Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: need a fun 22 rifle

Boolit Buddy
    if your wanting to stick to lever guns, you might give the henry 22 lever gun a look, i have one as well as a 10/22, both are accurate and fun to shoot
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master

think the 10/22 needs a look have not herd a bad thing about it the AR style look like alot of fun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I guess it depends on what is fun for you

making itty bitty groups

filling cans with holes fast as possible

silhouettes at 40, 60, 80, and 100 meters

dropping squirrels

we have several of the savage Mark II rifles for the 4H club , they don't jam as they are bolts they will feed anything , the only thing they don't do is make lots of holes fast like a semi auto

we use the target version with aperture sights , as does the biathlon club , they are the straightest little shooting rifles for the $$ , as youth shooting sports groups get them for a nice discount also from the cmp

i think they make a 10 round mag for them now , ours are 5 rnd mags

Boolit Master

I saw a martini action single shot 22 that I told the kids they could get for me, But I don't think they thought I was serious. My Birthday came and went and no rifle showed up.

Lot of really good guns listed here. Many that I have never shot but I can say that I really enjoy shooting my 10-22.

JD

Boolit Man

Yep, fun gun and darn accurate - Ruger 10/22. Enough aftermarket goodies to keep most folks happy for a long, long time. G

Boolit Master

i think im going to get the ruger SR 22 RSC it just looks like a lot of fun
    this will be my first black gun lol
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger 10/22.

Common, reasonably priced, can be found used.
    There is probably no other rifle with more aftermarket parts and accessories to be had.

A Power Custom, Rimfire Tech, or Volquartsen matched trigger and sear can do wonders to a basic rifle.
    THen there are barrels, stocks, sights, ect.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    No question: Henry lever. Got a 10/22, Rem Fieldmaster, Wincherster bolt, and a few others. Hands down, the Henry is the most accurate. It's got some "cheap" factors to it, but they are very minor. I grab the Henry almost all the time. Super slick action and good trigger. Frankly, they are all good. I just think the Henry is best. Super easy to break down to clean. It really depends on what you like.

Boolit Master
    I also suggest the 10/22 is likely your best choice, but if you can handle a CZ 452 Full Stock. The CZ has iron sights and also handle a scope. The rest of the CZ rimfire line is also would a look. I have a 10/22 and a CZ. The 10/22 stays in the safe and the CZ always comes out. Your preference may vary. Lastly CZ has ended production of the 452 and the 453 replacing them with the 455 which I have no experience with. The 452s can still be had with a little looking.

I just refinished a 452 stock and the wood beneath the CZ applied finish is beautiful. As CZ presented it it was just OK. CZ 453 has a single set trigger and 452 trigger might need a bit of adjustment which takes inexpensive parts ($15 for a YoDave kit?) or a replacement sear if you want to go higher end ($50?). CZ is just a solid rifle that feels like a rifle in my hands and will last longer then I do. 10/22 in Ruger stock form is interesting but needs work - an unrefined tool without grace. Then again the 10/22 can be fitted out.

Boolit Mold
    how about a stevens favorite I use one for tree rats and have a ton of fun with it, have tane
    sites on it

Boolit Master
    I have owned several dozen Ruger 10-22s over the years but have never kept one long as to me they are a good way to spray bullets but ever the match rifle version that I bought did not shoot as well as I want them to. If you are a bullet sprayer by all means get one. However, my choice of a really fun plinking and accurate hunting rifle is a CZ Scout 452. This is a kids size rifle with a 16 or 18 inch barrel (I never measured it) and the same action as the 452 american. I had a friend do a trigger job to get rid of the creep in the trigger and a put a limb saver slip on recoil pad to give me an extra inch of length of pull. I mounted a Simmons 3 to 9 22 scope on it and I am totally happy with the results. It come with a single shot adapter but it also takes regular CZ 452 magazines so I have them in 5 and 10 round versions. This little rifle is so accurate that it is scary. I shoot at my clubs silhouettes with it regularly at a full 200 yards and have hit up to 10 handgun chicken silhouettes at that range in a row without a miss using Winchester 555 bulk ammo I buy from Walmart, The same ammo does well in it for hunting squirrels and rabbits as well as taking out various varmints I have used it on. This rifle in a small rifle case is a continuous passenger in my car and is used more than any of my other rifles or handguns by a wide margin.

10-22! Mine goes in the truck or on the ATV whenever I'm in the woods. I added some goodies to it. Folding stock,Shilen Match Grade barrel,trigger and bolt upgrades.Usually 1 shot=1 kill.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

My Henry lever shoots justs about anything, I mix shorts, longs and LR's in the tube and never had any problems feeding. I can't tell you how many bricks of Super Colbri I put thu this thing in my cellar. Fun gun with great customer service.

i really like my win 9422mag. never had a prob with it except getting it pried out of my hands. of course sadly, they don't maked them anymore. have had mine for over 20 yrs and is in mint condition but not like new.

edited to say fun factor is off the charts!! 'yotes don't like them much inside 100 yrds!!!

Boolit Master
    Remington 597

T'were it me I'd have to say I would try to find a used Remington Speedmaster. I missed on the only used one I've found here a little bit ago. I'd like to try em out as a short shooter.

Boolit Master
    A Ruger 10/22 and a dress up kit are all ya really need.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master

$140.00 Ruger 10/22. Will digest most anything you put through it. Tempermental though. Individual rifles like their diet. But, all and all prolly the best bang for the buck.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
    My Henry lever shoots justs about anything, I mix shorts, longs and LR's in the tube and never had any problems feeding. I can't tell you how many bricks of Super Colbri I put thu this thing in my cellar. Fun gun with great customer service.
    My "Second" would be this pound of butter. I have never laid hands on a slicker lever action than this. It's action is flawless and just a fun plinker. Not to mention just a good lookin' rifle to boot.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne