MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Marlin 1894 fire sights

Marlin 1894 fire sights

Ok, so I purchased some Williams Fire Sights for my Marlin 1894p today and installed them this evening in a snap. great addition,But to my dismay the red tube on the front sight just slips right out of the sight??, It looks like it is slightly melted on one end, should I just use a bit of epoxy on it or melt the end? Any help would be great.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Melting the end towards you could mess up the light-transmitting ability of the sight. I would super-glue or epoxy it in place.

Boolit Buddy
    X2 super glue or epoxy it in place!

I have some permatex 5 minute epoxy I will use.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Mind Your Business-Benjamin Franklin 1776 Motto

Boolit Master

I would epoxy it. Superglue has a tendency to crack. Then I would call them and ask them to send a replacement that works.

Vendor Sponsor

All of the fireoptic sights I have came with red tubes, but I want green, so you cut the one in the sight and remove it from both ends.

Then you melt one end of your new tube with a bic lighter or better yet a small crack pipe torch. The you install it into the sight and cut it so there is about 1/16" sticking out.

Then you hit the end with the torch and it's in there.

Please note it only takes a second of flame to do this. But what you are looking for is an even round bead on the end of the fibreoptic tube.

Believe me this is not hard to do! You can handle it!

Also when you want to change it, you just cut it and thread in a new piece. Instead of trying to remove epoxy.

I got these instructions off my Dawson sights that I have on all my Glocks. I've done 5 of them as well as some for other people. Takes one minute to do.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

W.R.Buchanan--- If there is a melt ball on the tube facing me will it still be bright. the stick that is currently in there has a ball only on one end, I noticed that it does not seem as bright as the cut end. Where can I obtain the glow sticks to replace them in the future?

Thanks,
    Dave

Vendor Sponsor

Yes : it will be perfect, and bright, that's the whole idea.

You only hit the end for a second with the torch just enough to make the ball end form.

You can get the replacement material from Brownells and it is very inexpensive and comes in a variety of sizes which you would match to your application.

The "crack pipe torch" I talk about is one click above a Bic lighter, and some small torches actually use Bic lighters for the flame. Point is you don't need a big hot flame, but it does need to be a focused "Clean Flame". No wooden matches here please. You literally touch the end of the plastic for about 1 second at a time. It may take multiple passes to get the ball formed but it won't take much.

Here's a pic of the one on my G21 It is very prominent in the direct sunlight, and just very bright in normal ambient light. Still very bright on even a foggy day!

believe me you can't go wrong here.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Thanks Randy, worked like a charm. I also checked out Brownells and I am going to order some replacements to keep on hand. I also like the green on that Glock, nice.

Dave

Vendor Sponsor

Good to hear my instructions actually work! Sometimes,,,

Glad it worked out for you.

Randy