MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Review of 22LR to 224 Kaine Dies by DanR

Boolit Mold
    Hello I´m from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I´ve just bought a set of .224 swage dies fron Kaines Dies.
    They work great!!! Now I can have very cheap bullets for my .22 hornet!!!
    The best of all is that this dies are very much cheaper than others and I can use them on my reloading press.

Ok, just back from the range with some more results. -3 C with a 10 mph cross wind which I don't think helped. Rem 700 heavy barrel with a 1:14 twist. 7 groups of five starting at 31 gr of H414 going up to 37 gr. 55 grn bullets. Ran them through the chrony this time. None of the groups broke 2" with 1" groups at 34 grn and 37 grns, which surprisingly, is exactally the same as I get with Hornadys. 37 grns give 3300 ft/sec and goes down almost exactly 100 ft/sec per 1 grn of powder to 2700 ft/sec at 31 grns. No indication of case separation. I loaded some at 41 grns which is slightly over max but didn't get a group, which is the same as I get with factory bullets. Hit 3800 ft/sec with those and again, no separations. I think these little pills have great potential and exceded anything I was expecting. I thought for sure the jackets would separate at these speeds. Can't wait till the gophers are out!! Have to go see if I can call in a coyote to try them on.

In Remembrance

With a slow twist, 1:14, you won't get any separation. The faster the twist (1:7, 1:9) the more rpm's the bullet is spinning as it leaves the barrel.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Banned
    hehehe had to post pic ^^
    this is some whiting to get a point ^^ its 1k+ i do not really keep count lol its 5 lb of lead and brass
    Last edited by xfoxofshogo; 12-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.

In Remembrance

I am seeing bullet POINTS that are all over the place. Short fat ones, skinny long ones.

Is your process that uncontrollable that you would have so much variation? It's a wonder that two bullets in a row even hit the same piece of paper.

When I swage bullets, I keep the results from each batch not only separated, but also marked as to what each batch is. (weight, diameter, length, etc)

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Xfox. Are those different wieght projectiles?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Banned
    no there not the same in gr and i have not put a point on them yet and i will post some pic of them win there done ^^

Banned
    you know im going to soot some like that and see what they do for fun lol

[QUOTE=xfoxofshogo;1515582]im shooting a 1-8 and all is good im pushing to the max as i use full loads and some times a bit more to where my brass olny last 6 or 8 reloads and not one had separation happen on the way to the target
    i will post a brass round that did not make it built it ded on too load was way to hot

i get rip on for stuff like this but i do testing i will mess up a lot of brass be for testing is over

/QUOTE]

You are going to hurt yourself or some one else if you keep that up. There is no excuse for working up loads that do that to the brass. You are way past what is reasonable in a production firearm. This kind of stuff is best left to expert facilities who use pressure test barrels and actions with full safety protections in place. When your gun comes apart, and it will eventually, it is likely that it will be more than just the gun that gets damaged. I am not ripping on you, I am pleading with you, don't keep doing this.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=MightyThor;1518266]
    Quote Originally Posted by xfoxofshogo View Post
    im shooting a 1-8 and all is good im pushing to the max as i use full loads and some times a bit more to where my brass olny last 6 or 8 reloads and not one had separation happen on the way to the target
    i will post a brass round that did not make it built it ded on too load was way to hot

i get rip on for stuff like this but i do testing i will mess up a lot of brass be for testing is over

/QUOTE]

You are going to hurt yourself or some one else if you keep that up. There is no excuse for working up loads that do that to the brass. You are way past what is reasonable in a production firearm. This kind of stuff is best left to expert facilities who use pressure test barrels and actions with full safety protections in place. When your gun comes apart, and it will eventually, it is likely that it will be more than just the gun that gets damaged. I am not ripping on you, I am pleading with you, don't keep doing this.
    +1 if you keep this up you will win a darwin award.

xfoxofshogo

Like the others there is a bit of cautionary concern over this issue.

While I cannot speak for DukeInMaine he is a reloading instructor and I would bet he would also agree on this issue.

Severe over-pressure as shown in the photograph are signs that there is a dangerous problem developing.

While I am not into constant references to personal stories, there is an older gentleman at the local range (former, I have moved) that is now missing his right eye. He continued to load hotter rounds until he hit the point where his rifle failed - the over pressure sent most of the bolt pieces into his face. As luck would have it someone was there to help get him to the emergency room or he would have bleed to death on the bench.

We would all prefer that you stick with us here and not end up in a bad situation.
    Just fold copper on lead...

xfox I just want to say if you keep up this kind of system of reloading the next time it may be the rifle and not the brass that comes apart. In plain words you may die if you keep this up or very possibly be crippled.

Boolit Buddy

i totally agree with what many others have said about xfoxofshogo pushing himself further than actual safe limits. JAMES, please.. there is a point where going overboard is beyond stupidity, but bridging upon retarded. not meant as a bash on you bro.. but be safe. your rifle may take this abuse a few times, but each time your developing cracks and weakness in the chamber.. all it takes is one to many times then its to late. i am one to keep things safe, even if your shooting alone.. it doesn't matter..

please don't do that sort of thing again, and we don't want to hear about you doing it again for that matter. last thing we want is a newbie reading about you overloading your rifle and living to tell about it, then go and do it himself and kill himself or someone else in the process. there's a certain point of responsibility to not only those who you shot with, but those who you share your knowledge with.

i do know that xfoxofshogo (james) uses lock down vise, and sandbag shelters when doing crazy stuff, i know he takes the extra steps to ensure he's safe to himself and others.. but many people here don't know this, nor would a passer by reader newbie who happens to land here.

anyways, this is my 2 cents.. I've always said that the fastest bullet is not always the most accurate. its the predictable bullet that is accurate.

thanks,
    Dan Rickard
    Owner of Kaine Dies.

Boolit Buddy
    YIKES"""" Good thing it,s a 700 Remington

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    YIKES"""" Good thing it,s a 700 Remington
    xfox uses a AR platform.. the rem 700 was heliman who didn't do crazy stuff.

Banned
    ok back on track 224 if you sewage then right they will not fly apart corbin makes a tool to cut the out side of the jackets on the 224 to help the expand has eney one tried this tool on some built s

Are the three previous posts in English or some other language???

Boolit Buddy
    I am not native speaker and english is not my mother tongue language but at least I am not messing this nice informative forum.

Today I finalized my core cutter and was able to get the weight of five bullets between 55.02-55.12gr what is not bad at all.
    To remark with Kaine dies.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rasto View Post
    I am not native speaker and english is not my mother tongue language but at least I am not messing this nice informative forum.

Today I finalized my core cutter and was able to get the weight of five bullets between 55.02-55.12gr what is not bad at all.
    To remark with Kaine dies.

nice core wire cutter rasto.. really nice..

where did you get the lead wire from? wouldn't mind having a source on lead wire..

thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tbird1960 View Post
    Are the three previous posts in English or some other language???
    It can sure be a chore to sort out, and the spell checker must be exhausted, but if you sound out most of it, you can sometimes get the gist. Xfox your posts are hard to read and that is a fact.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"