RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger BH question

Vendor Sponsor

I have to interject here. This mysterious subject of "timing" and how it can just be redone by some skilled smith is just non sense.

The cylinder is timed to the frame by the position of the locking pawl which can't be moved and by the notches on the cylinder which can't be moved,,, at least very easily. Those notches are milled into the cylinder at the time of manufacture and are pretty much fixed in relation to the chambers. There can be errors. All of the features of the cylinder are timed to a Zero point. If the cylinder doesn't line up with something else it is becasue of alignment not timing.

The only way to retime a revolver is to recut the locking notches.. Nobody does this. You start over with a blank cylinder and line bore new chambers. You are not changing the timing, it is fixed at the cylinder.

Only the alignment is variable. Line boring is one way to correct this if it is very far off. But still in this option the locking notches dictate where the cylinder is located with respect to the frame and ultimately the barrrel. If the barrel is not located in the frame in the correct position then you've got problems that are going to be very difficult to fix. Best to start over with a different gun.

Loose locking notches, a few .000 either way provide some small amount of self alignment as the bullet bridges the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. a cylinder that allows .02-.030 of movemnet needs either an oversized pawl or a new cylinder or both. It doesn't need to be "re-timed" it needs to be "re-aligned"

The forcing cone acts as a funnel to make alignment happen easier, and allow for a small amount of misalignment IE manufacturing tolerances. . If a cylinder locks up with little or no movement then each chamber had better be perfectly aligned with the bore or it ain't gonna shoot right. It has nothing to do with timing.

"Tiiming" is a term which is misused alot. In mechanical things it has to do with "WHEN" things line up, not "HOW" they line up. "Alignment'' best describes "HOW" things line up.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I have to interject here. This mysterious subject of "timing" and how it can just be redone by some skilled smith is just non sense.Randy
    Are you saying that the action in a gun cannot be improperly timed? I ask because I handed a single action to a well-known gunsmith once and he remarked that the action was perfectly timed.

Boolit Master
    A well timed or perfectly timed revolver will rotate its cylinder into alignment with the bore before the hammer will fall. I've had a J frame that would let the hammer fall before the cylinder was locked up in alignment with the bore. That was out of time.

WRB is correct. However its the common mis-use of a term. Its like folks here saying they worked up an accurate load. What they really mean is they worked up a load that exhibits precision, that is the ability to shoot small groups, be repeatable. Accuracy is a measure of the distance from the the point of aim to the point of impact, or how far from the bullseye the shot landed.

If the cylinder stops moving before the hammer falls, its timed perfectly. Timing doesn't address whether or not the chamber axis coincides with the bore axis. Semantics. Nomenclature. Slang.

Really though I'd rather be casting.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    On one of my three-screw Rugers the bolt drops too soon leaving a 1/4" long turn ring ahead of the leedes. But it shoots so well that I don't mind it being "out of time".

Boolit Grand Master

Pythons are beautifully made, quality guns. I have a number of Colt revolvers (unfortunately,
    not a Python amoung them) and like them, and have done some significant gunsmithing on a Police
    Positive. IMO, there is a good reason that Colt doesn't make their DA revolvers any more. I don't
    know if the Trooper series was different in design than the standard Colt DA design - which the
    Police Positive, Police Positive Special, DS and Python used. These guns force the cylinder to be
    rigidly held between the hand and the cyl bolt with zero rotational slop at the instant of hammer
    drop when they are set up properly.

If the gun is made very closely to perfect, this works great. If there is any error on the
    spacing between cylinders, location of the bolt notches in the cyl, or inconsistency in cyl
    bore spacing, there will be very high forces applied to the hand when the boolit forces the
    cylinder into alignment, which pushes back into the whole of the internal mechanism, basically.

I respect and like Colt revolvers, but facts are facts. The design is significantly less forgiving
    of slight manufacturing tolerances. My guess is that most of the Pythons were made extremely
    accurately and probably didn't suffer much from this design "inflexibility". I'm pretty sure that any
    of these guns cannot be assembled from a box of parts and be expected to just work.
    It is clear that they must be carefully hand fitted, and there are some critical locations which are literally
    points, where if you remove .002" too much, you have to run around and readjust 4 other
    parts to bring it back to where it will work properly.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

The above said is my point exactly. Properly made and properly assembled there is no need for cylinder slop. This is my 3rd Python and I have had 2 Trooper MK3s that all exhibited these traits. I would say maybe 75% of the Smiths I have had did also. Never had or sold to a customer a Ruger that did. You can make them, or you can make them well. I prefer ones that were made well.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Vendor Sponsor

Rather than belabor this discussion about different guns I'd like to move it for a moment to other mechinisms that rotate and index perfectly everytime. These would be the turrets on turret lathes, as they must repeat perfectly everytime or your parts don't come out right. We all know you can't have that.

All of these mechinisms rely on either a tapered pin that goes into a tapered hole or a tapered slot with some kind of wedge going into a tapered slot. Either one of these arraingements result in a lock up that is perfectly indexed everytime as there is no clearance to contend with. IE the postion of the turret and cutting tool is the same every time, referred to as,,,, repeatability.

Revolvers typically use a flat locking lug that goes into a parallel sided slot. This arraingement MUST have some clearance to function, and that clearance will result in"some" cylinder movement, which is a good thing if you can't get the chambers lined up perfectly. But if it is too worn then the chambers are never lined up. As long as the notches in the cylinder are in their correct position the chambers will be in the vacinity of the bore, and ideally coincident with the bore.

The timing portion of the mechinism comes when the locking pawl engages the slot. On Rugers the locking pawl is retracted from the notch as the hammer is withdrawn and immediately drops onto the OD of the cylinder and drags along the outside until the notch comes up and the pawl falls into it locking the cylinder in that position under spring pressure. There is not much to the timing aspect of these guns as the only point is the retract of thepawl and then the rest is controlled by spring pressure. Timing is essentially fixed.

I'm sure other guns operate somewhat differently but the basic function has got to be the same.

The only way I can see to remove all slop from the cylinder is to have a tapered locking pawl that indexes into a tapered slot. I think they do it the other way on purpose as it is very diffficult to get everything to line up perfectly on mass produced device. There is a reason why Pythons were $1100 in 1968 and Rugers are only $500 today.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    On Rugers the locking pawl is retracted from the notch as the hammer is withdrawn and immediately drops onto the OD of the cylinder and drags along the outside
    That applies to new model Ruger actions. On old models as well as Colt saa, the bolt drops into the leede or else it needs to be repaired if you hope to show it off at the next BBQ.

The only way I can see to remove all slop from the cylinder is to have a tapered locking pawl that indexes into a tapered slot. I think they do it the other way on purpose as it is very diffficult to get everything to line up perfectly on mass produced device. There is a reason why Pythons were $1100 in 1968 and Rugers are only $500 today.

True, but you get what you pay for. A Hugo will get you you to the same place as a Caddy, but the trip is a lot nicer in the Caddy.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Vendor Sponsor

I have a friend who has a virtually NIB Python he bought in about 1980. He said it has had maybe 50 rounds thru it. I offered him $1900 for it about a month ago. he refused.

I understand Cadillac perfectly.

They did make nice guns, but nobody could afford them nowadays. Although that point never seems to come up when they talk about 1911's that are $2500 and are production guns. I think they could make a Python and sell it for $2500?

Plenty of people buy those high end 1911's

Randy