Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Kinda swaging............

Boolit Buddy

Kinda swaging............

Folks,

I got in a trade and ended up with 185 grain spitzer .3235 soft point remington bulk 8mm mauser bullets (yea i Know the J-word but i have a 7 gallon bucketful of the damn things and no i do not want to sell them and i have a mauser project too)
    SOoooo.....having a Mosin- Nagant with a 312 bore and a .314 lee push thru sizer first i tried beeswax and had to drill it out LOL so then i tried lanolin it was hard in my lee press then i went to my rockchucker......OK 10 of them are now sized @ .3143 I bet my Nagant will like these!!!! but what would be a better sizing lube ??????
    and after the resize can they still be used on deer and elk??? or will they be more prone to jacket separation?
    as far as load data does i was looking @ 190 grain starting loads and work up from there.
    Indymadcaster

Moderator Emeritus

I would polish the interior of the drilled out sizing die to a high luster with Flitz or J-B Bore Cleaner first. The smoother the finish, the easier the sizing.

For lube, I'd probably use Imperial Sizing Wax, though regular old STP would probably work, too. The STP would require some type of solvent to remove, but Simple Green would probably do it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Bub
    I think he drilled the bullet out of the die. he didn't drill the die.

Boolit Master

use your Lanolin lube its the best. Maybe some STP but Lanolin is the best. as far as jacket separation if your shooting paper it shouldn't matter. if your shooting animals then maybe buy some hunting bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    yes i drilled the bullet it left a rind of lead and a jacket which i drove out
    We hunt with mausers and nagants so the 185 gr spitzer soft points
    I hope will shoot well I am sure there has not been a whitetail made that will run off with good shot placement but there are elk where we hunt sooooooo if it presents itsself. we as a family kill a lot of deer and premium bullets are out of the budget. thats why we all hunt with military arms 2 diff firing pins springs and some screws keep us shooting.

Boolit Buddy

Sizeing a Jacketed Bullet

I went through this myself a few months ago. I was taking .277 270 cal bullets down to .271 dia. My die is hardened with a long taper and is smooth. All the usuall lubes failed. Sizeing wax,STP, Lee sizeing lube.RCBS case lube .All would stick and stick hard. What finally worked was two things. Regular NRA formula bullet lube and Lyman Super Molly cast bullet lube. The Super Molly was the best but,not by much. The trick was to,rub it on right from the stick. Thick too ,much thicker than you would believe is needed. This would take it from being impossible to pushing through with the effort of fl sizeing a 30-06 case. This is slow and a real bother but gets it done.
    Your 8mm bullet is bigger and you are reducing it even more. It could be you should do this in two steps .
    n.h.schmidt

Castor oil and Lanolin mix, my custom mix is about 15% Lanolin and 85% Castor oil.

Lanolin by itself or castor oil will work but for whatever reason the mix ends up as a great high pressure lube.
    Just fold copper on lead...