RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Hunters Check In Please

Boolit Buddy

I saw some doe antelope sunning on a side hill. I sneaked up the back side and looked down on them about 40 yds. I had my 44mag, so I placed the '06 on the ground and shot the closest doe. When she rolled over, I was hooked on handgun hunting for big game. I have always hunted grouse with a .22 pistol, am looking forward to trying a .32 with CB's.

another handgun hunter here. Still haven't figured out the perfect setup, but have taken deer with the 357 mag, 44 mag, and 7mm-08 all out of handguns. I might do some heavy 45acp+P stuff for some in close hunts next year.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've carried a 357 for about 10yr whether rifle or shot gun hunting . It has accounted for,1 cottontail,2 coyotes,1 badly hit mulie doe(afriend of a friends newphew ruined the tender loins) at about 25 yd and another I should have shot w/the pistol in the 1st place (she was boiler housed at about 40 yd and just locked up every hair on her standing up.) . That was a 15 yd brain disconnection. Same deer situations my RBH 45 Colts will handle from here on out .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

I have hunted with revolvers and TC's since about 1969, have always enjoyed it. To be honest have used TC's mostly, used revolvers some but not near as much as the TC's. JMHO

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Master

My last 3 muledeer were taken with my Blackhawk .45 LC with cast 255 RCBS SW, 18.5 grs of AA#9. The last one shot was at about 40 yds straight at me. The boolit entered the chest and was just under the hide by the tail. I'd say that was good penetration on a 155 lb deer.

Boolit Buddy
    I do most of my hunting with revolvers. Here are a few pics from the last year.

This is my other favorite hunting weapon!!!!!!

Life begins at 45 caliber!

Boolit Master
    Well. A picture truly is worth a thousand words! You are a kindred spirit and you are among kindred spirits
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Another handgunner here. I carry m 29 4 inch with iron sights and m28 6 inch with 4 x Leuplod scope . I got 4 bucks and 6 doe with my 29 and 1 buck and 3 doe with the 28. My load for the 44 is 429421 cast with Lino type and 18.5 grains of 2400. My 357 load is358156 with 14.5 grains of 2400. Check out my profile .

Boolit Buddy
    Have been hunting with a handgun since 1975. I've taken about 20 whitetails, 2 mule deer,2 bull elk,one blackbear and lots of small game. In fact I've never killed a head of big game with a rifle.
    In the last few years i've tried to hunt with a revolver as much as possible, but I have taken many animals with T/C Contender/Encore.

BigboreShooter

Boolit Grand Master

Wow. Some hardcore handgun hunters around here. Very impressive. Guess my Contenders need to come out of retirement. New scope covers came in today, all I need is a few pistol boolit loads.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    all I need is a few pistol boolit loads.
    Sure like you "need" another mould.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Sure like you "need" another mould.
    Thanks..that reminds me...I need another mold.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyasafox View Post
    I have taken deer with a a few encore calibers (7mm-08 in a 15in barrel & 44mag in a 10 in barrel) as well as a 357 mag revolver. I much prefer hundgun hunting, and have little desire to do anything else. All hunting done with other implements (archery, muzzleloader, etc) is just to help fill the freezer.

small game hunting with a 22 lr pistol is also about as much fun as a person can have.
    Tricky, in the commonwealth where I live the only semi-auto firearm legal for hunting is a shotgun. I gues a Browning humpback is not evil, according to the Game Commission. My .22 Buckmark is only used to kill paper, and ward off intruders to my home. I might actually try my Nagant pistol on Squirrel some day; ground shots only.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Thanks..that reminds me...I need another mold.
    You're welcome. HEE HEE

Boolit Grand Master
    Hogs with a .44 T/C & 10mm semi-auto. Deer with a .44 T/C & .30 Herret T/C. As soon as I can save some money for a scope, I plan on adding .35 Herret T/C to the list. Come to think of it, once I had to dispatch an injured (road accident I came upon) deer with my ever present .22 LR NAA mini revolver. Humanity required it's relief from further suffering. One shot to the back of the head was instantaneous.

Boolit Grand Master

Sure like you "need" another mould. -LAH

All kidding aside I was planning on using the RD 359-190 in my Contender. It likes the Hornady 180 (really, really likes it!) but I may need to consider other options.
    I have a 10" (?) 44 barrel that I have little use for, it was attached to a receiver with a red dot sight and the price seemed a bit low. Used it for load development so I could load for my brother's 44 and it's been idle ever since. I know, flimsy excuse for buying a gun, us single guys can get away with that. I don't have any 429 moulds, so mebbe I do "need" another mould.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

1 Whitetail so far with a handgun and cast bullet. Ruger Super Redhawk, 7.5 barrel, Ruger 480, 400 grain Lee bullet, Accurate #9 powder, shot the doe head on at about 18 paces. Bullet entered just to the right of her sternum traversed the whole length of her body, punched her lungs and liver, missed the intestines, broke her ham bone and came to rest just under the hide. Bullet was cast with wheel weights. It still weighed 380 grains after taking out ribs and that ham bone.

Don't have the 480 anymore. Now have a 454 Casull Super Redhawk and haven't hunted with it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

David

Boolit Grand Master

Now have a 454 Casull Super Redhawk and haven't hunted with it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

David

Too bad about the 480, sounds like an excellent performer. I'm betting the 454 will serve you well. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. What barrel length do you have? Optics?

Handgun hunting

I used handguns a good deal more in the past than recently..... but got started with the big handguns because I despised slug guns so much for deer hunting. Couple of deer with the Ruger Super Blackhawk (429244 GC), couple of deer with the T/C 357 Herrett ( jacketed, but have now developed an awesome RCBS 35-200 GC load).......oh, finished off one of my deer with a 100+ yd shot with the T/C 30 Herrett (jacketed also). Made another finishing shot with the 44 Mag at 160 yds after I hit a deer with the slug gun at 50 yds, then proceeded to miss with the next 3 slugs at 145,150 & 155 yds and it was getting away. Love those 429244s!
    Have shot a few woodchucks with the Colt 357 Mag which has never seen anything but cast boollits. One woodchuck I remember was taken with my Ruger Single Six with the 22 Mag cylinder.
    dmitch

Handgun sillyness

Handgun hunting is very rewarding. I normally use a TC in .357, .30-30, or .45 colt if I'm not carrying a Marlin 30-30 or 45-70.

Silliness enters the picture with a 45-70 TC with a muzzle brake, around 16" OAL.
    Ranch Dog's 340 grain or RCBS 300 grain is launched at 1500 fps..
    Gives a silly-accurate little clover leaf one hole performance at 50 yards
    Gives a silly dust cloud from the ground when fired
    Gives an impulse pressure and noise level which clears nearby range benches with one shot (muzzle brake under a low tin roof will rattle your fillings!!)

Gives a serious knuckle busting, even with special gloves.
    Three shots and my 3rd and 4th finger knuckles are crippled for a month, but wow what an effect on pigs.
    Think I'll leave the .45-70 to the Marlins, Rugers, and Sharps...
    Had enough fun to last awhile.