RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grey Squirrel

Boolit Master
    MMMMMM! Haven't had any squirrel since 1961. Sure do miss it.

My Uncle would call them in with pair of silver 50 cent pieces.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Man
    We bread our squirrels in seasoned flour, brown them in a cast iron skillet. Then put some onion slices in with them, a little water, and put a lid on them. in the oven at 325 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. keep checking so they do not dry out. pan drippings make the great gravy. now I'm getting hungry.

L Ross
    I really enjoy squirrel hunting and eating them. I use a 36 cal. poor boy flinter, a Stevens Ideal 32-20 with black or smokeless, a Win. Single Shot in 25-20, and a whole parade of 22's. For KY Caster I have an idea. I had a Marlin 22 mag. that a good friend reluctantly sold me because it shot so inaccurately. Like 2" groups at 25 yards with a variety of 22 mag. ammo. I told him I understood but it was good enough for knockin' coons outa the bird feeder. I happened to try CCI 22 WRF ammo in it and oh my gawd it now puts 5 shots into a pencil eraser size group at 25 yards and with a 45 gr. Speer hollow point at 1475 fps it kills with authority but not a huge amount of damage. The toughness of that bullet combined with the modest velocity is just a balanced ticket. This ammo is strictly recommended not to be fired in 22 mag. revolvers as the bullet dia. is .226and they can stick in the bore, but the Marlin micro groove rifle barrel loves it.

Duke

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You guys could use a nice flintlock, in .32, or .36 for the finest classic squirrel hunting. Order now, you would likely have a new rifle by next fall! I have time to build some.
    I have a nice Issac Haines 40 flint that I use from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by luna butte View Post
    i have nothing against eating a "real squirrel", but the bushy tailed rats that we have frequenting the rock piles around here are not squirrels. our "greydiggers" are more like a cross between a prairiedog and a rat. they make great dog treats and exellent targets!

i have never had the oppurtunity to consume a squirrel, though i would jump at it.

just south of here across the columbia river there is another critter that i find fairly interesting called a "sage rat" i have never seen one up close but they appear at first glance to be a midget prairiedog

I was just joking. I used to live in Wenatchee so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Banned

you guys are gonna get me to get my win 94/22 back in action again after them treetop whitetails. Currently favored firearms choice for them sneaky grey's is my Rem 541T and rem golden bullets. The low vel hp's, they do a bang up job.

Boolit Master

I hear em calling you, well actually barking.

Banned

Boolit Master
    Regarding calling, they also make a squirrel "barker" call. I was confused about the purpose of it (it can sound similar to an alarm call so thats no good) until one year I noticed the boar squirrels chasing each other late in the year (dec-feb). They make a short barking sound just like the call.

Boolit Master
    That squirrel looks good, but somehow looks better in the second picture!

Granpa had 'em eatin' out of his hand. Taught me to trap some air in my cheek,
    then tap it with a finger for "chirp chirp chirp". Can do it just with your tongue but
    not as easy.

Gimme one o' them biscuits, wouldja?

Boolit Master

To make the old tough greys edible, my wife pan frys them until golden brown, then puts them in her small pressure cooker until tender.
    I took 3 tough old greys and slowcooked them until the meat fell off the bones and mixed the meat with BBQ sauce and served on grilled buns...yum...dale

Boolit Master
    Everything is edible. Not everyone knows how to cook.

Going Western Grey hunting here in about 1/2 hour. Made a great soup the other day, pressure cooked the squirrel for 30 min, cleaned out the bones and clipped the meat small with scissors. Added diced red potatoes, cilantro, 1/2 jalapeno diced, diced onion, garlic salt and a pinch of chili powder. Threw the lid back on the pressure cooker for 40 min and presto. Even SWMBO liked it!
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Took my daughterSaturday for her first trip with her new Rem 597 she got for Christmas.Got 3 of those boogers.She can't wait for next Saterday!
    Preserve Wildlife,,,,use freezer bags!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm planning on taking my son this Sunday weather permiting. I know a guy who looks at me funny when I told him we eat the squirrels we shoot. Mind you he eats road kill.

Boolit Master

If they climb in trees and eat acorns and hickory nuts they are real squirrels and I sure will eat them. I love em fried I love em in a pot of dumplings. Shot in the head with a 22 the best but I dont mind picking out shot either LOL. Great eating ... Now I am hungry.

Boolit Master

One of the best things I think about hunting them is it's relaxing. Just requires some patience.

I enjoy hunting the little greys here in Georgia. I shoot mine with shot gun (well 56 cal smooth bore Renegade) and find that is plenty of challenge. Fried squirrel (the best)well maybe rabbit(well maybe pheasant) Guess I just like them all.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

When the Law no longer protects me from the Government
    The Law no longer protect the government from Me.

Boolit Bub

Barking Squirrels

As a teenager (in the seventies) I took my 50 T/C Hawken squirrel hunting with round balls (home cast of course) on my Grandfather's farm. Had a bead on a gray and was pulling the trigger when a hawk flew over casting a shadow and causing the squirrel to move. (that's my story and I'm stickin to it). Bullet took the squirrel a bit far back. But with a 50 it was still an instant kill! Funny thing there was no hole. The squirrel's skin ripped going in and comming out. The result, no blood and a very small slit in the tummy that wasn't easy to see.

As I past my Grandfather on the way back, he looked at the squirrel, didn't see the tummy slit and said "Barked 'em didn't ya?"

I never told him any different
    As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Numerous "squirrels" in my neck of the woods but only two are worth eating and only one is usually legal to shoot. The ground squirrels typified byt the Belding, the California Rock squirrels (greydiggers) and the red diggers of NE Oregon aren't worth trying to eat. However the Eastern Grey and the Silver Grey squirrels are good eating. The Eastern greys are imorts and found in cities and parks, thus they are not leagal "game". However, the Silver Greys are large tree dwellers and are prized for eating. There is a season in some counties in Oregon on the. I like to quarter them and stew them in a crock pot all day in a couple cans of mushroom soup (add water occasionaly) the same as i do snow shoe rabbits.

I use .22LRs a lot with the rounds swaged and HP'd with either the Paco tool or the Waltz die. Headshots are all I take on the Silver Greys and I want them DRT so they don't get away into a hole. I also use my 25-20 Savage M23 with a dead soft cast 257283HP over 2.7 gr Bullseye for 1090 fps and minute of squirrel headsot to 75 yards. The dead soft 80 gr HP wops them good and they are definately DRT. I also use the Lee TL314-90-SWC or the Hornady swaged 90 gr LSWC in .30/31 CFs over 2.8 - 3.2 gr Bullseye (depending on case) for 800 - 990 fps and excellent accuracy for squirrels. Mt little Mauser MK X in 7.62x39 is a favorite for that.

Larry Gibson