backpacking.

We were working with a few problems here. First, Mark had to lay hands on a new model Bearcat to make a pattern for the holster. He found a friend at a shoot who accomodated him.

Next was getting a cross draw holster, cartridge pouch, and Buck Woodsman knife all in a comfortable and handy position when the wearer has a 29" waist.

The gun leather and knife sheath match perfectly, and the whole rig with gun, knife, and ammo in place weighs three pounds, the same as an unloaded Super Blackhawk

The only thing my son has left to do is to get a lanyard ring put on the Bearcat.

I was very pleased how the whole project was brought to fruition by Mark Whyte of Whyte Leather Works.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

Mark might be offering this as a standard item.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks fantastic. Question: How secure is the revolver. I have a flap holster that I want to use more, but the thing doesn't totally secure the gun. It can work itself out without the flap being opened. In the woods, I really prefer a flap holster. No quick draw stuff is needed out in the woods. Some of our old motor men and emergency vehicle men had flap holsters but that was 25 years ago. I've looked around and can't find one.

Bowfin,
    That boy of yours is one lucky kid!
    Mark did beautiful job on that rig. I carried a Ruger Bearcat daily for enough years to wear almost all of the bluing off. It has always been a good shooter for me.
    I hope your son enjoys the rig and the Bearcat.
    Good luck, jmsj

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rig, bet you have one happy young man.

Boolit Master
    Question: How secure is the revolver? I have a flap holster that I want to use more, but the thing doesn't totally secure the gun. It can work itself out without the flap being opened.
    I don't see how that would be possible with this holster, as it is a snug fit and the revolver sits pretty far down in the holster.

Mark said he would probably make subsequent copies with a flap that would more fully cover the butt of the gun if that was a preference.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rig, bet you have one happy young man.
    Yes he was!

My son bought the Bearcat from money he earned at his job with a local vet clinic, The knife was a Christmas present, and the rig was a belated surprise graduation present. The ironic part was that he found a picture of his holster on Mark Whyte's website the day it showed up here, as he has been looking for such a holster since he bought the revolver in September

Boolit Master

725: The flap on my holsters is right against the hammer and grip, don't see any way the gun can get out. I can do a larger flap if preferred, but bowfin wanted to put a lanyard ring on his gun so it needed to be a bit more exposed. I've seen quite a few flap holsters of other maker's also, hard to imagine the gun getting out, must be a generic design that is too loose on your gun. Mine are all made to the specific model, hence needing to find and borrow a gun. Good thing I have friends with lots of guns. I tell my wife I need to own one of everything to use as leather patterns but she just isn't buying it!

Boolit Grand Master
    You're dead on. It's a generic nylon holster that I thought would get me by. Loose fit. I'll save my pennies and someday have you make me a flap holster for a S&W K frame, heavy under barrel lug revolver.

Boolit Master
    The ironic part was that he found a picture of his holster onMark Whyte's website the day it showed up here, as he has been looking for such a holster since he bought the revolver in September
    In fact, when I walked in the door after work, my son's exact words were, "Dad! You'll never guess what I found today at this Whyte Leatherwork's website!"

Boolit Master
    Mark made the belt, ammo pouch, and holster. They match up very well with the standard black sheaths that accompany Buck knives.

This particular holster is not lined.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Mark, Springfield Slim, one time on another forum said he would rather do leather work then cast bullets. Your rig is an example of his skills! A real nice rig!
    Regards
    John

Ruger flap holster

Whyte's Leather Works.
    Here's a Flap holster Mark made for me back in March of 2011. Mark Made this to fit perfectly for a 10" Ruger MK II.
    I believe @ the time he had no access to a longer barreled ruger .He got the job done by just making holster
    longer and it came out perfect. I just wanted a holster, nothing fancy, and he did a wonderful job. I may be wrong.
    but I believe that same holster is also pictured on his site. Mark's a good guy to do business with so don't
    hesitate to ask him for what you want. Thank you Mark.
    Attachment 40235
    I don't know you....but I have met you a 1000 times

Boolit Master

Actually what I said was I'd rather make a living doing leather work than selling cast bullets. Casting can be fun if you do it for yourself but doing thousands of them a week can turn into real work!

Boolit Master

725: I do have a S&W model 66, so I can do a holster for your gun. What is the barrel length?