RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Mirco groove barrel and leading?

Question Marlin Mirco groove barrel and leading?

I was told today by a friend that I should not shoot lead bullets in my 1894p because it has a micro groove barrel and it will badly lead and \or damage the rifling.
    I scanned this section but did not see anything about this, Does my Marlin 1894p have this type rifling? will it harm it to use cast lead?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Mind Your Business-Benjamin Franklin 1776 Motto

Boolit Grand Master
    Even f it does it doesn't matter. Size them to fit your barrel and they won't be a problem.

I size to .359 for mine and it shoots lead quite well to over 1700 fps.

There are lots of old wives tales about micro groove barrels out there. You won't find many old wives here.

Thanks, Was as I suspected, just another" I heard"warning about something I read somewhere.
    But glad I asked before I take her out this weekend and put a couple boxes through her.

Dave
    Mind Your Business-Benjamin Franklin 1776 Motto

If it's got the word "Microgroove" Stamped on the side of it is a microgroove barrel or count your grooves, if there are 12 of them its a Microgroove.

No disrespect to your friend but he is flat out wrong. Cast bullets leading Microgroove barrels is an old wives tale.

I shoot cast exclusively in my .45 Colt 1894 with a microgroove barrel and not only have I never had any leading, it's dead on accurate with cast bullets. You can put me in the Microgroove is actually BETTER with cast bullets camp.

The key to shooting cast in a Marlin with a MG barrel is to slug your bore and size your cast bullets .001-.002 over your bore size and you are good to go. Mine slugs out at .4505, I size my bullets to .452 and lube with White Label Carnuba Red.

Even pushing SAA-270s over 10 grains of Unique I've yet to get any leading.

Good read for you here: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fr...ve-barrels.htm

Boolit Master
    my wifes 44 mag loves cast, bright rifling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by homesteading1 View Post
    I was told today by a friend that I should not shoot lead bullets in my 1894p because it has a micro groove barrel and it will badly lead and \or damage the rifling.
    I scanned this section but did not see anything about this, Does my Marlin 1894p have this type rifling? will it harm it to use cast lead?

Thanks,
    Dave

Not true.

Not true today.
    Not true yesteryear.
    Never was true.

As with any barrel, sizing diameter is critical.
    If you can, slug it.
    If you can't slug it, shoot it, and if it leads badly get a larger sizing die.
    I like .002 to .003 larger than bore diameter.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Your "friend" was wrong. Like any barrel you have to work up loads that work in your barrel. That includes boolit size, lube, powder selection and primers.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Marlin has made like a million micro-groove barrels in .22 Lr caliber...never hear any gripes about leading

Another thing!...I own a Marlin 1894 Cowboy competition carbine in .45 Colt...has 'Ballard rifling'...I've had it gather lead. So..just because a Marlin doesn't have micro-groove rifling..doen't mean it won't lead...does that make sense?

Side-note: Ballard rifling looks like plain old rifling to me....micro-groove rifling looks the same as plain old rifling except more lands and grooves...

Moderator Emeritus

My wife and I both shoot Marlin 1894's in SASS matches and have put probably 10,000 rounds through them, all lead. I've yet to find any leading in either of them, and lead is all that's put through them.

Your friend needs to get out more and stay off the computer.............

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    I have maybe 26 Marlin's with Micro Groove rifling and guess what !

I shoot cast bullets in ALL OF THEM with no problems !

And they are ALL 44 cal be it 444 or 44 MAG !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

More mule manure from 'experts' that have never shot a single round of cast.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

They don't want to ruin their barrels by shooting hard lead thru them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Wait a minute, my owners manual says to not use reloaded ammunition. Oh My! Another thing I have been doing wrong. Gtek

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Marlin 1894 microgroove in .44 mag and it did lead badly with cast but... the barrel runs 0.4315" groove diameter so the Lyman mould I bought for it that cast at 0.429 was undersize and the barrel had tight spots under the dovetails which I understand is quite common.

Moving up to 0.433" minimum diameter boolits helped bunches and lapping the tight spots out solved the rest. No leading now!

So, slug your barrel to determine boolit diameter (at least 0.001" over groove diameter) as Marlins run large. If leading is still a problem with a proper fitting boolit then check for tight spots and hand lap or fire lap to remove them.

With smooth barrel and proper fitting boolits it will shoot fine.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    Under-sized, soft lead bullets will lead if driven too hard. In my shade-tree gun smith days I twice had Marlins (IIRC, both 44's, but I don't guarantee that) come in with barrels that looked like sewer pipe. Both were Micro-groove barrels shooting undersized bullets, factory luballoy in the one and who knows in the other. I ended up plugging the barrel and filling the bores overnight with Mercury to de-lead the barrels. At the time, I parroted the party line from the reloading manuals. I have since learned oyherwise.
    Properly sized boolits shoot very well in microgroove barrels and they don't lead any more than any other rifled barrels, as thousands of satisfied users will attest.

I've converted several folks from 30-06 and .270 to pleasant shooting 30-30s in the past couple of years.... especially with lead bullets. Wacks critter just as dead as anything else when a shot is placed properly.
    Unfortunately, I cannot get any one of the converts to start casting....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I have maybe 26 Marlin's with Micro Groove rifling and guess what !

I shoot cast bullets in ALL OF THEM with no problems !

And they are ALL 44 cal be it 444 or 44 MAG !
    ...or even the rarer ...444MAGNIUM lol

Boolit Buddy
    2 years ago Ihad a fellow at bear camp tell me flat out, you can't even shoot cast boolits in a microgroove, won't work. Now you gotta understand he works at a gunshop and I don't so I can't possibly know anything. Well being the *** that I can be, I asked him if he really believed that?
    Yup it 's absolutely true!
    "well then start running BITCH"
    HUH
    If I can't even do it then you'll be safe after a few yaRDS ,GET AFTER IT! TIMMY HAND ME THAT 35 REMINGTON ,HERE.
    Needless to say the other guy was pretty quiet for a while. But I also took him to the sand pit the next day and let him fling a little wheel weight down range to prove not only can you it is very accurate and then we looked down the bore....NOPE NO LEAD.
    Tom

Boolit Man
    I've got to agree with everyone so far - I've been shooting cast out of my 1894cs (357mag) for almost a year now - I've put close to 1000 rounds through the pipe - no leading to speak of that doesn't come out with simple cleaning...with nice grouping to boot

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    The same rules apply when loading for either conventional or microgroove barrels. Find a good fitting bullet. Use a good lube, and proper bullet hardness and as long as your barrel isn't rough as a cob, you won't have any leading issues. I lernt thet rach ere.

They were right. I haven't tried any super fast loads yet, but I've pushed a Lyman 311041, Ideal 308291 and RD TLC311-165-RF over 2400fps without ANY leading. All of this was done with two Marlin 336's with microgroove barrels.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it