Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay changed, for the better

eBay changed, for the better

I read on another forum that eBay relaxed their restrictions on gun parts a couple weeks ago. Barrels, bolts, magazines and the like are starting to show up for auction again. Now if they would roll their fee structure back a few years maybe some of the hate would temper back to just a healthy dislike. I do not know the truth to this. I am simply the messenger. Hunter
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

GreeeeeedBay!
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Moderator Emeritus

While it's probably a good thing that ebay has relaxed a little bit, I doubt it has anything to do with respect of Americas 2nd Amendment and has everything to do with their bottom line. ebay simply cannot afford to be left behind. I predict paypal will follow suit and begin allowing gun sale charges if things keep going the way they are.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

They probably are allowing it since they want to increase the amount of money they make. It'll be interesting to see if it's true and how long it takes for ebay to become popular for it again.

Boolit Master

HMMMM, gotta go check on that one.......I'd hope they'd relax rules on EVERYTHING. I used to buy antique .22's on ebay but they've come down pretty hard on that, haven't bought a box in five years or more.

We did have a code among collectors when selling on ebay and got away with it for a bit. We would list the antique .22's and "This auction is for the BOX ONLY! All shells have been removed and the box is *just the way collectors like them*."

Once you found a seller who was reputable --- there were lots a few years back, and you caught that phrase in the auction, you always knew you were going to get an excellent, full of correct ammo .22 box.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Love Life
    I remember brass going super cheap the last few hours before e-bay shut down component sales. Funny thing is not many people really listed much brass on gbroker at that time. Gunbroker was known as that "Other auction site".

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Didn't Ben Cannon start a new auction site to compete with Ebay? How's that going?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

ebay is not an american owned company is it??

Boolit Buddy
    I think it is owned by GE Capitol.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master
    Just went over and checked....brass and bullets still banned....barrels now o.k., saw a number of Contender barrels listed, among the to be expected 10-22 take offs.

Used to buy a lot of brass and bullets over there, not much reason to return as Gun Broker is doing a good job.

I am still divorced from ebay, I didn't leave them, they left me.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

I do think Gunbroker is much better now than they used to be for parts and components; I'm sure that's a direct result of ebay's idiocy.

I just wish Gunbroker had a little different structure. The way they have it now maybe one item is sold for every thirty or forty listed.

Boolit Master
    fat, I have read on other boards that Ben's company ran into all kinds of trouble, people were having trouble getting their money. I haven't frequented the boards that had the most on them in quite awhile but if you go a googling I'll bet you find it....
    Paul

Boolit Master

Here is the exact verbiage from E-bay:

"The following gun parts and accessories are allowed on the eBay US site only. The seller must be in the US and offer domestic shipping only:

En bloc clips
    Barrels
    Bolts
    Choke tubes
    Cylinders
    Firing pins
    Hammers
    Magazines with a capacity to accept 10 rounds or less (high-capacity magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds are not allowed)
    Slides
    Trigger assemblies"

For what its worth, I still rather do business with the members of this site...Everyone gets a good deal, and we avoid the excessive fees! I want to support this site, not Ebay if I can help it.
    Last edited by Roundnoser; 12-27-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: addition
    Jon

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    One thing I noticed about Ebay when they did allow brass and gun parts...the winning bids seemed more reasonable, that is, you got a bit of a bargain. For whatever reason the other auction sites seemed to command higher prices. Maybe it's just me?

I suspect that Ebay finally realized they made one He!! of a mistake when they infuriated a lot of their market. I remember the anger quite well. They simply didn't understand that the so called "gun culture" is a real and massive part of this country.

I'll start looking for a 1911 barrel today.

Edit: Yep, it's true! I found rifle bolt sleeves, trigger guards, pistol barrels, etc.......glad they learned their lesson.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 12-27-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Wont be of much use to me until they do brass and bullets. Like another said, I would rather do business here.

Boolit Master

well, I put my first bid on Ebay since they got stupid on gun parts. But I bid on a mold instead of a part.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    fat, I have read on other boards that Ben's company ran into all kinds of trouble, people were having trouble getting their money. I haven't frequented the boards that had the most on them in quite awhile but if you go a googling I'll bet you find it....
    sarcasm sir. it was sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

I don't understand Ebay's prohibition on things like brass or projectiles. Do they think some gang thug in L.A. is going to buy components, reload them and use them in drive-by shootings?

You can buy knives on E-bay....Knives can be used as weapons to hurt or kill people...So why aren't they banned also?

I know its all politics, but it is also hypocritical....Now that Ebay need more money, they are relaxing their listed of prohibited gun items. So, what has changed? Its obvious their decisions are not ETHICAL ones....Its all about personal politics, and now (appearently) greed.
    Jon

Boolit Master
    OK fat.... I haven't been around for awhile. Haven't heard anything about Ben's exploits in some time.
    Paul

Boolit Buddy
    I buy molds and die off of ebay. Can't get them here in town or at a gunshow for that cheap. I work with one guy and he cuts me a great deal on shipping to. Last thing I order from him was .45acp bullet mold, bullet resizing die, case trimmer 3 die reload and a couple of same items for less then a $100.00. Here in town it would have been over 200
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454