MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Noob Lead question

Super Moderator

Noob Lead question

I just ordered 60lbs of "Hardball" from Rotometals without doing a lot of research first. I am casting for handgun only at this point, but rifle in the near future. Is this mix too hard for handgun, or will I be OK with it for both handgun & rifle? Thanks in advance...

Banned

hardball is usually 2/6/92 alloy.
    i use 1/3/96 for all my revolver stuff.
    i add sulphur or arsenic containing alloy to it to waterdrop for my rifle stuff.
    anyways the 2/6/92 is what most commercial casters use, you'll be fine.

Super Moderator

Thanks....I didn't want to call them and try to change my order.

Way back in the day I used to cast everything w/ linotype because I could get it for 25c/#! You'll be fine, but could go softer for lower pressure stuff.

Boolit Master

That alloy is harder than you need for light to medium loads in most handguns but will work. Fit is king, so slug your barrel and size .001" over the barrel size. If a revolver, measure the cylinder throats and hope they are the same as the barrel or slightly larger.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Sure, you can shoot it with a good fit to your gun but it's hard for most handgun applications. Order some pure and cut it 50/50, your hardball will go twice as far and it will be a better handgun alloy. It will also cut the cost per pound.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Ya know, I have to keep reminding myself of what my use and expectations are for cast boolits. (Sometimes need others to remind me as well, as recently by Larry Gibson, "Thanks" again Larry) I have been reloading and casting boolits for years, but have just the last couple of years decided to use cast for hunting. Previously my use of cast was plain based practice handgun rounds in semi auto's (Any alloy hard enough to result in no leading was good, and I never bought gas checks). Then I was enlightened to the using of cast for hunting, and bought a .30 cal. GC mould and started casting for a 30-30 rifle (NEVER shot cast in a cartridge rifle before). After reading MANY threads, studying others results, and experimenting on my own, I found a load that gave superb accuracy, no leading and was soft enough to expand. Killed my first cast bullet deer this year with it. I'll never buy those j word things again for a 30-30! Point is, I stumbled on the right bullet/ powder/ charge early on with that round for accuracy, but then had to work down in hardness, and scrubbed some lead from the bore, trying to get not only the BHN right, but the blend. Too much antimony was brittle and sheared rather than expand smoothly. This forum is a great source of information and knowledge, but you must remember YOUR need in a cast boolit, and factor in what others are getting from THEIR results. Linotype bullets shoot great in most rifles, but they are like shooting a FMJ for hunting. I got into the thought process of shooting heavy cast in .357 revolvers and carbine without gas checks to around 1600 fps in carbine and 1300 in revolver. It can be done and I was ready to alter or buy PB moulds to do it, but my alloy would need to be harder than I would want it to be for hunting use, so I'll keep my gas checks for (soft) hunting rounds, and hunt down a PB for practice rounds in the interest of economy. Rotometals has good products, but you have to consider what those products are designed to do, and use accordingly. Spend ALOT of time here, read old posts, search,and study if you want to better understand the why's and how's of velocity and how little it really matters, pressure and how much it really does matter, the importance of powder selection, and probably most important, FIT. There's alot to digest, feast and enjoy!

Boolit Master
    When you are right your right ready on the right. Couldn't agree more.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Sure, you can shoot it with a good fit to your gun but it's hard for most handgun applications. Order some pure and cut it 50/50, your hardball will go twice as far and it will be a better handgun alloy. It will also cut the cost per pound.

Rick
    I agree with Cbrick 100%.

For handgun bullets, cut the Hardball 50/50 with pure lead or Stick-on wheel weight lead (Go 1/2 Hardball with 1/2 soft lead).

I'd also say, for rifle bullets, just ad 3% Tin to get it up close to Lyman #2 alloy. (5% Sn, 5% Sb, 95 Lead)

Either way, your hardball alloy is good stuff, no matter how you use it.

DC-1