WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Heads Up on Ruger #1 Safety Button

Heads Up on Ruger #1 Safety Button

There is hope for all of us having brass hang up on that button.
    I'm going to get 2 of them!
    http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100221987
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Thanks, I have a few #1's this will make an improvement.

Boolit Mold
    For $60, I think I'll make use of a hacksaw and a file.

Boolit Master
    I am such a brass grabber, that seldom does a piece of brass hit the table or ground.

The safety button shown is a class piece of hardware, without a doubt, but I am like the last poster and for $60 I can do it myself. Little bit of time and some cold blue and be good to go.

One thing in their add should be left out, or maybe better said, and that is the hit at a cast safety button.

Better said would simply be, our safety button is machined from solid steel --------- etc.

They turned my crank, OK so I'm picky, as there are just too many very good and high quality firearm parts and related items which are "cast."

So, as said, picky but it could have been better said in the ad for what appears to be a high quality and class safety button.

Thanks for post the link for this product. If I wasn't such a died in the wool do it my selfer, I could go that way.

However, it has the ol'thinker figuring about weather or not I'd want to add a little bit of metal before I start the reshaping.

This is kind of like I'd like to own a marlin so I could redo the lever myself.

Guess it is about the same kind of personal satisfaction that has me now casting my own hunting boolits!

Thanks again for posting the link!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Just tilt the rifle to the right about 30 degrees as you open the lever.
    The cases will miss the safety and the cost is $0.00.
    EDG

Easier said than done if you're headed into the field with big black horney critters around. ( I want to go to Africa for a CAPE BUFF.) If you're at the range it's easy to kick it open slowly and grab the brass. In the woods I don't care if I loose a piece or two. And you can always lighten up on the extractor spring for range time.

Easy! One shot one kill.

Boolit Grand Master

My #1 Tropical got its tip clipped the day I brought it home.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have used a few Ruger No1s, a 220Swift I had many years ago, my current ones, 3x 338WMs and a 416Rigby, I can't say I have noticed a problem. I will have a good look at them tomorrow. The file and cold blue sounds like the way to go. They are classy looking though.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Some time ago, when Hamilton Bowen worked on #1's, he did a custom safety for the #1 that was absolutely beautiful. If I'm remembering right, he didn't just swap switches, but had to do quite a bit of work to the tang as well.
    And it was a darn sight more than $60.00.

Having said that, with what little I've used my 2 #1's, brass hanging up has never been an issue.

Boolit Mold
    EDG, I tried your 30 degree trick and ended up with the same result. On both my .375 H&H and .300 H&H an empty case bounces right back into the chamber. Not good for a quick second shot. Bad enough loading quickly under a low mounted scope. Have often wondered why Ruger has not addressed the problem. A simple redesign of the button seems in order. Cp

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The traditional shotgun safetys are reasonably long and tapered and have a smallish unobtrusive button in the middle usually. That would be a more sensible design.

Bugger! The firm listed about are happy to ship to Australia, D'Oh! Temptations!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I like the safety the way it is, I don't have to crawl around on the ground looking for my empties.