Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: lead boolit success

Boolit Master

lead boolit success

This year was an especially successful one during both centerfire and muzzleloader deer seasons.
    The versatility of the 375 H&H was demonstrated once again. As we all know the 375 is a great cartridge for just about any game in the world when loaded with the proper bullet or in my case boolit. I used a 375449, 270 gr. cast from wheel weights at about 1800'/s. This is a mild load for the 375, yet due to the size of the boolit it is still deadly on whitetail. The shot was placed just behind the shoulder at approximately 90 yards. It was a pass through shot and left a very visible blood trail for about 70 yards. I was very pleased with the effectiveness of the boolit. Due to boolit placement there was virtually no damage to the shoulders or other major meat areas.
    My TC Renegade in .54 cal was used for the muzzleloader portion this year. I used a 400 gr. Maxi-ball ahead of 70 gr. of Pyrodex. The distance was about 65 yards to this small buck. I have to admit that the shot was about three inches too far back so it wasn't a slam dunk like I wanted but the deer piled up after about 60 yards. All things considered, the big maxi did a good job even when I didn't.
    I was delighted to harvest two whitetail this year with boolits that I made. I enjoy the whole process from casting, loading, hunting, harvesting. I usually try to cut up one deer each year but the weather was so warm that I opted to have it processed to avoid any meat damage due to warm temperatures.

Congratulations on both deer. Wow a .375 H&H. That cast load ought to be a real thumper.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

Outstanding!

I was zero for cast boolits this year, but three for j-words! (best year for me ever!)

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been trying to convince my friend that his "tree & tree quarter" would be a dynamite whitetail gun with cast. I even cast him a bunch and loaded a very accurate load. Mild is certainly the word for what is normally a teeth rattling rifle. He is amused at my thoughts but sticks with the proven "J" bullets. Oh well. Someday.
    Congrats on your successes.

Boolit Master
    The friend that helped me get out my elk this year, has been watching the fun and RESULTS I have been having with cast boolits in my 45/70, and he was talking a week or so ago about loading cast for his 375.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    Crusty, I load the BRP 310gr boolit in front of 4759 in my H&H. 2000fps and will go in about 1.5" @100, less if I really try hard to keep the group size down.

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't matter how many times you head out to the woods. You get that same feeling every time you come home with the meat. For me, a NICE 8 point, a huge doe and 2 smaller does.
    The last one was just a few days ago and was a wounded 6 point that two guys were tracking. I suspected it was theirs as I could see them once in a while from my stand coming in my general direction. They were a little leery at first but we soon had that worked out when I told them I had already had it figured out it was theirs.
    They were a couple of very happy campers when I offered to take it back to their truck with my tractor. They were pretty tired by that point.
    Mine were all taken with a 30-06, Ranch Dogs 160-170 30 cal TL FN and 27 1/2 gr of 5744.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"

Yes cast do kill! My 458AccRel with 460 325 gc from Accurate Mold at 2100 has no problem! Clint

Boolit Master
    Hate to put down the 45/70, but have had such great results with the WFN boolits in that rifle I am giving some thought to seeing about putting a critter on the ground with the .44 RedHawk while I still have some hunting days left.

Have a 310gr LBT/LFN boolit for the .44, so just might give it a bit of a go again.?.?.?

Having so much fun and good results with the 45/70, I really am questioning the handgun thing.

I am pretty much a meat hunter, so don't like mess'in up my chances.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Congrats on the deer. I thoroughly enjoy hearing about people using big bores to hunt mid size game.

I like using my 458 WM to hunt with from time to time. People look at me like I am crazy. Just like you I develope a load for whatever I am hunting. congrats again.

Boolit Buddy
    so I am not crazy using the 45-70 on ground hogs...lol

Boolit Master
    Your not crazy if'n your ground hogs are as big and mean as those here in Ideeeeho.

Never can be to careful and there is no such thing as too dead.

However, it is fun to watch a "hog" go into orbit after a hit from a 22-250!

CDOC

Boolit Buddy
    I carry both 44 s&w 629, and my meat gun.My old reliable model 70.Score 5 for handgun,best guess 55-60 for the 06.And cast do work very well in the 44 mag.

Boolit Master

whew huntnman that is a trainload of deer. Your chosen forum name fits you pretty well. You have chosen two very good calibers for your endeavor. Nice going. Other than an occasional squirrel, I have never hunted with a handgun. I might give it a try someday. Would add some challenge to it for sure.