MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeade copper checks

Homeade copper checks (pics now included)

According to Pat Marlin, he used .010" copper to form copper checks. Does anyone know if this material is suitable for the checkmaker tool, or visa-versa? One square foot of material will produce approximately 670 gas checks. Soooo, this means that this sheet of copper will be enough material for 6700 checks, or, based on cost including shipping, $16.17/1000. Comments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360414369890...84.m1423.l2649
    Last edited by sirgknight; 01-11-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: pics added
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

I haven't tried none of the copper materials of any thickness myself . I use the Al. roll 4"x 50 ' that is .014 thick. PM's tool works a lot better with that gage thickness....and a lot cheaper then the copper. Others here have tried thinner gage material in both copper and Al. I find the tool to
    work better in that .014 range for my .35 Cal. casts. I believe the number for that roll of Al. is
    #68104 , True value hardware stores.
    I don't know you....but I have met you a 1000 times

I have a roll of that aluminum and have made many checks with it, but I'm wanting to try my hand at some copper checks.......
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

If you haven't already, there is some good info in this topic GAS CHECKS that can shed more light
    on people using copper and there Experiences with too thin of material or too thick . Too thin and then the tolerances for the tool to form become an issue .

Moderator Emeritus

I use the .010" soft copper foil for making gas checks with Pat's Checkmaker tool and really like it. There are cheaper places to buy copper, though. When you factor in the shipping, that's an expensive deal you've linked to. Try this one for a better deal, since all their prices include shipping: http://store.electrical-insulators-a...th-12-00-.html

I've purchased from them in the past and it's good stuff.

Hope this helps.

Fred

thanks for the headsup.....
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Boolit Buddy
    I am using one of Pat's Checkmakers. I get better accuracy with the 0.014" aluminum than I do with 0.010" copper.

I contacted storm copper and they are sending me a sample piece of their .010 and .016 copper sheeting, no charge. They seem to be very nice people to deal with.
    Last edited by sirgknight; 01-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Moderator Emeritus

I like buying from them. I worked out the prices per square inch of material from about 5 or 6 different suppliers, and their's was the cheapest, due to the included shipping. For example, they're $20.00 cheaper than the outfit on ebay when you factor in the shipping on the same amount of material.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I belive Pat Marlin actually developed the CheckMaker tool around the .010 Half Hard copper so I'm sure it would work well.

I think most of us just prefer the .014 alum because it is cheaper and for most loads we can obtain the same results. If I ever run across some copper sheet for cheap I will probably give it a try but as it is I am happy with the alum and I have enough to last me quite a while.

I agree 30caltex....the tool is extremely cost-effective when using aluminum. For me I guess it's simply a cosmetic thing. I think the lead cast bullets look so much better with a "copper" check on the base, which has nothing to do with accuracy or cost, and once loaded you can't see them anyway. It's kinda like my reloading. I like to use nickel brass with jacketed bullets and brass brass for cast bullets. It's all in the appearance. Ain't that crazy?........
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

The .010 sample copper sheet arrived today - I'll be able to get 100 gas checks out of this free sample. I'm still waiting for the .016 sample. Here is a comparison between the .014 aluminum and the .010 copper checks. Making my own gas checks is very gratifying and rewarding, not to mention fun. These are .30 checks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCI0281.jpg   DSCI0283.jpg  
    Last edited by sirgknight; 01-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Don't forget to save up the copper excess (the strip with holes punched in it). That should get you about $3.50 a pound at scrap copper prices.

I like the fact that PM's GC maker has the versatility built into it for many a user to find his or her
    sweet spot for its many uses in material usage. I for one am glad to have invested in one of those GC makers myself. Wished they were around back in the middle 80's when I was a more active shooter. That tool sure is a $$ saver. I'm sticking to the Al. for my checks. .014. Right now
    I just couldn't afford Copper....they want money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    The .010 sample copper sheet arrived today - I'll be able to get 100 gas checks out of this free sample. I'm still waiting for the .016 sample. Here is a comparison between the .014 aluminum and the .010 copper checks. Making my own gas checks is very gratifying and rewarding, not to mention fun. These are .30 checks.
    sirgknight, Just curious did you ever get the .016 sample and how did that compare to the other materials you tried? Which do you feel you got the best results with?
    By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was levelling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Boolit Grand Master
    Glenn,

Let me point out that those are some fine looking boolits there in your photo also.

Ben

They don't have a scrap piece of the .016 copper on hand, but they are sending me a piece as soon as it is available. The .014 aluminum and .010 copper make superb checks and I really can't make any discerning differences between the two. Thanks Ben, I really like these boolits. They will become my go-to 30-30 bullet for the whitetail....
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to do some experimentation of my own in the next couple months and have been researching Gas checks to get a starting point before I receive my tools.

Quick question, can you cut a pop can up and roll its cylinder flat and use that as stock to cut gc's?

Soda, beer, juice and other types of cans are definitely sources of aluminum. Some of the guys do use them but say they are a little too thin unless it is doubled. Others say that they use a special beer can that is a thicker aluminum. That's the great thing about making our own checks. It gives us the ability to experiment with different materials. Personally, I have used only the material that has been recommended by Pat, but I am not beyond experimenting.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69