RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: binocular repair

binocular repair

Just got my WWII M17 binoculars back!!! I got them for $20 at a garage sale. They had been dropped or something, no obvious damage but the erectors needed re-collimated so I sent them to Koehlers in IL. This is the 2nd pair I have had them fix. THey do top notch work at a reasonable price!! Have quick turn around also. Can't wait to get out and use them. They are the old B &L quality.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Hi Rich,
    Thanks for the info,I to like old binoculars and have no problem paying to have them fixed! Those WW2 B&L were VERY nice glass! Here is a Brit pair(Kershaw) I had fixed not long ago! The problem is I let my sister look thru them and now they are gone!
    Last edited by seagiant; 02-16-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Boolit Master

I have an old bair of binoculars (7x35) that I bought from Herter's back in the early 70s. I paid $50 back then when $50 was a lot of money. A few years ago opening day of deer season was 10 below in far Northern Wisconsin. The right side fogged up inside. Since I only see with my right eye, it was very inconvenient. Also the right side is the only side with diopter adjustment. The problem went away when it warmed up. I think I'll give Koehlers a try. If I Google them I should be able to find them.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy

rmcc, need more data for Koehlers in IL for Bi-Noc repair . Didn't google Tks Russ.

Boolit Master

I just Googled "Koehler's binocular repair". It's in Libertyville, IL. 630 E. Rockland Rd. Ph. 847-362-7757. It's less than 50mi from my house. Think I'll call them Monday morning.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

rmcc;
    We need an addy.

Seagiant;
    Where did you have the work done?
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master

THANKS Midnight!
    You were too fast for me
    Pepe Ray

Boolit Master

F.Y.I.
    I just spoke with Herb Koehler, before lunch.
    He has NO web site. Communicate by snail mail or Ma Bell.
    If your binoc. problem has anything to do with correcting or in anyway dealing with lens coatings--forget it! If they're scratched or somehow causing a problem , his solution is "removal".
    Otherwise mechanical stuff such as collimation etc. is a GO.
    On hands on examination he will give an estimate of charges but I doubt if he will stand the shipping charges.
    That's all I could find out. He's very friendly on the 'phone.
    Pepe Ray

Sorry guys, should have put address & phone # in post. Thanks Midnight. The first pair I had him go through was a pair of 7 x 50 vintage Bushnells. They felt like they had sand in the ocular lenses and you would need pliers to move the center focus. I shipped them to him and within 2 days of receipt he had called me back with an estimate, $54.00 including shipping. When I got them back if I had not known they were mine I would have thought he had switched them out with old "new"!!! They work perfectly.
    The M17 pair were $122 including return shipping. He collimated them, removed the interior ranging stadia, cleaned all the crud off outside and inside of the lenses and body. When you call Herb you have 100% of his attention. I can't say enough good about the guy. If anyone wants pics of my 2 pair he has done, PM me and I will email to you.

Rich

Boolit Master
    +Hi,
    The guy that repaired my Kershaw was very professional and would talk over the phone but I don't remember "cheap" in the equation! Overall I was happy but would of liked a better price! Links is:http://www.mountainoptics.com/

The pair I always use and probably the brightest bino's ever made is my Russian BPO's I picked these up from a guy on sniper hide new in the box for $150.
    Last edited by seagiant; 03-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Banned
    Hi Guys,
    I saw the thread and had to look.
    I too am a fan of the old glass. I used to cruise the pawn shops and pick up the old ones for $10 or so. They couldn't sell the old ones. They were heavy and scarred up. I'd go through and pick out the heaviest ones I could find. Best glass.
    I got into astronomy years ago and the older stuff is great to look at stars with. I got to know most of the pawn shop owners and I would buy the binos on the contingency that they were pinpoint optics. They may look great when you try them out at the pawnshop, but if the stars were smudges or had tails running off in different directions, they went back. You have to make that clear before purchasing.
    I bought a book on repairing them. I'd have to find it, I've never had to use it. As it turned out the best pair I own is a pair of 7X50 Selsi's that my grandfather bought back in the '40's.
    Last edited by Infidel; 12-24-2011 at 06:36 PM.