Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: anealling

Boolit Bub

anealling

anyone can explain easy way to anneal aluminum for make gas checks. can it be done in a oven? I tried to use a torch but it just melted. any help ?
    Don

Not sure that this is the appropriate sub-forum for gas check stuff but oh well, maybe a moderator will move it over.

I have not annealed any alum in the oven but there are many folks on here that do and if you are going to do a bunch, it might be the best way to go.

If you want to give the torch trick another go I might be able to help you. The best way to go about it is to run the torch across your strips in a continuous motion just slow enough to see the surface texture "change." I'm not sure exactly how to describe the change to you but it will flow down the length of the strip like a wave. If you hold in one place too long it will start to melt and then just disappear into a poof of black soot (bet you already got that part figured out)

If you just can't get the "wave of change" thing down you might try a sharpie marker. draw a line down the length of the strips and run the torch down them just long enough to remove the black line, that should be just about right as well.

As with most things there are a million and one ways to do it, you just have to find the way that works for you.

Good luck!

Boolit Bub

anealling

thanks will try that only got 5 -6 pieces to do there about 10 inches long by 6 wide. there too hard to do gas checks so I thought make them softer will help the punch go thru trying to make 30 cal gas checks 12thou aluminum, soda cans work good but only 4-5 thou thick.Don

The torch method will probaby be easier for you if the strips are cut down first.

Not sure what type of tool you are using but chances are no matter what type it is you will need to cut the material into thinner strips anyway.

Never tried it, but, maybe you can lay the Alum between 2 pieces of steel and then heat the steel up.

Michael Grace