MCD ProductsLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best group with H&R/NEF ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    My 45-70 barrel is about 12 yrs. old, pre-Remington, if that matters. It's 8 groove, double checked it, it's .452/.459. Just eyeballing it, the lands are about 1/2 as wide as the grooves. Anybody have experience with gc vs. pb in these? I haven't tried a gc in mine but it seems like it might be the way to go with this 'modified' Micro-Groove job. (I think the true 'Micro Grooves' are 12 groove).
    I went back and looked at my notes and found that it is 12 groove, and measured .4550/.4565. I just got back from the range and got a chance to shoot the harder bullits against the 1 in 20. I shot 4 groups with each and the harder alloy was clearly 1/3 smaller groups.I sized them down to.457. best I could do with soft was2" best with the hard was just out of 1" average was 1 1/4". Ill play with seating a little but over all Im happy. DR

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    Here is a custom barreled H&R in 357 Maximum that did pretty well...

ASSASSIN

Hey Guys,

sorry to take so long in getting back here...

JesterGrin 1 - Thank You!

dwight hardy - I built the barrel and it is 1.062" in diameter / 25" long / stainless steel / 1-20" twist rate. The forend has been pillar and glass bedded and the trigger adjusted down to 2 lbs....

Here is the load used in the gun to shoot the targets posted -

CASE: R-P 357 Maximum

PRIMER: Remington 7 1/2

POWDER: Winchester 296 / 25.3 gr.

BULLET: Remington 158 gr. JHP

VELOCITY: 2,462 fps.

ASSASSIN

Boolit Master
    Nice!

Boolit Master

I picked up my Classic Carbine in 45 Colt and have had a few trips to the range. The first trip out I loaded up the last 5 230 RN (Lee mold) that were lubed up. 10 grains of unique launched at 1300 fps. WOW! My order of ingots came in from the Captain (Thanks again, Kathy!) and I was able to mold up some 255 RF (Lee mold) which weighed out at 260. The next batch were 10.5 grains of unique for 1300 fps. WOW! (Again) and the next trip was 11.5 grains of unique for 1400 fps. ZERO leading so far with Rooster Red, primers just starting to flatten out. My next loads will be with 4227 to see how things go. Gary, the trigger is clean, crisp, and I feel no need to have it done. I have always wanted a single shot just for cast loads and am so jazzed by this rifle. Oh ya, I did feel compelled to play with a couple plinker loads. I launched a couple round ball loads (Lee mold, .454) at 900 fps, what fun! I also played with a couple 200 RN (Lee mold, conical for an 1858 Remington BP copy) and they launched nicely with no leading. I think the mold is .454 and the tapered base is either A) close to dimension or B) bumping up on launch. I think the 200 RN may be perfect for one of Pat Marlin's plain base gas checks. Brass is in the tumbler, lubrisizer heater is warming up, almost time to seat and crimp some more boolits. Frank

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buffalo Classic (45-70) - vernier rear & globe foresight - 600yds - 5 shot group:
    7" x 2.25" ... 3 holes that could be covered by a half dollar
    2 witnesses - no pictures
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    That's it, what is the best you've done accuracy wise with one of these little wonders? I'm working with a couple barrels but have no bragging material yet. I'm curious how others have done. Hunting or benchrest accuracy, both have their place. Pictures? Oh yeah, we like pictures.
    This little .30-30 would should sub-MOA anytime right out of the box. I've owned quite a few Handis that would do the same thing.

Boolit Master
    H&R Buffalo classic in .45-70:

at 100 yards:
    9 rounds .50 group
    10th round opened up the group to .70. I guess it was a flyer. Shocked the heck out of me.

My eye doctor is a shooter and he gets it. We make small adjustments in my contact lenses until the target at the range is as clean as clean can be.

Boolit Buddy
    Assassin...Looking at your targets reminds me of what I do for something to shoot at. I open up used Kleenex-type boxes with scissors by snipping from the clear plastic insert to each corner, open/trim them up, add flo orange squares cut/glued from a large poster board purchased from the Dollar Store (or from junk mail envelopes), flatten them with a cutting board for an hour while they dry, and then thumb tacked to the target board when ready to shoot. I make any needed notes on them and keep these on file for future reference which is really handy when several rifles/loads are involved. It's especially handy when determining which .22 ammo a new rifle prefers. Determine which rifle will make the trip, pull out the target, grab the appropriate ammo, and head for the range/woods.

Boolit Buddy
    My 44mag has done a best of 2" @ 100yds with the Lee 310gr RFNGC sitting over max loads of H110. Kind of depessing considering my Dan Wesson 744VH8 will do 3" with the same load. I found one in the local gs this week in 280 Rem. It has a cheap Tasco 3x9 on it. They are asking $280 for it but since I still work there part time I can get it for way less than the asking price. I'm really considering this rifle. My 700BDL in 280 is pretty darned accurate and I have dies to load 'em up. Anyone shoot the 280 in a NEF?
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Banned

Classic Carbine in .45 Colt with a 4 MOA red dot sight. Gun would probably do better but that's as good as I can shoot it right now. With ammo loaded for SAA and 255-grain boolits it grouped 3" consistently at 25 yards, but after trying nearly ten different boolits and as many powders, I finally put something together that it liked.

Here's the same load at 100 yards, with a card wad added under the boolit, the load is still compressed. The circle is 4" on the inside.

Gear

I've owned Handi Rifles in most of the rimmed calibers, and they all shot MOA or less right out of the box. I've probably owned 5 of the .45-70s and they were all extremely accurate. I don't believe in breaking in a barrel, I just shoot them.

Boolit Buddy
    Best I've ever shot with a Handi is 1-1/4" at 100 yards with a 30-30 barrel with Reflex sight and factory JSP ammo. Some very tiny (<1") 50 yard groups with the same barrel at 50 yards with 115 LRN handloads (Trail Boss and Magnus bullets).

Maybe I need to work out my .357 mag and my .45 Colt classic carbine a little more. My CC seems to love the 200 and 185 grain LSWC's designed for the .45 auto.

Boolit Buddy
    I've a 22 mag, one hole 50 yards, scoped and rested. A 243 one hole, scoped and rested. On the 22 mag, I shot 4 different groups with Win 40 gr solid point (all different lots) got a 3 round group you could cover with a quarter, to a 3 round group you could cover with a cigarette butt on end. The 243 shots factory Hornaday 100 gr., one hole (not cloverleaf, one hole).