RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Fair price for sorted WWs?

Boolit Mold

Fair price for sorted WWs?

Thinking of liquidating my small stockpile of WW. I'm getting ready to move and the idea of not having to drag lead with me is sounding pretty nice right now. What do you guys consider a fair price (flat rate shipping included) for 50lb boxes of sorted (no valve stems or other debris, no zinc or steel left to the best of my knowledge) clip-on WWs?

Boolit Buddy
    You'll get prices kinda all over the place. For me I'd pay about 1/2 what buying smelted lead on this site goes for. So that's about 25.00-30.00 for your 50 lb box of COWW shipped.
    But that's all I can afford also.
    Roger

Boolit Master
    You can always run a reverse auction: Start it at a high price and then drop the price a dollar each day until they start selling.

Tell people up front that is what you are doing, so they know what you are doing.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    You can always run a reverse auction: Start it at a high price and then drop the price a dollar each day until they start selling.

Tell people up front that is what you are doing, so they know what you are doing.
    That's a good idea, thanks. I'm kind of torn between keeping them for a rainy day and just selling them off to someone who will put them to use. Really worried about that structural integrity of these flat rate boxes too.

Boolit Master

I would sell mine for $0.65 per pound sorted and unsmelted. Any less and I'd smelt into ingots, then sell for $1.00 per pound, or just keep it!

That would be $44.50 shipped in your scenario above, 50 lb. medium FRB with delivery confirmation..

Banned

just set a price they'll buy them or not.
    but the 45 or so sounds fair.

Boolit Master
    Or you could mail them to yourself.......

Dan

How much are we talking about? You could move 330#+ in (3) 3 gal buckets.

Boolit Buddy
    Got an opportunity to buy WW from truck tires...any different ? Guy wants a $1.00 per pound...seems high but with the way its headed...how long before I regret not taking them ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedly View Post
    Got an opportunity to buy WW from truck tires...any different ? Guy wants a $1.00 per pound...seems high but with the way its headed...how long before I regret not taking them ?
    You do get more lead and less clips because (I think I'm right in saying this) they're usually larger than normal car weights. But, you can buy them already in ingots for just over, if not exactly, $1.00 per pound so I would tend to say no on this venture. Just my opinion! -Brad

Boolit Master
    Tedly, a buck a pound for wheelweights is too much, as birdadly says. You can buy cleaned and fluxed lead here from several different sources at that price...

...unless you figure you are paying for the entertainment of melting them down yourself.

Copy a post of one of the vendors selling clean ingots and their prices to take back down to "the Guy" who wants a buck a pound so you have something with which to negotiate.

I ran into a repair shop that also handled tires and asked for WW's. The owner let me know he had 2 5 gal buckets for sale. I should have picked up on the "for sale" comment. Anyway, I asked him how much and he let me know he had a guy who paid him $90 / pail. I thanked him, told him to have a nice day and left. If we start paying $1.00 / lb for unsorted, unsmelted WW's, we'll shoot ourselves in the foot and drive up the prices. It won't take a rocket scientist for them to realize that a severe shortage of lead WW's will demand higher prices. I know we will have to pay more in the near future, but I wouldn't jump the gun too quickly.

Boolit Master

I had one tell me he has a guy that pays him .95 RAW, I just bid him good day.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I have to pay close to a dollar a pound for WWs and taking into account my gas expense, time and the trouble of sorting, cleaning, smelting and pigging.....

I'll just buy it from people right here and have it delivered to my door. Open the box and it's ready to go in the pot.

Boolit Master

i would think that $35. for 50# raw W/W would be a fair price
    well thats what i would like to pay
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

don't sell to cheap

I'm in the same boat you're in. Want to retire and move and don't care to take the excess with me. I've been selling WW for $45.00 50# flat rate box shipped.
    I sort out as much garbage as my patience allows and fill the box up. They get stick-on and anything that resembles a WW.
    What some folks do not understand IS, the lead WW is not used any longer. As in not green.

I pay .39/lb here.

Boolit Master
    This is one area where we on this side of the world are lucky, I was offered, 48 KG for $25 last week. Passed it up as that is way more than I usually get it for.

Boolit Master

Market value at the time of purchase,anything other than that,leave it!! .27 cents a lb. 2 days ago!!Downward trend... =Yeah!!

http://www.scrapindex.com/metal/usa/lead/index.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=lead
    Last edited by GT27; 12-17-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: addy link
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!